Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZ-GTE VVT-I Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-17, 01:31 PM
coBBz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1JZ-GTE VVT-I Issues

Just picked up a 1992 original manual sc300 with a 1jzgte vvt-i swap from a soarer. Got it running the other day for it's first time in six years when the owner attempted the swap, but now I'm facing another issue.. car idles fine and starts every time, but when I go to rev it will max out at about 3000 rpms.. no bog, no misfire, or limp mode. Just at WOT it won't go any further than this.

Things I checked:

MAF checks out
Igniter is from a Toyota Camry (DS62) works fine, but not sure if this could be the issue
Cam & Crank Sensor checks out
No Boost Leaks
Gas is refreshed with new gas

Haven't checked TPS or Timing will update once that is done. Any other suggestions will be appreciated thanks.

Last edited by coBBz; 04-04-17 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-06-17, 12:48 PM
coBBz
Driver School Candidate

TPS checks out .6v closed to 3.98v at WOT. Could a faulty fuel pump not let me rev past a certain point?
Old 04-06-17, 02:29 PM
estomax
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

search around this is a common vvti bug, i remember having to do some wiring mod to prevent this when i set up mine, but can't remember off the top of my head right now
Old 04-06-17, 03:16 PM
coBBz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by estomax
search around this is a common vvti bug, i remember having to do some wiring mod to prevent this when i set up mine, but can't remember off the top of my head right now
I've been searching for weeks, but none of the information seems solid. Found a thread mentioning it was a wire I had to cut on one of the body plugs, but people said it was for 95+ models and no one knew anything about what the wire did or the color of it. Maybe that was the mod.. I just want solid information but it seems there isn't much known about the 1jz vvt-i. I'll continue searching though. Appreciate the reply.

Still need to check the timing, a starter signal wire that might be getting 12v even after cranking that another thread mentioned to check, check fuel tank and fuel pump for low pressure..
Old 04-06-17, 03:24 PM
estomax
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you checked the ECU for codes? a bad AFM will do it or maybe an igniter as well. to check codes you gotta jumper the TDCL connector if the person wired it in to the ECU right. that way you get blink codes from the cluster.

here is a wiremap i have.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Old 04-06-17, 03:45 PM
coBBz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by estomax
have you checked the ECU for codes? a bad AFM will do it or maybe an igniter as well. to check codes you gotta jumper the TDCL connector if the person wired it in to the ECU right. that way you get blink codes from the cluster.

here is a wiremap i have.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
ECU is wired to throw codes, threw a bad igniter code and the car would not start. Replaced the igniter with a working one and then I found the rev issue. No codes now. I have a wiring diagram from the Soarer Bible that I also found through my searches and all the wiring checks out. I'm going to check for this issue https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...v-past-3k.html