Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-15, 08:20 PM
9Dragnfly2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help!!

I have a 92' SC400 with about 185,XXX miles on it. My problem is it hesitates or skipping while stomping the gas or at higher rpms. You can feel it while on the interstate or trying to pass someone or even wanting to stretch its legs😁 (drove it to class and back today). The car sat for a month until I replaced the cam & crank seals, waterpump, and timing belt. I also replaced the fuel pump because it was on its last leg with a cheap SAP pump (not the same part number as a Denso or Airtrex). I was wanting to know could the pump be the wrong one even though it said it would cross to an Airtex or Denso pump from work (Autozone). The SAP #e2068 and Airtrex #e2082 (the one for a SC400). Orrrrrrr is the timing wrong?? Both cams are lined with the marks and the crank was on 0*. I unplugged the MAF and still ran the same. Both coils, wires, and plugs are about a year old. It does not skip while idling and no CEL (cel does work). Cleaned TB when changing VC gaskets. Never touched TPS since I owned the car. I need someone help before I spend more money or tear the front down again and check timing!!
Old 12-03-15, 10:02 PM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Can you explain me more, what do you mean it hesitates or skips while stomping the gas or at higher rpms?

Does it not give you enough power, does it jump rpms by the sensitivity of your accelerator pedal?

Also since its a 92, did you happen to repair the ECU?
Old 12-04-15, 09:25 AM
9Dragnfly2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DrAtomica
Can you explain me more, what do you mean it hesitates or skips while stomping the gas or at higher rpms?

Does it not give you enough power, does it jump rpms by the sensitivity of your accelerator pedal?

Also since its a 92, did you happen to repair the ECU?

Kinda hard to explain but It's skipping while driving. Like trying to pass a car or trying to enter an interstate it sputters and hesitates but still accelerates. No it does not give me enough power and the rpms does not jump, just slowly gains speed. If you floor it while doing highway speeds it sputters and want go past 80 unless you slowly let it climb itself without flooring it. Never had to repair the ECU. It started after it sat about a month and replaced timing belt. It is still drive able. No funny smells either (like unburdened fuel) or smoking.
Old 12-04-15, 01:14 PM
Bankswood
Lead Lap

I have a 93 400 and it had many of the same problems hesitation issues, rough idle. Over several years I did many things that sort of helped but last week I replaced both coils and BAM! that fixed everything. Might want to replace your coils.
Old 12-04-15, 07:01 PM
9Dragnfly2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bankswood
I have a 93 400 and it had many of the same problems hesitation issues, rough idle. Over several years I did many things that sort of helped but last week I replaced both coils and BAM! that fixed everything. Might want to replace your coils.
Well I replaced one about a year ago. Guess the other is getting ready to go now.
Old 12-06-15, 01:52 AM
acklac7
Rookie

First things first, Pull the ECU and check for leaking diodes. They can cause all sorts of crazy issues and are one of the easiest problems you can eliminate (or diagnose) right off the bat.
Old 12-16-15, 07:05 PM
9Dragnfly2
Driver School Candidate

Well figure out a few days ago that the left cam was off by 1 tooth! Running much better now