Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Any specific tips for SC3 timing belt change?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-13, 11:55 AM
tjmhillz
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have on my laptop a FSM for the IS300 that I can send to you later. . I know it wont help you with everything but it will help you thru changing timing belt and everything. I say just go for it. You have all the knowledge here to coach you thru it and you also did research on your own. Time to get it done.
Old 09-20-13, 10:03 AM
hoosier58
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tjmhillz
I have on my laptop a FSM for the IS300 that I can send to you later. . I know it wont help you with everything but it will help you thru changing timing belt and everything. I say just go for it. You have all the knowledge here to coach you thru it and you also did research on your own. Time to get it done.
Thanks! I really only need the pages specific to the timing belt and crank/cam seals. I'm sure the water pump will explain itself.

My timing belt, tensioner and seals shipped on Tuesday, so ought to be here today or tomorrow.
Old 09-20-13, 11:12 AM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
yeah its a bit dangerous but the easiest way to do it. I hate it when people pull motors without doing it first, If the motor is coming out and I will need to take it off I just brake it first, tighten the bolt back up by hand and set it to TDC, and then yank it out... or you will be using a chain or strap or wedging stuff with 8 foot breakers all day long.

Yeah as I said its a common misconception thats why I mentioned it I saw you were in those year ranges and saying they were non-inteference.
I have been told dozens of different things on the subject by various mechanics and even toyota techs, they just look up what in the general manual, and yes its listed as non-inteference in aftermarket timing belt manuals, but I have heard of 96 1uz motors with bent valves from when the timing belt goes, there was even one for sale here locally they tried to just change the belt but the motor never ran properly again (not surprising).

Also, the fact that they increased the compression in 95 on the 1uz, and changed the rods along with some other small things, would make one think the head was shaved down to get that compression and would likely be inteference. I don't know 100%, but most people who swear by it from experience that their motor took no damage are almost always talking about 92-94 motors, which are the ones that can take boost the best.
Most people do not realize the 95-97 1uz's are different, there are 3 revisions of the 1uz used on the sc400, 2 of them were non-vvti.
well i definitely believe your word over the mechanic's, since you are the technical expert. Going back to the 2jz motor though, every non-vvti is non-interference, though, correct?
Old 09-20-13, 12:33 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by myLEXsc400
well i definitely believe your word over the mechanic's, since you are the technical expert. Going back to the 2jz motor though, every non-vvti is non-interference, though, correct?
That is correct sir, no internal differences on the 2jz-ge engine until vvti was introduced, luckily the 2jz-ge was saved from all the madness and did not get a bump in compression until vvti it went from 10:1 to 10.5:1.
That being said any 2jzge could be interefence if the head was shaved down more than once a significant amount. to keep it non inteference when you shave it alot you have to go to a tt headgasket to keep it non-inteference. we are talking .025 or more combined here machined off, and that would be an extreme case. usually a shop will take off like .010-.015 depending on how much its warped.

some say its impossible to know how much the head was shaved before, but I just recently learnt the combustion chamber on the 2jzge is about .030 recessed into the head, so you can measure how much your recess is currently, and be able to tell how much has been shaved off your head before. If you have no recess, its been shaved down alot, and you should use a tt headgasket since its just like a GTE head now which has no recess, and uses the thicker gasket to provide the distance and making it also non inteference.
Old 09-29-13, 06:17 PM
Ralphh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 94 sc 400 time belt change please help

Hi everyone im new here.
i was changing the crank main seal and i forgot to mark the timing belt and cam gears. i have lined them up the same way as on an LS400 but car is not starting, can anyone help me please.