Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

97+ SC300 Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-16, 10:26 AM
glbg
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a Denso radiator on a 98 SC300, I am being quoted for $199 plus shipping. Is the price just right?
Old 03-10-16, 03:23 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by glbg
For a Denso radiator on a 98 SC300, I am being quoted for $199 plus shipping. Is the price just right?
I didn't know denso produced a radiator for the 98 SC300. Do you happen to have the part number?

The only Denso I could find was part number "221-3118" which says 92-97. If you're referring to that, then there is one for sale for $100 on amazon.
Old 03-11-16, 04:05 AM
glbg
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
I didn't know denso produced a radiator for the 98 SC300. Do you happen to have the part number?

The only Denso I could find was part number "221-3118" which says 92-97. If you're referring to that, then there is one for sale for $100 on amazon.
It was quoted to me by Toyolex. He did not put any part#. He just said OEM Denso. I specified to him twice on my email it is for 98 sc300.

In any case, does this part number "221-3118 will fit with my 98 sc300 without any modification?

Thanks
Old 03-14-16, 10:50 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

It was quoted to me by Toyolex. He did not put any part#. He just said OEM Denso. I specified to him twice on my email it is for 98 sc300.

In any case, does this part number "221-3118 will fit with my 98 sc300 without any modification?

Thanks
If it is an oem radiator, then that sounds like a good deal to me.

Everything suggest that the "221-3118" should fit, but I don't have any first hand experience with it, so I can't say with certainty that it'll fit without modification.
Old 03-15-16, 10:31 AM
glbg
Heel & Toe

After speaking to ToyoLex rep, he confirmed to me that it is OEM replacement for Toyota part# 16400-46470. Also, he asked me for the VIN# and confirmed that it is the right part.
Old 03-24-16, 10:25 AM
Halon
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Those rubber pieces you used, those don't just look like a single size, it looks like some reducer, it has a drastic size change on the one end. I'm having a hard time finding something that looks like that.

I find something like this, but it doesn't change sizes like yours.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_439668-37672...tt=rubber+plug

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Here you go, Halon

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...0-5-speed.html

This guide would be 99% the same for a Mishimoto radiator. I suggest you avoid Fluidyne (used to be good, nowadays NOT good).

Supra style radiators don't bolt in 100% without any modification but it's very minimal modification in my opinion. The use of a Supra TT style fan shroud is optional. I did it but that's because I am putting a 2JZGTE into my car and I wanted the TT's auxiliary A/C fan. You can get your stock fan shroud to fit with some extra work. Also, the removable plastic curve that goes underneath your stock SC shroud is the same part used in the same location on a Supra TT shroud.

If you have an automatic SC you need to hook up an aftermarket transmission cooler... but ALL aftermarket radiators for Supras are like that.

And all of these radiators need a small coolant sensor area plugged since we don't have that component but Supras do. That's addressed in the DIY.

Denso still sells a factory SC300 replacement radiator too.

Interesting but not surprising that the 92-96 OEM radiators are actually better than the 97-00 OEM radiators.
Old 03-25-16, 06:06 AM
glbg
Heel & Toe

I am installing the new radiator but the foam around the old radiator is completely worn out on my 98 sc300. where can I get a replacement or other alternatives? I called the dealer and Advance Auto they do not have it.

thanks,
Old 03-25-16, 12:37 PM
glbg
Heel & Toe

Just bought the frost king at Home Depot.
I am installing the new radiator but the foam around the old radiator is completely worn out on my 98 sc300. where can I get a replacement or other alternatives? I called the dealer and Advance Auto they do not have it.

thanks,
Old 03-26-16, 04:14 AM
glbg
Heel & Toe

So Toyolex shipped me the Denso 41409 221-3118. Looks like the same model as for the 97. In terms of fitness, no modification required it fit exactly to my 98 sc300. One minor thing is I have to buy the foam surrounding from home depot.
See some pics.
Attached Thumbnails 97+ SC300 Radiator-sc30098rad1.jpg   97+ SC300 Radiator-sc30098rad2.jpg   97+ SC300 Radiator-sc30098rad3.jpg  
Old 03-26-16, 05:34 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts

Originally Posted by Halon
Those rubber pieces you used, those don't just look like a single size, it looks like some reducer, it has a drastic size change on the one end. I'm having a hard time finding something that looks like that.

