Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

maintenance what i need to do

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-13, 09:34 AM
xshurikx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maintenance what i need to do

Ok i need to know what maintenance i need to do and what can i do myself and what should be done at the shop, i am no mechanic but i can do some stuff with my friends help.

I have a 93 sc300 190k miles on the clock
work done or to be done soon
Timing belt job hoses waterpump tensioner...(everything that has to do with timing belt)
about to do the brakes and rotors and possibly 1 ciliper because it is sticking

what else do i need to do to make sure the car is in tip top shape?
my brake fluid is pretty dark and the power steering makes an occasional noises when turning the wheel. other than that i think everything else is fine but i want to keep it maintaned that way.
Old 10-06-13, 04:58 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Need to know a but more about your car. Is this a car you just bought? Or are you just updating some maintenance? Is it running rough? Any weird noises or unLexus-like rattling or a general rough ride?

Breaks you can do yourself, but the timing belt I'd get done by a shop. Top off or change all your fluids, and that should fix your steering pump whine. If not then you may need to look into replacing it. If the pump continues to leak, your high pressure hose may be leaking - look into rebuilding it or replacing it.
If not done already, I'd highly recommend replacing your engine and tranny mounts. These shoulda been replaced at around 100k and dramatically improve the smoothness of the car when changed out. If u don't know when they've been replaced, or don't know IF they have been, then it's time to do it.
There's a lot of threads dedicated to maintenance, tonnes of info on here if you just type some keywords into the search feature.
Old 10-07-13, 11:38 AM
xshurikx
Driver

Originally Posted by scENFORCER
Need to know a but more about your car. Is this a car you just bought? Or are you just updating some maintenance? Is it running rough? Any weird noises or unLexus-like rattling or a general rough ride?

Breaks you can do yourself, but the timing belt I'd get done by a shop. Top off or change all your fluids, and that should fix your steering pump whine. If not then you may need to look into replacing it. If the pump continues to leak, your high pressure hose may be leaking - look into rebuilding it or replacing it.
If not done already, I'd highly recommend replacing your engine and tranny mounts. These shoulda been replaced at around 100k and dramatically improve the smoothness of the car when changed out. If u don't know when they've been replaced, or don't know IF they have been, then it's time to do it.
There's a lot of threads dedicated to maintenance, tonnes of info on here if you just type some keywords into the search feature.
The timing belt and everything was done by the shop, the brakes i will do myself.
Powersteering, added some fluid so far so good only been 12 hours.

In terms of non-lexus noises, my fan makes a noise at idle sometimes when i accelerate at any rate it goes away
in terms of motor mounts is that different from control arm bushings? because mine are going, i will get that looked at.

I was hoping that someone who knows alot can add the list and we can then maybe make a good thread with all the info in 1 place.

Last edited by xshurikx; 10-07-13 at 11:40 AM. Reason: missed info
Old 10-07-13, 12:16 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

cap and rotor on the distirubor and new spark plugs. the iridium are a good long lasting choice.

stock sc300: BKR5E-11 (copper: stock ge plugs) or BKR5EIX-11 (Iridium *recommended as it lasts much longer).

inspect and/or replace power steering rack bushings if there is play in the steering wheel (common problem).
If you get clunking noises when reversing and turning or when going over bumps you should check the lower control arm bushings (these are the next most common bushings to go on an older SC).
Old 10-07-13, 12:29 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xshurikx
in terms of motor mounts is that different from control arm bushings? because mine are going, i will get that looked at.
No thats not the same. Do some searching and you'll find the difference.

Originally Posted by xshurikx
I was hoping that someone who knows alot can add the list and we can then maybe make a good thread with all the info in 1 place.
As I said, there's a ton of info on here. Here is my old maintenance thread from my old SC400..
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ce-thread.html
Old 10-10-13, 10:30 AM
xshurikx
Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
cap and rotor on the distirubor and new spark plugs. the iridium are a good long lasting choice.

stock sc300: BKR5E-11 (copper: stock ge plugs) or BKR5EIX-11 (Iridium *recommended as it lasts much longer).

inspect and/or replace power steering rack bushings if there is play in the steering wheel (common problem).
If you get clunking noises when reversing and turning or when going over bumps you should check the lower control arm bushings (these are the next most common bushings to go on an older SC).
I am getting that exact sound when reversing, yeah the bushings need to be replaced there. thanks for the info.