Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1jz sc won't keep running? Please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-16, 11:16 PM
Volume123
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1jz sc won't keep running? Please help!!

Hey guys, just for a little recap, I haven't started my sc300 with a 1jz swap in a long time, almost over a year and a half about at this point as I have been gone and no one was able to start her for me. I have been trying all day to start it and just can't seem to get it. It completely turns over and actually starts running for a few seconds but then eventually loses rpm slowly and then dies even if I am hitting the throttle. Although it does have throttle response because it seems to act to the throttle sensitivity when I press the gas but like I said just then slowly bogs down. Is this probably my fuel pump? The only reason I don't think it is , is just because I didn't have any problems what so ever starting it before and I would assume a fuel pump would slowly give out making it harder and harder to start and then eventually completely not be able to start.

Also the only way it starts is when I spray the starting fluid in the filter. Could this possibly just be a fuel filter issue, maybe gotten clogged over the long period sitting?? The only negative thing I notice was the very first time I got it running it looked to smoke from the injector rail for a few puffs but has yet to do that again as I think that was just dust. What other options could I look at trying? Might it be an idle issue ? Also the one other thing I noticed was I had a completely empty tank so I filled it up with 5 gallons and the gauge barely moved on my gas meter, but it did move out of the "negative" and the gas light did turn off I would still assume it would have moved a little more than just above one notch. Any help would be greatly appreciated guys as I will have to be doing this on my own! So basically starting at the easiest solutions and going up in price and difficulty from there as a list would be assume if anyone may have that info as I have never had an issue with keeping a car running from not being started this long, as I would normally notice somrthjng going out and then replace it accordingly.
Old 04-13-16, 05:47 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sounds like you have fresh gas in. I would put another few fresh gallons in though. Pull the plugs and check them to make sure they are not all fouled up. Most likely not a fuel pump. My last fuel pump that died on me was like an on/off switch. It could very well be a fuel filter. They are cheap and easy to replace, so do it. Just make sure you have a flare wrench, because a regular open ended wrench or crescent wrench will strip that fitting easily.

I can't imagine it being an idle problem. Especially if everything worked fine when you drove it last. Good luck and keep us posted
Old 04-13-16, 03:44 PM
Volume123
Driver

I'm thinking fuel pump ecu as I can't hear the fuel pump running and my dad just told me he tried to change out some fuses when he attempted to start it a while ago. I put in 5 fresh gallons I would assume that would be more than enough. I'm thinking either bridge the fp b+ to bypass the fuel pump ecu or its just a simple fuse.

Does anyone know where all of the fuses are that would affect the fuel pump/ fuel pump ecu ? Is there a diagram somewhere as it doesn't state it under my covers like Normal.
Old 04-13-16, 07:28 PM
Volume123
Driver

So I just realized my efi 30 amp fuse was blown, not the main efi fuse but the normal efi fuse. Would this be stopping it from running? I replaced it with another fuse and it instantly blew.
Old 04-14-16, 01:50 AM
Volume123
Driver

if it makes any difference, when I tried to start the car the first time and it actually started with the starting fluid , a little smoke came from the injector rail and kind of smelled like a little electrical burn come to think about it, and I remember when I first tried to start it a while ago the same thing had happened, not sure if that possibly means the injector harness wires may be touching something they shouldn't be ? ... I dunno...not sure if this is irrelevant or not as it may have just been dirt collected from the engine bay over the long time sitting...
Old 04-14-16, 04:14 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If that fuse is blowing, then I'd start there. Chances are that is, or is contributing to, the issue.

Here is link to 1jz wiring diagram:

http://wilbo666.pbworks.com/w/page/4...ngine%20Wiring
Old 04-14-16, 05:18 PM
Volume123
Driver

Originally Posted by LoveSCs
If that fuse is blowing, then I'd start there. Chances are that is, or is contributing to, the issue.

Here is link to 1jz wiring diagram:

http://wilbo666.pbworks.com/w/page/4...ngine%20Wiring
I took the efi relay out and it doesn't blow the fuse but when I put it back in it does...what would or could this mean? And what do you mean by start there ? Start where lol