I find something like this, but it doesn't change sizes like yours.
http://www.lowes.com/pd_439668-37672...tt=rubber+plug
*PLEASE NOTE: This reply only applies to someone wishing to use an MKIV style radiator as per Halon's question.

Halon,

That piece looks pretty close to one of the pieces I used. What I did was put it into a vise and actually drill it out. The long plastic bits in my thread pictures were intended for small diameter sprinkler connections I think. The "reducer" rubber bits were just in the aisle I was searching for the other rubber bits. I really don't know what they were called.

What I did was just take a measurement of the height I'd need (or maybe someone listed it somewhere) and I went to Lowes and RIFLED through every drawer they had with thick rubber stoppers and other such bits to find what I needed. Those center plastic tubes were just to stabilize the two rubber pieces in between the marine epoxy glue.

The solid rubber stopper that I drilled into (VERY similar to the one you found on Lowes' website) was the one I needed to make a hole just the right size for the radiator guide pins to fit into. It was part of the correct height needed.

The other stopper just needed to be the remainder of the correct height and it didn't matter as much that the hole it had was much larger in diameter. All I wanted to do with that was allow some protrusion of the plastic tubes so that the whole thing would guide in and rest easy on the SC300 stock rubber radiator mounts.

I also let the glue set for a day or two. At least 24 hours before I turned on the engine and drove it.

The plastic tubes inside the custom rubber stoppers were helped into the right depth a bit while the glue was still curing by installing the radiator onto them. However I measured the Koyo radiator guide pins and made sure my custom mounts had enough acceptable depth to accept them to begin with.

When you do this, the most important thing is to keep the height adjustment accurate (refer to my Koyo radiator thread notes) and to find some way to allow the radiator guide pin/posts a secure fit. Once you tighten down the factory SC radiator top clamps it will all hold sturdily into place.

Those plastic tubes protrude down a bit in my SC but they aren't visible unless you get into there and don't hurt anything.

My solution wasn't 100% clean but it did the job very well and I figured the marine epoxy was good for the hot underhood environment.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 03-26-16 at 05:40 AM.
Old 10-11-16, 02:33 PM
SupraTurbo
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So Toyolex shipped me the Denso 41409 221-3118. Looks like the same model as for the 97. In terms of fitness, no modification required it fit exactly to my 98 sc300. One minor thing is I have to buy the foam surrounding from home depot.
See some pics.
Does anyone know if this radiator comes with a built in transmission cooler or if one would still need to buy one separately? If so, which transmission cooler is recommended?

Thanks all.
Old 10-11-16, 08:26 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SupraTurbo
Does anyone know if this radiator comes with a built in transmission cooler or if one would still need to buy one separately? If so, which transmission cooler is recommended?

Thanks all.
All radiators meant for an automatic transmission car should have a factory transmission cooler built in.
Old 10-12-16, 06:26 AM
Halon
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

I have the Denso radiator. You can see it has the Cooler fittings on the bottom.

Old 10-12-16, 07:52 AM
SupraTurbo
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
All radiators meant for an automatic transmission car should have a factory transmission cooler built in.
I have the Denso radiator. You can see it has the Cooler fittings on the bottom.
Great, thank you both.
Old 10-12-16, 08:11 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 237 Likes on 215 Posts

I was looking at that the other day and was curious. I assume some of the radiator space is unused on M/T's (or A/T's with external coolers), being reserved for the tranny cooler?

Quick Reply: 97+ SC300 Radiator