Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Custom Water Neck

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-15, 09:51 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Custom Water Neck

Hey, first off, how difficult is it to remove the water neck on 1JZ/2JZ GTE?

And next, does anyone have a custom water neck and radiator setup so that the coolant pipe isn't cutting across the front of the motor? If so, please post a pic and or details!

Thanks
Old 10-19-15, 12:08 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Its easy to remove....2 bolts and and pull up on the water neck.....be sure to disconnect 2 sensors on it.....

Also why do you need the coolant pipe to not run across the front of your motor...what are you trying to do....

Maybe post up some pics....
Old 10-19-15, 12:55 PM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
Its easy to remove....2 bolts and and pull up on the water neck.....be sure to disconnect 2 sensors on it.....

Also why do you need the coolant pipe to not run across the front of your motor...what are you trying to do....

Maybe post up some pics....
Cool, thanks.

When I put the car away, I want to put in BC264 cams, and while I'm at it, I'm going to get the stock cam gears powder coated. I have the clear upper timing cover, and would like a clear view of the cam gears without the upper radiator pipe in the way. In order to do it, I would need to cut that last elbow off of the water neck so that I have a straight exit out of the head. Then, I would need to have a different radiator with inlet on passenger side.

Now, is this all worth it? Probably not haha. But it will make the bay a little different from everyone else's.

Kind of like how its done in this 240:

Old 10-19-15, 02:21 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

build a na-t then the coolant neck will be on the other side =)
you would likely have to get an aluminum, supra radiator and have a welder move the neck to the other side, then also make a custom water neck for the block side. probably not worth it but would be unique.
Old 10-19-15, 03:59 PM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
build a na-t then the coolant neck will be on the other side =)
you would likely have to get an aluminum, supra radiator and have a welder move the neck to the other side, then also make a custom water neck for the block side. probably not worth it but would be unique.
hahaha

I think I can probably just cut the elbow off of the water neck, and maybe have it milled down a bit about 1/8" off the edge to create a little barb to clamp the hose on. Then I should be able to grab any radiator of similar size with inlet on passenger side. I think I'm going to do this. Might also get the neck power coated turbo gray to match the turbo..
Old 10-19-15, 04:43 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Also you can still clearly see the cam gears even with the water pipe going across front of engine..
Old 10-19-15, 05:10 PM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
Also you can still clearly see the cam gears even with the water pipe going across front of engine..
yeah, a little bit, but obviously not as good as if it wasn't there haha. I also think it would just look a whole lot cleaner going straight in. I guess we'll see...
Old 10-20-15, 12:45 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

check out aftermarket radiators for the 3VZFE, they have the waterneck on the other side, normally came on pickups and 4runners. not sure how wide they are the supra/SC ones seem pretty wide but you can do some more research on ones that might fit.

Still I would go with a high performance SC/supra radiator and have them move the outlet to the other side, that way itll bolt in and be the right size. shops move the outlets all the time. its a simple job for a shop with the right tools.
Old 10-21-15, 04:04 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
check out aftermarket radiators for the 3VZFE, they have the waterneck on the other side, normally came on pickups and 4runners. not sure how wide they are the supra/SC ones seem pretty wide but you can do some more research on ones that might fit.

Still I would go with a high performance SC/supra radiator and have them move the outlet to the other side, that way itll bolt in and be the right size. shops move the outlets all the time. its a simple job for a shop with the right tools.

Thanks Ali! Good find on that ES300 radiator!

I did however end up going with a 79-93 mustang radiator because they had a high performance one with 2 row and 1" tubes. I could not find that for the ES300 radiator. Also, I think maybe that ES300 one may have been just a tad too tall. The Supra one seemed could be a pretty big job because there isn't much meat on the passenger side of the radiator to relocate the inlet to.

Here is the radiator that I got:

It is an American Eagle AE138. It should fit pretty good, but we will see. I will have to do something about the driver side top mount because the filler is right there on this radiator. Also, my intercooler piping may be pretty close to the outlet. But, I will figure it out!
Old 10-21-15, 04:27 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

I am thinking loud here. Isn't there are a reason why the hot pipe is on one side and the cool pipe is on the other side of the radiator ? so coolant can traverse the whole radiator width and be better cooled by incoming air or the pulling effect of the clutch or electric fan ?

With what you are doing , you are both putting them on passenger side... which means some of the hot coolant will just go back and sucked by the water pump still kinda hot or not really cooled ? which in effect do not really maximize the use of the radiator and fan ?

I don't know . Just my $0.02.
Old 10-21-15, 04:57 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gerrb
I am thinking loud here. Isn't there are a reason why the hot pipe is on one side and the cool pipe is on the other side of the radiator ? so coolant can traverse the whole radiator width and be better cooled by incoming air or the pulling effect of the clutch or electric fan ?

With what you are doing , you are both putting them on passenger side... which means some of the hot coolant will just go back and sucked by the water pump still kinda hot or not really cooled ? which in effect do not really maximize the use of the radiator and fan ?

I don't know . Just my $0.02.
While that does seem very logical Gerry, there are lots of radiator designs that have both inlet and outlet on one side. Many Nissan's have them like that. But maybe there is some internal workings of those specific designs that allow it to work that way. In any case, I ended up getting one with inlet/outlet on opposite ends anyway, it's just flip flopped so that I can enter in on the passenger side instead of cutting across the cam cover, then I will have to take the long way back
Old 10-21-15, 06:30 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

ah hah... you wanted to show of your cam gears I guess...

probably so on how those Nissan radiators are constructed , otherwise the coolant do not really use the cooling effect of the face of the radiator.
Old 10-21-15, 07:10 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gerrb
ah hah... you wanted to show of your cam gears I guess...

probably so on how those Nissan radiators are constructed , otherwise the coolant do not really use the cooling effect of the face of the radiator.
hehehe yes sir!