Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

94 SC400 - strange starting issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-15, 12:30 AM
jmax.garage
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 94 SC400 - strange starting issues

Hi guys,

A month ago I traded some AE86 parts and a chassis and ended with a 94 SC400. Like my GS300, I always wanted an SC400. Well, the car was running perfectly fine a week ago when the kill switch got engaged (no crank or spark or fuel - just silent if you turn the key). Checked the driver's side door handle and lo and behold the lock sensor that goes in the cylinder lock was on the inside of the door... Clip was broken up in little pieces...

Got a door lock sensor, installed it and reset the anti-theft system by unlocking/locking the doors 4+ times... it looks like it was successfully reset but here is the kicker:

When I try to turn the car on it now cranks ONCE then it sounds like the starter keeps spinning BUT not cranking... just a constant whine-turning noise...

Just for reference, when the anti-theft was in 'theft mode-aka kill switch on', I would turn the key and NOTHING would happen.

Got new battery and same thing, ONE crank, whine-turning noise in the engine bay...

Details about the car:
- No aftermarket alarm
- I don't have a FOB, just the master key
- Car ran fine until the anti-theft kill switch got engaged due to a bad door-lock sensor
- Door lock sensor got replaced, anti-theft got reset and now car cranks once then whine-spin noise...

All fuses have been checked and we are good.
All main fuses have been tested and we are good.
All relays related to ignition/fuel have been tested and we are good.
Tested wiring an NSS bypass just in case and no change - I do have to mention that if the car is in Neutral and I try to start it, nothing happens, no whine, no crank - nada. If I put it in Park, I get the same thing, crank ONCE then whine-turning noise.

No, I don't wanna replace the starter just yet D its a frigging nightmare on 1UZ''s...

Ideas? Am I missing something?

Oh yeah, found a complete black interior at a local U-Pull and scored that except the seats as they were completely destroyed... but black interior!
Old 03-25-15, 01:58 PM
jmax.garage
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, looks like nobody has an idea on what is going on.....

Everything checks out right.... except the starter.... my list of narrowing down things is now very short and it looks like I am going to end up replacing the starter....

This sucks
Old 04-02-17, 09:33 PM
olddogneed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if your sc400 is like my ls400, pay the $1000-$1200 dollars for a garage to do the job! I have allways been a fair mechanic, even had my own smog shop for a few years, with a 24hr. roadside repair truck for commercial trucks. But, i had no idea what i was getting into just changing a starter in my 91' LS400. This car ran perfect and everything worked, even tho it has 315000 miles on it. Everything i touched just discentigrated! Every electrical connection, every hose, ant most every hose connection. trust me you'll be a lot happier letting a garage deal with trying to find these connections and piece this car back together.
Old 04-04-17, 06:38 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,105 Likes on 994 Posts

Immobilizer in Lexus will let the starter crank but the spark (ignition) does not happen. I am making an assumption that SC does the same.

From the symptoms described it seems the problem is in the solenoid- pinion gear pull out (bendix).

Salim