Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

car dies for a little then a few mins later starts right up

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-14, 09:23 PM
boostinsc
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Exclamation car dies for a little then a few mins later starts right up

So I drove my sc today and tonight when I pulled in the drive way my car city lights started flickering when I pressed the horn so I gave it some gas for like a min then it just cut off and then after 5 mins later it started on its own wtf shutdown and wouldn't start what seems to be going on is it my battery or alternator I need to get this resolved ASAP it's my daily
Old 12-30-14, 10:45 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's very likely to be your alternator.
If it's an SC300 you want to look on the metal shield below the distributor as typically the reason the alternator starts to go on the SC300 is the distributor will start leaking oil on to the alternator which slowly kills it.

There's two different causes to a distributor leak if that's the case. Either the O-ring seal around the distributor degrades enough for oil to leak out around it. Or the actual distributor case cracks and an internal leak develops. The first requires simply the seal to be replaced. The second requires the actual distributor to be replaced. If there's no oil on the distributor shield and no apparent leak on the alternator I'd recommend taking the car to an auto-parts store and letting them test your alternator and battery to see if there's any problems with them.

Typically flickering lights mean the voltage is decreasing, and the alternator is what maintains voltage while the car is running, so that'd be the first place I'd look if that happened while the car was running. However the fact that it started up after cutting off kind of throws me for a loop, which is why I'd recommend getting your charging system tested if there's no apparent oil leak on the alternator.
Old 12-31-14, 07:06 AM
N1T3MARE
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you re-located your harness that runs through the wheel well? If you have rubbed through the wires, the car can do crazy things.
Old 01-01-15, 02:42 PM
bigwhite
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Theses cars are prone to electrical gremlins. Ive had a loose fuse in my kick panel fusebox and a bad ECU.