Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Sc400 poor idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-14, 04:34 AM
LexiiBabe
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Sc400 poor idle

Alright so I have a sc400 at 299100 miles now almost 300k. Recently the alternator died on me. It was all black. I'm thinking it is the power steering pump because a month or so earlier I was low on ps fluid. The problem started appearing a couple of days before the alternator died on me. Now after the replacement it does this all the time now. Now I will have to hit the gas for it to stay on. Sometimes if I'm lucky it will stay on by itself after a try or two without hitting the gas. It has a poor idle and sounds so weak. Hate hearing the v8 sound like this. It accelerate so slowing now without hiting the gas but seems fine when I hit the gas. It has also stalled on me a few time when I hit a stop sign. Whenever I stop I'm afraid now because the engine sound so weak it feels like it is gonna turn off. Was going to clean the icav but can't get the damn thing off. I lost one of the screw and another one is stripped so bad but I got it out with a pair of visegrip. But now I can't get the bottom one out. It is stuck on good and I don't want to strip it too. Any input on this. Also any other leads to the poor idle. Here is a link of me starting it and how it sound.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeE6peQv3hw

The last major service on it was back around 03 so Im pretty sure it needs a whole tune up very soon. Cant believe how strong she has been all this time. Was wanting to do the tune up myself when she hits 300k but this problem arrived so I'm probably going to take it to the shop now. Thanks and sorry if its a bit lengthy. Lexi is my first car and I plan on keeping her forever.
Old 09-28-14, 11:14 AM
LexiiBabe
Driver

Just a bump. I went to a local shoo and they are wanting around 800 for a full tune up. That is a lot. What do you guys think. Contemplating on doing it myself now. They also want 100 just to look at the idle problem and that is too much for me life of a college student sucks. I did the paper clip trick on the port in the engine bay and all I got was the cel and overdrive light flashing nothing else. Any body else got any ideas to what my problem is. Thanks. And is it normal for the port to be covered in a brown slime.

Sc400 poor idle-forumrunner_20140928_111314.png
Old 09-28-14, 01:33 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 229 Likes on 209 Posts

That's just old dialectric (?) grease.

As for the tune-up quote, be sure to get an itemized list of what all they would be doing for that $800. The concept of a tune-up is pretty hazy these days, with all the computer controlled stuff and extended maintenance cycles. That could be anywhere from highway robbery to a very good deal, depending on what it entails.

For idle issues, I would start with cleaning your IAC Valve (IACV) and replacing any old, dry vacuum hoses. Those are pretty much free fixes. Maybe clean the throttle body in case it's gunked up.
Old 04-02-15, 10:20 AM
LexiiBabe
Driver

Alright bumping this up again cuz now my Lexi is alive again. Since I had no money I had to bear with her for 5 months like that. After my tax came I began buying parts for her. Got a sweet deal of original water pump, timing belt, and pulley from toyota for 40 dollars on craigslist. Got the tune up kit from rock auto. I switch the plugs and wires. I looked at the caps and decided that I didnt want to deal with it for I don't have time on my side. Now comes the fun part of searching for a reliable shop. So first off I'm asian and an asian shop had opened recently for almost a year. Heard they were good but seems to me that 98 percent of the cars they worked on were civics and acura so didn't really want to send Lexi there. So I went back to that one shop and now they quoting me 768 just to install the parts I bought. So I said noooo way, haha and he also said in a cocky way that he could finish it in a day. Finally decided to help my fellow asian out and see if they could fix her up and guess how much they charged. After everything my total came to only 455. Was soo happy. And they also fixed my idling problem which made me even happier. When he started her up she roared and then purred so silently as she sits. He told me one of the screw on the throttle body was loose so he tighten it and boom it fixed it (gotta check this out). They also finished it in two day even though they had two more cars ahead of me. All in all I'm just happy. Took her for a hour drive after that. Now onto fixing her up some more.