Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

92 SC300 Stalls randomly

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-13, 04:28 PM
ToyotaPro
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 SC300 Stalls randomly

Just picked up an SC300 Today with 213K miles (manual car) that i'm hoping to do a GTE swap on in the next few months. I was able to pick the car up really cheap because the car will randomly stall and loose power while driving. I noticed that while idling sometimes when it gets warm it will just shut off. After the car shuts off The VSV right above the number 1 injector clicks like crazy which to me in the past has indicated a bad ground somewhere on the engine or chassis. The car has recently had a new fuel pump put in the car according to the guy i bought it from as well as plugs and wires. I noticed that there are a lot of threads out there for bypassing the fuel pump ECU but i wasnt sure if that would cause an issue at idle. I was thinking since it only happens when the car gets warm that it may be related to a bad coolant temp sensor. Any info would be great. I havent had anytime to actually touch the car more than 2 minutes since i bought it today or gad time to go over it very well at all. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-01-13, 05:07 PM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ToyotaPro
Just picked up an SC300 Today with 213K miles (manual car) that i'm hoping to do a GTE swap on in the next few months. I was able to pick the car up really cheap because the car will randomly stall and loose power while driving. I noticed that while idling sometimes when it gets warm it will just shut off. After the car shuts off The VSV right above the number 1 injector clicks like crazy which to me in the past has indicated a bad ground somewhere on the engine or chassis. The car has recently had a new fuel pump put in the car according to the guy i bought it from as well as plugs and wires. I noticed that there are a lot of threads out there for bypassing the fuel pump ECU but i wasnt sure if that would cause an issue at idle. I was thinking since it only happens when the car gets warm that it may be related to a bad coolant temp sensor. Any info would be great. I havent had anytime to actually touch the car more than 2 minutes since i bought it today or gad time to go over it very well at all. Thanks in advance.
Do the fuel ecu mod anyway, its better. And yes with a bad fuel ecu it can stall at idle it happened to my 92 when i had it. It's worth doing just to make sure its not the problem.
Old 09-01-13, 05:17 PM
ToyotaPro
Rookie

Originally Posted by 187
Do the fuel ecu mod anyway, its better. And yes with a bad fuel ecu it can stall at idle it happened to my 92 when i had it. It's worth doing just to make sure its not the problem.
I noticed in the MOD that you cut 2 wires and solder them together but it didnt say on which side to do that. Do you connect them on the connector side or do you do it on the wire side?
Old 09-02-13, 02:31 PM
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed in the MOD that you cut 2 wires and solder them together but it didnt say on which side to do that. Do you connect them on the connector side or do you do it on the wire side?
You cut the wires before the plug, solder and then tape it up or cap it. Then you plug the connector back into the computer and thats it.
Old 09-02-13, 02:41 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Check the Main ECU for burnt out Capacitors and check out my thread I created it may help you...with troubleshooting..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...smell-etc.html
Old 09-04-13, 09:02 AM
ToyotaPro
Rookie

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
Check the Main ECU for burnt out Capacitors and check out my thread I created it may help you...with troubleshooting..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...smell-etc.html
Thanks. I think from what i can hear the pump is running all the time so it may already have a bypassed fuel pump ECU. I am going to pull the ECU this weekend.
Old 10-14-13, 08:04 PM
chedder91
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. I think from what i can hear the pump is running all the time so it may already have a bypassed fuel pump ECU. I am going to pull the ECU this weekend.
im having the same issue with my sc 300 soon as it gets to operating temp it shuts down I know it I don't think its the fuel ecu because I can I made it run in high pressure mode I use obd under the hood everyone say its It could be the iac sensor u mite want to start checking into im still researching it