Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1997 sc300 AutoTT Swap USDM 2j TEMP GAUGE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-14, 08:56 PM
acidreian
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1997 sc300 AutoTT Swap USDM 2j TEMP GAUGE HELP!!

I have a clean swapped sc300 with a usdm supra non vvti swap with auto trany and ecu al wiring as far as i know is good everything is super clean. i have the msd tach fixer installed all my gauges work except for my temp gauge i hasn't worked sense i got the car from the previous owner.

I have both the stock 97 2jz-ge temp sendin unit and the supra temp sending units i have tried them both there 1 wire plugs. neither of them work they just peg the temp like way over hot. the brown wire thats supposed to be grounded to the chassis is grounded as titan did this from the original swap.

I have read that the real fix was to ground the 1 unused wire as it is the reason why the temp gauge never works after the swap.

I also read that you are required to soder in a resistor on the cluster to make the gauge read correctly. but no information n the internet is direct and is very misleading.

Please some one who has a working swap with the 1997 cluster with temp sensor working please looking for the real accurate gauge to work.. not a mock up..
Old 01-10-14, 02:24 AM
F4A22
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does the same.
Old 01-10-14, 03:43 AM
acidreian
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation

Originally Posted by F4A22
Mine does the same.
A solution to this madness please
Old 01-10-14, 08:00 AM
TweakTech
Lead Lap

You're missing a ground. Also, a tach adapter is not necessary. You can modify the cluster with a $0.02 piece of wire rather than a $80 tach adapter.
Old 01-10-14, 12:01 PM
acidreian
Driver School Candidate

I already have the tach adapter and its 100% accurate. Not the problem

Explain what grounds are needed as I have searched everywhere no direct answers.
I'm asking for help not indirect answers with no actual helpful info in them. Please don't reply if you have zero details
Old 01-10-14, 01:15 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Titan sucks. That being said, Titan really sucks.

So iirc if you don't have the ground reference for the cluster then the tach won't work either. Which would make cam dead wrong. I'd venture that Titan sucks and has the signal wire pinned wrong.

There should never ever be a resistor in the temp circuit.

The msd is a retarded waste of money.
Old 01-10-14, 01:20 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Okay per 97 ewd. Ik1 pin 9 is the signal wire. Confirm continuity to the single wire sender on the water neck to this pin.

And there is no brown wire. Ground reference for temp on 97 is white/black stripe at ik2 pin 24

So cam might not suck this time, but Titan surely does.
Old 01-13-14, 06:58 AM
acidreian
Driver School Candidate

Found the problem after ohming out every while in the cluster plugs I found that there's a wire that has 330 0hms to ground that some how connected to the tempature circuit. After removing this wire the temp sensor works perfect
Old 01-14-14, 09:33 PM
acidreian
Driver School Candidate

Problem returned this is a ****ing wiring nightmare..
No where on the internet do i see some one doing the same swap and harness as i have and what they did..

USDM supra 2jzgte with
supra ecu
stock lexus auto trans

This is model 1997 so the cluster is different from all the other wiring information i have seen.

Pin 9 on the IK1 (Orange plug ) is a solid light green wire. (Not Yellow with green stripe.)

The (white plug) i dont know the name above the IK1 has the Yellow with green stripe signal wire in the pin 3 which i from left to right with the female end facing you.

I recently unplugged pin 20 (Black with Orange stripe) on the Ik1 and got the Stock 2jzge temp sensor to work without the sensor having to be grounded it is ina bung in the center of the upper Rad hose.

It lasted a day and then the next day i turned the car on bam no temp being read so possibly blew the temp sensor...

Questions are im in search from full pin out from 94 2jzgte ecu to a 97 lexus cluster harness
Yes i already look on the net for days no direct info.

Also should i wire in to the cluster the 2jzgte temp sender or should i wire in the 2jzge temp sender.

Reason i ask i got the car with botha custom bung for the 2jzge temp sender and the 2jzgte temp sensor in stock location. both were had not been plugged in.

Proper wiring will require the right info please only answer if ou have direct info not misleading information.. i really appreciate it.

Also if i plug into the stock temp sender it pegs the gauge beyond hot.
Im believing its because theres wrong grounds or 2 many wires plugged into my IK1 (orange plug)
Old 01-15-14, 05:22 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Your problem is you have no understanding how this works. The sensor doesn't make a ****. It sends the same signal to the cluster as the other one. The problem is, Titan sucks.

I already gave you the right info for your car. You find where the 1 wire temp sender is, use continuity to find it in the car on the passenger kick panel at the engine harness, then Put it where I told you above.

Again, the problem is you HAVE NO IDEA WHAT yOURE DOING!

And you bought a hack job of a car built by hacks because of the statement above. Is what it is man.
Old 01-15-14, 05:25 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Like I said, you don't know what you're doing. The cluster signal derives from the sensors themselves WHICH ARE NOT a function of the ecu. The ecu uses the two wire sensor for temp, that's it.

The only thing that should go from ecu to cluster is check engine light.

I could have this working in 7 minutes.

Titan sucks.

Last edited by Vrank; 01-15-14 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Titan sucks
Old 01-15-14, 05:32 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Your stock trans isn't gonna last long. I suspect it doesn't work right either.

But now that I think about it, what part about the info I posted a few days ago wasnt direct? What part was misleading? I gave you the exact info out of a 97 factory wiring book.

If it wasn't for everyone else, I'd take that info I posted earlier down because you completely disregarded it.

Only complete morons attempt to do swap wiring by color. Carry on