Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Heater blows cold even on manual set

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-09, 08:37 AM
okbobbo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick fix

What many of us have done is remove the vacuum line from the VSV and attach it directly to the actuator. This allows hot water to flow full time into the heater box which is fine in the winter. The dash controls fine tune the temperature with door flaps. In the spring move it back to its original position.

Yes, it does warm the air a little, but the a/c over rides it if needed.
Old 10-20-09, 08:49 AM
meangreen1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
are you gonna do it or ask me about it?

top off your coolant also while your under there fixing your servo arm.
Harsh
Old 10-05-12, 02:02 PM
Redrek43
Driver School Candidate

Default coolant ftw!

mine did the same thing. snow this morning and i was super confused as to why my car was only shooting cold air. turned off the car waited a few hours then checked this thread and realized that my coolant was pretty low. filled it up with some premix 50/50 and since then my heater works just fine. thanks! you guys rock!
Old 10-28-12, 10:16 AM
HotepMaat
Driver School Candidate

Good detailed information regarding DIY keep it coming Lexus family
Old 10-29-12, 10:07 PM
Integra2SC
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Me Too

My SC300 has this same problem. I'm going to try moving the vacuum lines like the quick fix remedy says... I'll let you know if it fixes my problem.
Old 11-07-12, 07:30 PM
HotepMaat
Driver School Candidate

OK well my heater slightly blows heat when my AC is off, can I disconnect this valve so i wont get the slight warm air when my AC is off? it fogs my windows every morning, then i have to turn on the AC to de fog my window. Oh well it could be alot worse.
Old 11-12-12, 07:10 PM
95Sexus
Driver School Candidate

Does anybody have a picture of the other side of the long vacuum hose connected to the heater control valve. I disconnected a bunch of lines to do intake gaskets and couldn't figure out where that one went so i left it disconnected :/
Old 11-13-12, 11:59 AM
megamax
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bump for an answer!
Old 11-13-12, 12:22 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Let me shed some light on this for everyone. My heater quit working also, but like 2-3 years ago. After I got home, I checked the coolant level and the overflow, both were good. I went messing around on the heater control valve, no matter what I did, I couldnt get heat. I disconnected the vacuum line on top of the unit itself. On this line, there is a one way or check valve that is inline. When you disconnect the line, the check valve is about 1 1/2inches back, then another short piece of rubber vacuum line. I removed this valve completely, I ran a new vacuum line the same distance as the one before, set the heater to the floor, turned to hot, then revved the motor twice above 3K, and bammmmm, the heater is working. I dont know what this does exactly, but mine works and it has been like this ever since then, still works with the swap also.

Another option you can do is to turn this valve around, and see if it works this way. I did try that first and it seemed to be a tad bot warmer of heat, but wouldnt get hot, until I removed this all together. This is what mine looks like right now. If this doesnt work, then I would say replace the whole assembly, like others have stated.

Again this might work, and might not. Do it and report back your findings. Good luck. I would also make sure your top upper radiator hose and bottom are both too hot to touch. If it aint, look for something else, like air in your system or water pump failure or heater core clogged up.....