Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What emissions is not needed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-16, 02:00 PM
Tau511
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What emissions is not needed?

What can you take out of the car if you don't care about the car passing smog/emissions tests? I'm honestly talking everything - convenience like air conditioning/cruise control, emissions equipment, and then cosmetic stuff.

Basically what non-essentials can you remove and still drive the car?
Old 01-25-16, 02:05 PM
pur4orm
Driver

A/C comressor, cat's, O2 sensors , and I think I deleted my TP sensor.
Old 01-25-16, 02:58 PM
freakness
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tau511
What can you take out of the car if you don't care about the car passing smog/emissions tests? I'm honestly talking everything - convenience like air conditioning/cruise control, emissions equipment, and then cosmetic stuff.

Basically what non-essentials can you remove and still drive the car?

Dude,

If you're using the stock ECU then you'll need to keep the O2 sensors, otherwise the sky is the limit.

-

Last edited by freakness; 01-25-16 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-25-16, 04:15 PM
Tau511
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by freakness
Dude,

If you're using the stock ECU the you'll need to keep the O2 sensors, otherwise the sky is the limit.

-
Right keeping the o2 sensors - already planned on that.
Old 01-28-16, 02:22 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Are you turning this into a track car are do you just hate the planet and/or comfort?
Old 01-29-16, 07:59 AM
estomax
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe he is going for maximum weight reduction. if you get rid of the catalytic converter then your car will smell, and you will smell. at least put a high flow cat in there, my wife hated it when i had a test pipe on my car.

realistically just start removing stuff, air bags can go, air bag ecu alone behind the center console is like 5 lbs, go read through the weight reduction thread, it seems that is what you are interested in going for.

i removed the AC on my car as well but it would have been in the way of running the power steering lines and i live up north where i rarely need it. if you remove your AC and put a supra aluminum radiator in there you only need a small fan to keep the car cool. i got rid of the mechanical fan and ran a 40$ cxracing fan for a year, but that died so i put a 100$ flex a lite now that will hopefully last a bit longer.

you can even get rid of your power steering pump, but then steering will be real heavy at low speeds, so if you are trying to go for impracticality it might be right up your alley.

alternator can go also, but then you have to make sure your battery is in good condition and you plug it into a charger every night.

cruise control i removed also, that is an easy one.

ABS can be removed, that has an ECU and a pump and some sensors, you gotta bypass a bunch of brake lines, there are thread about how to do that.

Marko
Old 01-29-16, 09:53 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris9884
Are you turning this into a track car are do you just hate the planet and/or comfort?
Originally Posted by estomax
you can even get rid of your power steering pump, but then steering will be real heavy at low speeds, so if you are trying to go for impracticality it might be right up your alley.
Thanks for the laugh, guys.