Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

4th alternator

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-15, 05:25 PM
covert
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4th alternator

so this last alternator i put in lasted 29 days, the one before it, 6months. I know i have an oil leak, but my mechanic buddy says he's seen a corolla alternator completely covered in oil still running fine. The power steering pump is on the other side and that line beneath the motor looks ok. Any ideas?
Old 06-11-15, 05:47 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

By your description , alternator and PS pump on different sides of engine, I assume that you have an SC300 , is that right ?

Did you say that you have oil leak getting into your alternator ? Can you tell us where the oil is coming from or what part of the alternator is being covered with oil ? You might also have other electrical issues to be burning alternators left and right.
Old 06-11-15, 08:23 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

its usually the distributor o-ring or a cracked plastic inside the distributor that leaks out the side.
the o-ring is easy to change and need to reset timing, a crack inside the distributor calls for replacing the distributor.
it could also be valvecover gaskets if they are bad enough but those would also leak all around like into the plug valley etc...

those are the main ones, but what I don't understand is how you go through 3 alternators without looking to see where the leak is coming from. I am hoping you have an alternator shop or something.
your friend is full of it an alternator covered in oil wont work for more than a couple days if its bad, its not like they are oil proof, fix the leak, then get an alternator.
Old 06-11-15, 04:03 PM
covert
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you for the replies so quickly. I put another alternator in but I do plan on getting the ball rolling with getting the gasket i need right away, the valve cover gaskets look ok, it does appear to have oil around the distributor. my mechanic friend says he saw it on his boys supra a long time ago.and that i can mark them and if i get it back in the same wont have to retime. seems logical right?
Old 06-12-15, 08:37 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

it does seem logical but I would suggest finding someone with a $20 timing light to make sure its timed properly again. marking the dizzy only gets you close not sure why everyone relies on that.