Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Fuel Injector Differences ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-14, 09:42 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Fuel Injector Differences ?

Hi all, as usual I'm working on my SC. I bought some refurbished injectors off of chargerfan not too long ago, hoping to swap off mine since I'm doing a bit of an ignition tune up overhaul, and it's quite easy to access on an SC300 once everything is off. Anyways, I didn't do much research on those, and when I was trying to replace them yesterday, I found out that they have different part numbers, in fact they have different colors even. My SC is a 96, it has like a teal color to the injectors' plug, and the ones I bought are I guess from a 92-94 which is color brown. Well, my question is since I already bought these, would it work? I can't seem to find specs of these injectors anywhere. The part number of my 96 injectors is 23250-46050, and the ones I got is 23250-46030. If it wouldn't work, is it worth it to get my injectors off and get them cleaned? The SC has about 163k miles. Thanks in advance guys!
Old 01-29-14, 09:14 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

And not a single F was given. LOL
Old 01-29-14, 09:57 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

96 and 97 injectors are odb2 injectors and have a different size orings at the bottom than 92-94 and also 2 orings instead of 1, and the reason being is there is an oring to seal the injectors that are found on both styles, and the 96-97 has another oring to seal the vacuum chamber around the injectors that toyota introduced to better atomize the fuel flow or something like that. you can see the 96 and 97 lower runners have what looks like a vacuum rail going across where all the injectors sit that is built into the casting, and has a large vacuum line coming from the IACV on the throttle body, and this is not found on the earlier style manifolds 92-94.

I know this because my motor is 95 with the brown injectors and no fancy vacuum rial thing, and I have a 96 motor with a crank sensor, has the fancy rail thing and blue/teal injectors with the different o-rings.

In short, you bought the wrong injectors unless you want to install a 92-94 lower runner and then use the older type of injector. It may be possible to fit them into your newer runners but I have never tried, but do realize they are not the right type of injector and it may or may not seal right as the older style has 1 oring, so you may have to delete the air line part or just re-use your stock injectors if nothing is wrong with them.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 01-29-14 at 10:03 AM.
Old 01-29-14, 10:08 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

As usual really great info Ali. I swear this cars still surprise me after owning the 400 for 4 years now. Anyways, would you or anyone recommend me getting the injectors cleaned or it's fine long as it's working? Is it worth the trouble of getting it off and sending it somewhere for a day or two or I wouldn't even notice any difference on my stock GE engine?
Old 01-29-14, 12:07 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

I hope we are talking about a sc300 here, not sure about injectors on the 400.

typically you don't have to clean the stock injectors unless you notice some issues that wont be solved with a regular tune-up.
I would be surprised if its running well now if you could tell the difference afterwards, likely there will be no difference unless you have a stuck open injector and you would likely throw some codes, or at the least notice it while driving that something isn't right. Injectors that have been in and working are generally good, when you take them out you should use new orings when going back in, they do not need to be cleaned if the car has been in use regularly with good gas and maintanance.

now if the car sits a very long time or you have idle quality issues that wont go away with a set of good plugs, or a used set of injectors with no history, I usually send them in for a cleaning to withchunterperformacne, but any place can do it and if you are brave enough you can refurb them yourself there is a kit on ebay witha youtube video showing you how to remove the old screens and change all the o-rings, only problem is you don't get a readout telling you each one is perfect that keeps you feeling oh so secure at night, and the shops that do the cleaning will give you a before and after flow so you know if one was bad.

you can also tell alot by looking at the bottom holes of the injector where the fuel comes out, and the metal screen on the top where the fuel comes in, if they look all rusty and whatnot then likely there are some contaminants in there that can block flow or sticking up the pintle from opening closing properly. if it looks good and clean, its probably not seen dirty fuel and should continue to do its job.

generally though they are usually in fine shape, if you tap on the side of them and it makes a difference while running they may be a little clogged. I would run what you have, order a set or 96-97 ones in fact 98+ vvti may use the same injectors, and then send the spare off for cleaning. a set shouldn't cost more than 60 or so even on the new kind no one wants them most people who mod them revert to the older runner and run stock of aftermarket injectors.

for other searching, If you are 96+ and you want to make an FFIM, find yourself a pair of 92-95 lower runners and use those, and cap off the line coming off the throttle body or use an an older throttle body that doesn't have one.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 01-29-14 at 12:13 PM.
Old 01-30-14, 12:28 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

That's really good to know Ali. I just thought I might as well since everything is apart right now, just not sure if it would be worth it. The car was surprisingly running and idling perfect even though the spark plug valley was flooded, and I mean flooded with oil coming from leaky valve cover gaskets, the distributor rotor almost already disintegrated, and the PVC valve was leaking oil through the intake manifold. I haven't tried removing the spark plugs yet, I'm still waiting for the towels to completely absorb the oil, who knows what other surprises I am in with this SC. LOL But yeah, I talked to a few shops in town who do cleaning for fuel injectors and they said Toyota/Lexus usually have great reports before and after cleaning. Just proves how bulletproof these cars are.
Old 01-30-14, 02:53 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Those all sound pretty typical I wouldn't even worry about it if its running well, it will run even better without leaking VC gaskets and PCV as those are all metered air that is probably leaking a bit right now.

yeah on a running car that idles well, injectors is not something I think of as a maintenance item really it will last as long as you don't have bad gas going through them and jamming things up or from sitting very extended periods of time without running.

Changing the fuel filter is the only fuel item maintenance I would do, and that will prolong injector life as well.

when you change your plugs give the BKR5EIX-11 a try, a little expensive but the iridiums are worth it they last a long time.