Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

turbosmart manual boost controller!!??

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-15, 09:46 AM
Felts
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbosmart manual boost controller!!??

some people on the forums say this is the easiest and proper way to install a boost controller. others say you have to run vacuum lines from both wastegates and cap off the vsv and other things. will this setup yield proper performance? this is on a 2jzgte with stock twins
Old 06-03-15, 12:25 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I think that way it raises overall boost, but only after turbo 2 comes online.
I believe it goes like this, its been a while so don't flame me if I am a little off, its a complicated system.

so turbo 1 will come online, then hold that psi till 2 comes on (an annoyingly low psi, factory or less), then only after turbo 2 comes online will it let you hit your higher than factory boost levels.
If you have ever driven a tt supra like this, its kinda funny as it rockets to a certain psi cause turbo 1 spools very fast, then mysteriously holds that psi till you cross like 4500rpm's (all precious time you could have been building more boost), then it decides to give you all the extra boost all at once and it can even cause a dip in boost for a split second.

If you drive like that it makes you wonder why you can't raise the boost on turbo 1 to make it seem a little more natural and avoid the long pause in boost.

2 options:
1) (my least favorite) TTC your car like they said above and that gets rid of sequential and you run both hoses to the wastegate etc.. solves the problem but slows down the spool. the boost controller will work on both turbo's simultaneously and both turbos build boost at the same time so there will be no issue of transition between turbo's.

2) (my personal favorite) keep sequential and get turbo 1 some more boost to make it feel more like a normal turbo spooling to redline.
so to get more boost off of turbo 1 and make it seem more like factory with the boost controller as shown, you need to do the "spring mod" but you need to do it to the "EVB".
This will let you get a little more out of turbo 1 up to the transition point, then when it switches to turbo 2 the boost controller you have there will limit the max amount of boost.
this allows the car to feel like its building boost more seamlessly without a long pause. I think it even effects the pre-spool operation of turbo 2.
whatever the details the end result is that it corrects some of the problems with raising boost on the sequential system.

read post 294 in this thread (I just saved you 293 posts of reading the wrong stuff): http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...c+secret+sauce
post 294: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...=1#post9185846

Just an update as an easier method to raise boost on turbo 1 seems to work quite well. Took maybe 10 minutes as it can all be reached easily from on top.

It is basically attaching a spring in the same fashion to the EBV actuator arm as folks do to the wastegate actuator arm.

shenofjo in the tread linked had done it but never confirmed it if worked.
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...=1#post8815641

Well here is mine:

and I can confirm that I am now hitting and holding 12 psi on turbo 1 before transition and its very stable and gives the car just that little bit extra down low that it needed.

just a note. I did use a different way of attaching the spring to the housing. I looped a piece of wire around the housing and made an anchor point for the spring to attach to. This may be why and am seeing more stable boost as compared to the original version as his was not fixed and could slide when it got hot.
I was also surprised at how little info was out there to do this properly when I was looking for it, you think there would be 1000x articles on boost controllers on factory 2jzgte setups, but really all everyone does is uninstall it and go to single turbo or just put them in TTC mode. I love how fast turbo 1 spools on the twins, If I have twins they will be in sequential, just takes a little finessing to get it to spool right after raising the boost.

I know the question wasn't how to raise boost on turbo 1, but trust me if you leave it sequential and just raise the max boost on turbo 2 as you showed, that would have been your next question.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 06-03-15 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-03-15, 04:28 PM
Felts
Driver School Candidate

Thank you so much for this information I'm searching the forums trying to find the right direction and this seems as clear and easy as possible. So doing the ebv mod while leaving my boost controller where it is will work out fine right?
Old 06-03-15, 07:13 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

It should work out fine, first set the boost controller and you will notice the transition point pretty quickly.
then try out springs on the EBV to get the right balance of boost on turbo 1.
Its not necessary but its much more fun to hit 12psi on the first turbo, assuming your turbos are good and can handle it of course.
also this is all assuming sequential operation and a stock GTE ecu of course which controls the twins.

The only thing I can't remember 100% was for the manual boost controller side if it went on the line coming from the VSV like you have pictured, or if the vacuum line bypassed the VSV completely, but you should be able to find that info on supraforums pretty easy or trial and error.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 06-03-15 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-05-15, 03:00 PM
Felts
Driver School Candidate

I read in a couple of places that if the vsv is capped off then it would cause the CEL to illuminate. At the same time I read a lot of people did cap off the vsv and claim thats the best way to do it and then others saying to do it the way my picture has it positioned. I guess ill try it and see what happens! thanks for your help though
Old 06-28-20, 08:13 PM
LexLova
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Felts

some people on the forums say this is the easiest and proper way to install a boost controller. others say you have to run vacuum lines from both wastegates and cap off the vsv and other things. will this setup yield proper performance? this is on a 2jzgte with stock twins

ever sort it out ?