Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Tommorow is going to be my first mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-03, 04:37 PM
BIGONKER
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tommorow is going to be my first mod

i dunno if anyone lives in austin texas (or texas) here but i called up this really good muffler shop and this is what i wana do

buy 2 magnaflow SS 14829
remove resantors (SP)
custom 2.5inch piping

do you guys think this is a good idea? and also how much should all this costs me... so far i know it costs 150 just to get the magnaflows welded on..
Old 04-08-03, 06:08 PM
Tommyd1919
Lead Lap

Default just my 2 cents

Well I do alot of performance work on a verity of different vehicles.. Im my opinion there is nothing better than a quality cat back or turbo back... I have however seen some really nice "custom" jobs but only ones done by places like ATR in Fairplay, SC... Most exhaust shops (at least in my area) are good at what they do and thats putting new stock exhaust in place of rusted out one... I think "most" of these shops performance work is limited to flowmasters on 90 Caprices and Mustangs (which I also have)... I read a post from a CL member (his name excapes me) and he said "instead of putting cheap mods on your car save a little longer and buy quality, the good stuff). I build all my cars on this very principle... Unless you know the work of this shop and REALLY trust them then save up and get a cat back. If not I would be willing to bet after this is done you will either wish or even eventually spend the money and get a catback... Or even like a Blitz axle back...I think and again this is only my opinion if you have a "midas" or "meineke" style shop do your exhaust you will be left wanting... My 2 cents....
Old 04-08-03, 06:31 PM
BIGONKER
Driver School Candidate

i have been looking for exhaust and i find they are only for the sc3 though, and i have sc4 . do you know if any companys do catback exhaust for sc4, the only one i could find was 2000 bucks and i just dont have that much money to spend right now. but if all goes well ( i feel this company really knows what they are doing) do you think it will be a good setup? or should i change something?
Old 04-08-03, 06:49 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

It should cost about another $200 to $250 for the piping and to remove the resonators. If you're looking for a cat back exhaust I know Borla makes a pretty decent one for about $650. I think JIC makes one too.
Old 04-08-03, 07:18 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Borla doesn't make a catback; its an axle back and a waste of money

a custom catback should be just fine provided the shop does decent work... ask around the hangouts and see who does good exhaust work... some people are just good at it and some really suck

my single 3" exhaust cost me $150 total including parts and labor

a dual system should be around $250-$300 total

Last edited by Bean; 04-08-03 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-08-03, 07:27 PM
Vegassc400
Lexus Champion

I had a local street rod shop do a full cat back with 2.5" piping and install mufflers for about $200. They did great work and I was pretty impressed. Definate increase in throttle response. Have to find a reputable shop though. I'd go to a race day out at the local track and talk to people. Get some good info talking to them.

After I posted I realized Borla was axel back. Duhh.
Old 04-08-03, 08:15 PM
Tommyd1919
Lead Lap

Default oops

I didn't pay close enough attention to see you had a 400... To be honest around here there is really no good "performance " style exhaust shops..Nobody can mandrel bend only compression bends and I don't like that... The only thing we have is the Masters (golf)... Damn these people why don't they all just go home... (Just kidding Im glad they are here except Martha Burk)
Old 04-08-03, 11:44 PM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just find the right place. It may take a while but you will find one. My exhaust is completely mandrel bent until the muffler flanges. I have not decided on mufflers yet so I had them stop there. Yes it is a restriction. Anyway for everything back from the manifold to the muffler flanges it was around $1250. So figure that with mufflers and piping it will cost you around $1700.