Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Replacing my motor mounts, how to drop the front subframe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-15, 02:49 PM
ahmedp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing my motor mounts, how to drop the front subframe?

Hey clublexus. It has been a while since I have posted on here. I tried to change my motor mounts on my 96 sc300. I got the supra mounts part #12360-46111. I followed this thread which was really helpful, thanks @motorheaddown. Can someone explain how to remove the subframe? It seems really straightforward, I spent 5+ hours trying to get the subframe down and no luck. I gave up cause it was 11pm by then and I had been working on it since 5pm. This is the thread I used to help me get the part numbers and the procedure.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...placement.html
Old 01-27-15, 09:59 PM
chason
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribing because I was looking into this not that long ago. You may want to change your transmission mount at the same time since you're already in there.
Old 01-29-15, 08:27 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I would've thought removing top and bottom nuts off motor mounts, then use an engine crane(cherry picker or whatever) to raise the block just enough to squeeze a new bushings and and drop it back in place.
I would be careful not to pull on the wiring though.
Old 01-29-15, 09:00 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Would have been much easier to get a engine hoist......undo the 2 bolts for motor mounts in the subframe, pick engine up with hoist and put new ones in....

Or if you dont have access to a hoist.....undo the 2 bolts for motor mounts in subframe....and jack up the engine from underneath

Why are you dropping the subframe...you dont need to do that to change motor mounts

Do like this guy said at the bottom of the link you posted

Last edited by CatManD3W; 01-29-15 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-29-15, 10:32 AM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can get a hoist for as little as 100 bucks and sell it for 100 bucks after your done lol
Old 02-01-15, 01:33 PM
Supra Dr
Moving SC Threads

Received 106 Likes on 75 Posts

Or the easiest way is to support the engine. Remove the brackets from the block &
the nuts on the mounts.
Old 02-03-15, 12:30 AM
ahmedp
Driver School Candidate

Default Initially didn't plan on dropping subframe.

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
Would have been much easier to get a engine hoist......undo the 2 bolts for motor mounts in the subframe, pick engine up with hoist and put new ones in....

Or if you don't have access to a hoist.....undo the 2 bolts for motor mounts in subframe....and jack up the engine from underneath

Why are you dropping the subframe...you don't need to do that to change motor mounts

Do like this guy said at the bottom of the link you posted
I don't have an engine hoist, but I undid the 4 bolts, and jacked up the engine, but the brackets wouldn't clear the motor mount enough for me to squeeze it out.. I didn't think it was a good idea jacking up the engine any more because I felt like I was going to damage something. I jacked it a good 2-4 inches. And it was moving if I pressed the body of the car down, it would rock back and forth but just not high enough to clear the motor mount. Then I attempted to remove the bracket from the block but the exhaust manifold got in the way of one of the nuts and I was exhausted at that point. I gave up then. Doing the side where the intake manifold is much easier than the other side where the oil filter is. So I figured I might as well drop the subframe. Can someone show me (picture) of the bolts to drop the subframe?
Old 02-04-15, 02:20 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

the oil filter is on the intake side. just take a break and undo the brackets.
Old 02-08-15, 02:23 PM
ahmedp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
the oil filter is on the intake side. just take a break and undo the brackets.
K seems like this is the way I will approach it next, so remove the nuts on the motor mounts, then support oil pan with piece of wood and a jack and remove brackets. Do you know if the exhaust manifold also has to be removed? It was dark when I was trying to do it and can't remember if there was another angle I could approach it from.
Old 02-09-15, 09:32 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I haven't done it in with the stock exhaust on there but I would say its possible, you may want to reach some of the bolts from underneath on the front side if you remove some of the plastics which will have to come off to jack up the engine from the oil pan anyways. just get a breaker bar and maybe a swivel socket and go at it.

I might even say break the bolts loose if you can while the mounts are still attached and engine in place, otherwise if you do it after jacking the engine up its going to move around on you and be that much harder to break them loose, probably dangerous as well since its just supported by a jack at that point. do not remove the bolts fully until engine is supported, I would probably support it with the jack and a piece of wood under the pan, crack the bolts loose, the undo the mounts, then jack the motor up, then undo the bolts on the brackets (The ones you broke loose at the beginning). you can really do it however you want just try not to drop the engine on yourself in the process.

Def the intake side (drivers side) does not need to come off, the passenger side I think it can be done without taking the exhaust manifold off, but it might be a little tighter in that area. still worth the trouble though.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 02-09-15 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-15-15, 08:47 PM
wbmx1981
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ahmedp
Hey clublexus. It has been a while since I have posted on here. I tried to change my motor mounts on my 96 sc300. I got the supra mounts part #12360-46111. I followed this thread which was really helpful, thanks @motorheaddown. Can someone explain how to remove the subframe? It seems really straightforward, I spent 5+ hours trying to get the subframe down and no luck. I gave up cause it was 11pm by then and I had been working on it since 5pm. This is the thread I used to help me get the part numbers and the procedure.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...placement.html
Any updates on the mounts? Did you get this done? How did you finally do it? I'm having the same trouble.
Old 02-16-15, 01:21 AM
ahmedp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wbmx1981
Any updates on the mounts? Did you get this done? How did you finally do it? I'm having the same trouble.
I will attempt again today! Since my power steering pump went out I am going to be replacing that too.
Old 07-05-16, 05:05 PM
sc1jzyaboi
Driver School Candidate

so how do i take off the metal brackets off the broken mounts to put on the new mounts? thanks
Hey i have 93 sc300 just swapped out the 2jzge non vvti engine for a 1jzgte non vvti engine. However i brought some beck/arlney motors mounts for the swap for a 93 sc300 but the motor mount pins are in different spots. Also i couldn't get the metal plates off the old mounts so i can put them on the new ones. install the engine tignten the mount bolts but it shakes left to right while pushing the engine by hand. need help thanks

Last edited by sc1jzyaboi; 07-07-16 at 07:35 PM.