Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Looking at Flyweels

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-14, 02:15 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Looking at Flyweels

I'm trying to decide on a flywheel for a 2jzgte v160
I was looking at the OEM one but I hear they are heavy, whats a good choice in a after market brand?

Last edited by mikef; 03-21-14 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-20-14, 06:17 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

I've ridden shotgun in a 2JZGTE V160 swapped SC300 with a lightweight aftermarket flywheel and it was chattering LOUDLY. Even the owner agreed that it was a bit annoying compared to the OEM dual-mass flywheel that takes out those vibrations.

I can't personally recommend any aftermarket brand but based on that experience I'd recommend the OEM dual-mass flywheel. It's heavy but not a big deal given the kind of horsepower and torque the engine puts out.

It's just that the aftermarket ones are more or less intended for pure racing applications and not street driving or DD applications.

R154's and W58's can use lightweight flywheels with few downsides in comparison.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 03-21-14 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Grammar correction
Old 03-20-14, 06:27 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thanks for the info, yeah I agree, i guess back to the oem then
Old 03-20-14, 08:27 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From experience of having a 16# entire FW clutch assembly (Tilton quad) stay with the stock FW as long as possible they are a pleasure to drive under the 500ish torque # after that you should really go twin disc and if I could give any advice try to stay on the heavier side on the FW as it makes your clutch a whole lot more user friendly.
Don't get me wrong I love my clutch but it is definetly not a DD clutch.
Then again 1100+ hp is not your typical DD anyway.
Old 03-20-14, 08:37 PM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock V-160 FW bolts are fine but due replace with new and thread lock (blue recommended) on install.
Old 03-21-14, 10:24 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
It's heavy but not a big deal given the kind of horsepower and torque the engine puts out.

It's just that they aftermarket ones are more or less intended for pure racing applications and not street driving or DD applications.

R154's and W58's can use lightweight flywheels with few downsides in comparison.
Exactly!

They have a place, it's just not on a street car. My track toy uses a 9 pound Tilton with 5.25" flywheel with very low MOI. Great for every situation except being driven on the street.

Even if you have a street friendly clutch that's full face and sprung, the bog from a stop takes the joy out of driving. It doesn't gain you any horsepower on a dyno. Launch is incredibly difficult with one.

Do the 5-speed gearboxes chatter with a lightweight flywheel?? Most people attribute the noise to the flywheel but it's actually the gearbox that creates the noise. I figured the 5-speeds would do it as well if you went with a low enough MOI.
Old 03-21-14, 12:42 PM
KahnBB6

^^ INTIMAZY, my guess would be that there might be some chatter on *engagement* if you get a VERY light flywheel. I'm using an OEM 1JZ R154 flywheel on my transmission so I can't say personally.

To my knowledge it doesn't harm the transmission to use a lightweight single-mass flywheel but it sure was loud to my ears.

Conversely, a good friend of mine is getting ready to swap a Getrag-designed Benz 5-speed manual into his diesel Mercedes G-Wagen. It also, from the factory, specifies a dual-mass flywheel which is what he's had to acquire from Germany. There is an alternative single-mass MB manual flywheel that will fit the transmission and engine and works but it won't do anything to quell vibration inherent to the transmission design. He decided to stay with the correct dual-mass to deviate from "factory" as little as possible.

I'm sure they aren't the only company to do things this way but this appears to be a Getrag design methodology to me.

Aside, I believe the Tremec TR6060 6-speed manual used in the Dodge Challenger R/T and SRT8 also uses a dual-mass flywheel. I think that's what I read.

As you and blk&blu*j have said, since you're on Tilton clutches (!!!), at that point can you really call the car a DD/street vehicle more than a track/weekend vehicle?

Last edited by KahnBB6; 03-21-14 at 12:49 PM.
Old 03-21-14, 01:27 PM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Tilton is on my 350z. I wouldn't call it a street car... Last time it was 'street legal', the inspection sticker bar code actually read 1991 Ford Bronco if someone were to scan it.
It chatters like crazy below 2700 RPM. Scares children at bus stops if you don't keep the revs up. Luckily, on a road course you never see anything south of 4000rpm.

I'm on the OEM flywheel on my 1JZ but was considering the Driftmotion flywheel with a twin disk or single disc full-face sprung. Just didn't know if it's light enough to induce chatter. It's strictly a street car.
Old 03-22-14, 02:58 PM
KahnBB6

^^ That's a scary thought. Good point. I bought a brand new 1JZ flywheel and I hope 400hp never stresses it that much.

INTIMAZY, I've heard good things about the OS Giken twin disc clutches for the R154. I'm personally inclined to use the same 7MGTE pressure plate I am using now with a basic Southbend single disc upgrade (I'm not going to have much more than 350whp-380whp max) but beyond that the OS and another brand they sell seem to be good. I believe both such twin disc setups convert the transmission from pull to push. As I've heard, they are very street able.