Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Who has had their AC fixed / Freon leaks. (AC FIX THREAD)

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-16, 05:52 PM
SCFactory
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Who has had their AC fixed / Freon leaks. (AC FIX THREAD)

HELLO, I decided to make an AC fix thread to help all those looking to fix their AC themselves. I feel the SC300 and sc400 has good bit of AC issues when not maintained this will make it a bit easier for everybody to diagnose their problem. Who has had a Freon leak or AC failure and what did you have to do to get it working again? Describe symptoms, Please post detailed answers and specific parts included i.e. compressor, gaskets, o rings, condenser etc
THANKS
Old 01-11-16, 06:01 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

I have a lot of info on my past issues which have all been solved now. Can't post extensively at the moment but I will once I review some older thread posts and dig out part numbers and aftermarket equivalent part numbers.
Old 01-15-16, 03:11 AM
KahnBB6

Following up to this. Here is a recent thread of mine from when an A/C evaporator core replacement job grew to include a thermal expansion valve replacement, condenser and cleaning out one of the A/C lines (from the drier to condenser).

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...-anything.html

I listed many of the parts I used plus alternative identical parts number Denso sells.

Basically the car had an old and loud compressor in 2010 that began leaking R134a (the car was converted from R12 by the original Lexus dealer in the 1990's) and in addition to a magnetic clutch that spun constantly when not engaged it sounded like the bearings were going so I had the compressor replaced in 2013 with a reman from Driftmotion.

Before that I kept recharging it until I got tired of paying to do so.

I had the A/C high pressure lines and return lines from the compressor replaced with new OEM at the same time.

Then in early 2015 my thermal expansion valve (TX-V) got stuck in one position (can't remember if it was open or closed) which was overworking the compressor from the average 250psi range to 350psi and bottlenecking the system.

So that had to be replaced with an OEM TX-V (Denso will sell you the same part). But since that part bolts onto the original evaporator core which could have possibly been leaking (never was sure) I decided to replace that as well with a Denso unit to be safe.

And that's when I took my mechanic's suggestion to just get a new condenser (and of course a new drier) since the old one was probably original and we wanted to rule out any other possibility of contamination.

It just so happened that the drier unit which was brand new from the previous year or year before had broken (probably from the high pressure of the stuck TX-V... but my mechanic said it was a rare thing to see happen) and contaminated the line that went from it to the condenser. So that pretty much sealed my decision to replace the condenser too.

The Lexus OEM hard line that was contaminated (A/C Drier to A/C Condenser) is DISCONTINUED just for everyone's general knowledge, so like me, you'll want to pay to have it cleaned out. Also, even if it wasn't discontinued the list price on it was hilarious above $500.

We did that and upon inspecting the old condenser with its very worn out and flaking fins the good news was that there didn't appear to be much, if any, contamination to the other side. So good on that and I had the shop put it all together.

One last hiccup was losing pressure due to an R134a o-ring that didn't seat in properly or something. My shop fixed that and recharged it for free and I haven't had an issue since!

After all of that I've been enjoying nice, cold A/C again!

Last edited by KahnBB6; 01-15-16 at 03:18 AM.
Old 01-26-16, 06:21 PM
SCFactory
Pole Position

Thanks for response! Turned out on one of my SCs the ecu AC circuit was bad and causing the compressor to kick on and off randomly
Old 01-27-16, 10:18 AM
KahnBB6

Huh! Was this circuit located inside the engine ECU itself?
Old 01-27-16, 11:21 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Great thread idea!

I have very cold A/C but some sort of regulator or controller isn't working properly and it only blows the coldest or hottest air possible, I cant choose the temperature. You wouldn't think so but even on the 100+ degree days, the AC at it's coldest will freeze you out. 1st world problems, I know :/ ugh.. But its pretty annoying having auto climate and it just blow full arctic air at you.. If anyone has an idea of what to replace or fix that would be killer!
Old 01-27-16, 03:25 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 229 Likes on 209 Posts

^ Wear layers.
Old 01-28-16, 09:39 AM
SCFactory
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Huh! Was this circuit located inside the engine ECU itself?
Yeah I believe their is a pin on the ECU that sends 12v to compressor and it was malfunctioning, moisture was getting in the car maybe fried it.

Last edited by SCFactory; 01-28-16 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-28-16, 09:46 AM
SCFactory
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kris9884
Great thread idea!

I have very cold A/C but some sort of regulator or controller isn't working properly and it only blows the coldest or hottest air possible, I cant choose the temperature. You wouldn't think so but even on the 100+ degree days, the AC at it's coldest will freeze you out. 1st world problems, I know :/ ugh.. But its pretty annoying having auto climate and it just blow full arctic air at you.. If anyone has an idea of what to replace or fix that would be killer!
That could be your heater core control valve it is adjustable through voltage to let in a small amount of hot water to reduce AC temperature based on voltage percent if it is broken it can have only hot or only cold meaning only two positions... Its like this on my friends SC I should be working on it soon.
Old 01-28-16, 10:00 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by SCFactory
That could be your heater core control valve it is adjustable through voltage to let in a small amount of hot water to reduce AC temperature based on voltage percent if it is broken it can have only hot or only cold meaning only two positions... Its like this on my friends SC I should be working on it soon.
Oh nice, I thought that was only if the heat didn't work at all, didn't know it could have several effects. I'll grab one this weekend and update this as its the "AC FIX THREAD".. Thanks man
Old 01-28-16, 03:32 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone have any solutions to rusted out hardlines?
Old 01-28-16, 11:04 PM
KahnBB6

Internally rusted or just externally? If it's the latter I would think it depends on whether or not the rust is only only the surface or deeper and a possible compromise to the containment of pressure.

At least with the Drier to Condenser line, that's not even available from Lexus any longer. I don't know the new old stock status of any other SC300/400 AC hard lines. Short of getting a junkyard used replacement in good condition these might have to be made custom in the future when it comes time to outright replacement.