Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

is vvti 2jzge motor vs sc 2jzge non-vvti motor (bottom end)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-14, 12:27 PM
scott101
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is vvti 2jzge motor vs sc 2jzge non-vvti motor (bottom end)

Hello,
Ive been searching around a bit but havent been able to find a straight answer.

Im wondering what are the differences between a sc300 2jzge bottom end vs an is300 2jz bottom end?

I have only found that the IS has thinner/weaker rods and the sc had thicker stronger rods. Are there any other differences in the bottom ends? Anything on the IS relating the to varibale valve timing?

Im looking for a ge bottom end to use for my 1.5jz (non-vvti) build and all the sc motors have high milage. A vvti is300 motor looks like it might be better (less miles, better condition, comes with newer accessories on it) except for the rods. If I were to swap in the stronger sc300 rods, it seems like that would make the ideal bottom end setup

Id love to hear your input and feedback. Let me know your thoughts

thanks
scott
Old 03-06-14, 02:43 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

blocks are the same, difference is in the rods and maybe pistons. you can rebuild a IS bottom end with the non vvti parts, but that takes effort and dissasembly labor and assembly labor. you would be better off finding a non vvti in good condition already. less miles does not mean better condition and some SC's and supra's have less miles than some IS's, its all relative. and the IS only has a slightly better alternator. rest is arguably about the same.

the bottom end of the SC is so bulletproof I wouldn't let the miles scare me off into looking at IS blocks, I would just do a compression test 200k+ on a n/a 2jzge is really not that taxing to the bottom end as some would leave you to believe, unless they always change the oil late you might be suprpised to find some good compression numbers still, remember its all overbuilt.
Old 03-06-14, 04:44 PM
scott101
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
blocks are the same, difference is in the rods and maybe pistons. you can rebuild a IS bottom end with the non vvti parts, but that takes effort and dissasembly labor and assembly labor. you would be better off finding a non vvti in good condition already. less miles does not mean better condition and some SC's and supra's have less miles than some IS's, its all relative. and the IS only has a slightly better alternator. rest is arguably about the same.

the bottom end of the SC is so bulletproof I wouldn't let the miles scare me off into looking at IS blocks, I would just do a compression test 200k+ on a n/a 2jzge is really not that taxing to the bottom end as some would leave you to believe, unless they always change the oil late you might be suprpised to find some good compression numbers still, remember its all overbuilt.
Good points, thanks for the information. I wouldnt mind swapping pistons and rods but it would be easier to find a ge block in good shape to use.

Thanks
-Scott
Old 03-07-14, 07:46 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

yeah with the price of getting machine and assembly work once you dive in there it will be easier to just pay a little more for a good ge motor, but depending on where you are they are getting harder to find that. If you are planning on building the bottom anyways then starting with an IS block is not a bad idea since you already have it.
Old 03-09-14, 02:57 PM
scott101
Pole Position

yeah with the price of getting machine and assembly work once you dive in there it will be easier to just pay a little more for a good ge motor, but depending on where you are they are getting harder to find that. If you are planning on building the bottom anyways then starting with an IS block is not a bad idea since you already have it.
Ok, ya. I actually dont have anything right now (no bottom end at all), so I will be starting from scratch on this, but I think it will just come down to what type I can find on either block.
-scott
Old 03-10-14, 02:19 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

or if its a street build you can do an IS motor take adcantage of the vvti, run about 7-8lbs and enjoy it like that.
For more power you will have to address the bottom end or trust your tuning to not put you in the condition to break them at higher power levels.
Old 03-15-14, 12:12 PM
scott101
Pole Position

or if its a street build you can do an IS motor take adcantage of the vvti, run about 7-8lbs and enjoy it like that.
For more power you will have to address the bottom end or trust your tuning to not put you in the condition to break them at higher power levels.
that makes sense. I am definitely going to be using higher boost pressure and a non-vvti setup (already have the non-vvti 1jz that im taking parts from).

I just found a vvti bottom end for a good price that I might pick up. Also found a couple non-vvti motors, so I think im going to buy both bottom ends and choose. the vvti bottom end does come with the crank sensor that I am going to need.