Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2-wire and 3-speed sensor/sender

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-13, 09:08 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry... keep saying SGI-1...

Correction: SGI-5
Old 12-19-13, 09:09 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JesLet
Awesome! I was looking at the SGI-8 as well... will get 'em both and I'll play with it.

By the way, would you consider rearranging your cluster like 2 big ones on the center and the small ones besides it... like typical Lexus/BMW cluster.. just a thought.

Appreciate your inputs guys

If your keeping your stock engine, you wont need the SGI-8. Only reason I had the SGI-8 was to translate tach signal from the LS1's 4-cyl output signal to something the stock 2JZ toyota cluster would read.

And I had originally planned to have the tach and speedo centered, but I liked having the tach in center to keep an eye on rpm's and the shift lights at the track.
Old 12-19-13, 09:13 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by turbodremz
If your keeping your stock engine, you wont need the SGI-8. Only reason I had the SGI-8 was to translate tach signal from the LS1's 4-cyl output signal to something the stock 2JZ toyota cluster would read.

And I had originally planned to have the tach and speedo centered, but I liked having the tach in center to keep an eye on rpm's and the shift lights at the track.
Hmmm... my tach does not move at all, maybe when I fix the speedometer and speed sensor it might work.
Old 12-19-13, 09:14 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Lol@becauseracecar

Jeslet, I think Ali is saying that you can use an r154 cable sender, and then get the marlin crawler cable to electronic adapter. The problem is, both the cable, and the electronic w58/r154 type speed sensors rely on a gear to drive them. I'm not sure of a good way around this, so it seems like signal conversion is the only option.
Old 12-19-13, 09:17 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Hmmm... my tach does not move at all, maybe when I fix the speedometer and speed sensor it might work.
I may have missed it, but did you jumper the cluster resistor? I think the 97 still requires the resistor mod, but the 98+ does not...
Old 12-19-13, 09:17 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by stockhatch
Lol@becauseracecar

Jeslet, I think Ali is saying that you can use an r154 cable sender, and then get the marlin crawler cable to electronic adapter. The problem is, both the cable, and the electronic w58/r154 type speed sensors rely on a gear to drive them. I'm not sure of a good way around this, so it seems like signal conversion is the only option.
Yes I still have my R154's cable sender and MC converter. I might take a look later how's the R154 cable sender looks like.
Old 12-19-13, 09:18 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

I may have missed it, but did you jumper the cluster resistor? I think the 97 still requires the resistor mod, but the 98+ does not...
Ahhh.. gerrb was talking about that. Will do search about it.
Old 12-19-13, 10:01 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

yeah I dont think you can just plug up the 2 wire sensor to 2 of the 3 wires on the 3 wire. different signals wont trigger right. the sine wave goes both positive and neg voltage, the square wave on the 3 wire will just go from zero to postive is why you need a converter. if it does trigger it will be erratic to say the least.

Stockhatch is right in what I was saying, but I think he is right it wont work because those have a gear on the end, I guess the other ones don't? I haven't seen the solstice one but I thought most the toyota ones have the gear at the end. converter box should work no problem once it is wired up it will convert the sine wave to a square wave.
Old 12-19-13, 10:32 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
yeah I dont think you can just plug up the 2 wire sensor to 2 of the 3 wires on the 3 wire. different signals wont trigger right. the sine wave goes both positive and neg voltage, the square wave on the 3 wire will just go from zero to postive is why you need a converter. if it does trigger it will be erratic to say the least.

Stockhatch is right in what I was saying, but I think he is right it wont work because those have a gear on the end, I guess the other ones don't? I haven't seen the solstice one but I thought most the toyota ones have the gear at the end. converter box should work no problem once it is wired up it will convert the sine wave to a square wave.
Yes it was indeed erratic. Speedo needle bouncing back and forth, it is worse when i turn the blinkers on.

R514 has gears hence "speedometer driven gear". I guess the Dakota Digital will solve this as what turbodremz have explained.
Old 12-19-13, 11:57 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

that does sound like the best bet. a little more complication to the ar5 swap but not too bad.
Old 12-20-13, 03:32 AM
JesLet
Pole Position

I found this at SF.. I am not sure if it will work on 1997 cluster, but I will try anyway.
And just to clarify I need to take the R109 completely off of the cuircuit board, correct?
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...-R109-Resistor
Old 12-20-13, 07:35 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

different resistor for different years, but you dont remove the resistor, just take a short wire and solder it to both sides of the resistor. that bypasses it without the chance of messing it up and its also easy to go back.
The following users liked this post:
LEXXIUM (01-16-19)
Old 12-20-13, 08:10 AM
xtra
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my 1997 VSS wiring on my wiring manual.

First, I connected RED (ground) and BLUE/RED (out) onto the 2 wires of the GM speed sensor and left the YELLOW wire capped. Speedometer is pulsing or jumping and there is some kind of interference when I click my turn blinkers... looks hilarious, like an analog stereo needle.

Then, I wired YELLOW AND BLUE/RED onto the GM speed sensor and grounded the RED wire on the chassis and no signal/movement at all.

Lastly, I joined RED and YELLOW on to one of the GM speed sensor wire and BLUE/RED onto another and it shorted my whole cluster, no lights at all. Good thing I found the 10A fuse on the driver side kick panel.

Continuation of the 3 wires on the next page...

Good day everyone
Sorry for high jacking the tread but I have a question related to the diagram posted.

I was always told that the SC400/SC300 used VSS– ECM-Cluster and the supra was VSS–Cluster-ECM
The main reason I am asking, I was troubleshooting a speed sensor issue while doing a manual conversion in a SC400 a while back and I was told feeding the Hall Effect signal straight to the dash wouldn’t work. My original idea was to feed a signal wire directly into the cluster bypassing the ECM but I was told otherwise.

The diagram contradicts that info. Are those picture from a supra service manual or a SC?
Old 12-20-13, 10:05 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Good question, this thread may have some info.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...sors-help.html

seems like manuals have 1 and not sure the order. seems like auto harnesses have 2 and they are seperate one to ecu, one to meter. so if it is a sc400 it probably has wiring going seperate to both places.
they are saying 3 wire goes to combination meter and 2 wire goes to ecu, so you could do the hall effect to the wiring to the combination meter, and leave the ecu one disconnected. probably no speed cut as well.

what year SC did they put the wheel speed sensors on. maybe you guys can just get one of those install it and run the wires and call it a day instead of using the converter box. wont be a way to adjust for gearing though is main shortside I think.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 12-20-13 at 10:11 AM.
Old 12-20-13, 01:58 PM
JesLet
Pole Position

Hey guys... i took out my 1997 cluster to find the R109 but i couldn't find it. However, i found the same looking resistor called R2.

Here is the R109 on the pre 97 SC cluster:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...-R109-Resistor

And here's mine and it says R2... maybe this is the one?

Name:  20131220_145145.jpg
Views: 6489
Size:  96.8 KB

And this is the overall pic of the 1997 cluster

Name:  20131220_145136.jpg
Views: 6428
Size:  108.1 KB

Quick Reply: 2-wire and 3-speed sensor/sender