Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Na-t block prep : Piston Ring Gap question

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-18, 12:13 PM
73luxury
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Na-t block prep : Piston Ring Gap question

Hey guys I'm about to put my block back together and had a question about piston ring gapping. I have a 93 2jz non vvti n/a motor that im preparing for NA-T. I got the block surfaced and cylinders honed for new rings and head gasket. I bought oem piston rings and was wondering if I can/should gap the rings to oe GTE spec or gap them to its original NA spec because they both have the same bore size? Ive looked at other NA-t build threads and I haven't seen anyone touch the bottom end(stock). THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Old 11-11-18, 01:47 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

What’s your hp goal? 600-700 usually people don’t touch the bottom until you get to 700+ Or so, but it’s good to overbuild it I guess.
more knowledgeable ppl would chime in may have your answer or supraforum technical section of MKIV
Old 11-11-18, 01:59 PM
73luxury
Driver

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
What’s your hp goal? 600-700 usually people don’t touch the bottom until you get to 700+ Or so, but it’s good to overbuild it I guess.
more knowledgeable ppl would chime in may have your answer or supraforum technical section of MKIV
Honestly my goal is 450-550 max, I feel like youre going to tell me NA spec should be fine haha. I know most na-t guys are solid with NA spec. I just want to make sure I can run GTE ring gap accordingly.
Old 11-11-18, 05:15 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 430 Likes on 315 Posts

Piston ring gaps depend on the material of rings . Since you are using stock GE pistons . use their ring gap specs .
Old 11-11-18, 08:11 PM
73luxury
Driver

Originally Posted by gerrb
Piston ring gaps depend on the material of rings . Since you are using stock GE pistons . use their ring gap specs .
okay sounds good, i msged you before i saw this thanks brotha
Old 11-12-18, 02:55 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 430 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by 73luxury
okay sounds good, i msged you before i saw this thanks brotha
got it ...

Not all rings are same , their heat expansion qualities differ for every material used . To complicate it , the top ring gap will differ from the second ring and oil rings because they have different purposes

That said , not all pistons rings will have a universal or one ring gap measurement formula like , Manley piston/rings would differ from CP piston/rings for the very reason that the materials used for their rings would differ. Take note that the amount of heat differs based on the power you make too and so all these have to be taken into consideration so check their manufacturers specs so you can gap them properly. You are using GE stock pistons and rings , check their manufacturer specs / recommendation for your particular power goal and of course use of car. The use of the car plays a role too on that ring gap like how long will the heat be sustained .. more heat needs more gap for metal expansion so the the ring ends won't butt each other or you will have a seized piston ..e.g. a ciruit car will have prolong use of high hp lap after lap where as a street car will just have speed burst for a couple of seconds or minutes

Last edited by gerrb; 11-12-18 at 01:37 PM.