Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Ordering some 5 speed conversion parts, missing anything?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-14, 03:52 PM
Matt300ZXT
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ordering some 5 speed conversion parts, missing anything?

I'm getting a clutch/pressure plate/flywheel from an individual but want to pick the rest of it up from Driftmotion or whoever since I can't find anyone selling the stuff used.

Anyways, here's what's in my list, feel free to add anything I might be missing:

R154 to JZ bellhousing from a seller on Facebook
SC300 pedal set from DM
Clutch hose from DM
SC300 manual shift boot from DM
R154 slave cylinder
Old 08-27-14, 07:45 PM
davvv
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need some fluids,master cylinder, extend the shifter , cut your tunnel if you need to you also need a driveshaft and might as well do the rear seal on the motor and the seal on the back of the tranny too. That's all I could think of
Old 08-27-14, 08:04 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I think the whole center console is different for manual SC cars. How will the electronics work? You might need a PCM from a manual car or do some rewiring, I'd suggest you research that as well. Does yours have traction control? Do you want the cruise control to operate correctly? I know there is a separate circuit for 5 speed cars in the cruise control, if you push the clutch in it disengages.

Also you will need the correct 5 speed cluster that doesn't have PRND on it. That's more of a cosmetic thing, but it would drive me nuts since its something you constantly look at.
Old 08-28-14, 12:36 AM
Matt300ZXT
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well obviously fluids and such, I was mostly talking about stuff to get the transmission in and functioning. I can deal with an ECU or cluster later on. I did forget to order a transmission mount though :-\
Old 08-28-14, 02:49 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I think the whole center console is different for manual SC cars.
Same center console. It's just the shifter bezel with the integrated leather boot that is needed for the interior. The manual bezel even has a Lexus logo that can be pushed out to install factory seat heater switches.

Matt will also need an SC swan shifter or SupraSport V3 shifter with the rare Soarer shift extension (and matching internal shift arm) or a custom extension to the MK3 R154 housing (unless you have a Soarer R154, Matt). The Soarer housing extends approximately 1.125" for use with a swan shifter. I don't recall what the custom extension length is to use a Beech straight shifter.

How will the electronics work? You might need a PCM from a manual car or do some rewiring, I'd suggest you research that as well.
^^ He will need an SC300 M/T ECU or a similar year Supra MKIV 5-speed M/T ECU. Rewiring other than having no Neutral Safety Switch... don't know.

Does yours have traction control? Do you want the cruise control to operate correctly? I know there is a separate circuit for 5 speed cars in the cruise control, if you push the clutch in it disengages.
No 5-speeds originally came with TRAC (and no Supra MKIV 5-speeds had it either). Not sure how it would be preserved with an M/T ECU. Aron, I never knew that about the cruise control circuit. I haven't used cruise control on my car for a while but I do believe you're right: when you disengage the clutch the cruise circuit cuts. I am not sure how it does this if the pedal being pushed in is the trigger to cut off. I have had my neutral safety switch disengaged and cruise operated normally for me.

That's another thing, Matt: if you're doing an R154 swap instead of a W58, your auto car won't have an NSS but get used to starting in neutral anyway (always) and waiting a couple of seconds before depressing the clutch at cold startup. This is the #1 way to prevent crank walk with heavier pressure plates on R154 and V160 transmissions.

Also you will need the correct 5 speed cluster that doesn't have PRND on it. That's more of a cosmetic thing, but it would drive me nuts since its something you constantly look at.
This is true but it's optional and doesn't impede function. It would drive me nuts too but it's not a requirement to his getting everything running correctly.

Matt, you may also want to get a Yellowbox V3 speedo corrector since you may be off once you have the transmission installed.

Other things needed:

USE REDLINE MT-90 TRANSMISSION OIL ONLY!
MKIII Supra R154 front driveshaft (it must have a fat section in the middle).
Shifter housing extension solution (mentioned above)
Swan style shifter (Mentioned above -- this is needed unless you have a really long extension-- no experience with that personally)
Marlin Crawler VSS convertor (screws onto the R154 cable drive area)
R154 Supra transmission mount
Crossmember solution: either Driftmotion's kit or a 1982-85 Celica W58 crossmember which needs to be cut, extended with new steel and welded on the passenger side.

That or you can try Shern's method of using the SC300 W58 mount and SC300 M/T crossmember with only two of four mounting holes. You'd have to decide if you're okay with that or not. I wasn't.

If you're non-turbo for now you can use the cheap OEM Supra MKIII R154 pressure plate and disc. They're just fine for 225hp. If you're already running boost, try to stay with the OEM MKIII pressure plate and use an upgraded disc. There are many variations on this before you get into expensive twin-plate clutches but the general idea is to avoid an overly heavy pressure plate with an R154.

Those are the main things.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 08-28-14 at 02:54 AM.