Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Intake Good Or Bad!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-03, 11:40 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Intake Good Or Bad!!

I have a 95' sc400 and my intake consists of the adaptor and a generic air filter. I wanted to know has there been any reported damage or problems with anyone’s engine, due to the intake. Could it ever cause damage to our engines, sorry I might sound paranoid but I just don’t wanna burn a hole in my piston. Cuz that’s what I heard could happen if the car runs to lean, and what exactly would happen if water gets into my intake. So any advice or suggestions would help.

Oh yea does the intake really make a difference in the cars performance, because the only thing I have noticed is a deeper exhaust growl.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-10-03, 01:24 PM
kylesc400
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

changing out the stock airbox for a cone filter will definitely give you a more noticeable growl. the water you mentioned isnt much of a problem with these intakes...only with cold air intakes (ala civics, eclipses, etc) that bend down and sit right above the road itself. water can get into these very easily (splashes, etc) and cause problems.

what you may want to try is putting on a cold air box in the corner behind the passenger headlight to surround your cone filter. this will keep some of the hot air from the engine bay out and allow more of the cooler air from the snorkel to come in. i'm putting in a weapon-r cold air box in about a half hour and ill let you know how it turns out. from what ive heard from others, the intake+cold air box doesn't really do much for performance - only a little added intake noise.
Old 01-10-03, 01:47 PM
Lvangundy

The stock airbox works best. It can be made to perform slightly better by making a couple modifications.

Just don't go with a standard K&N cone filter - Dyno testing results have proved to lose power

Check this site.. there is alot of general and tech info on the SC.

http://www.users.bigpond.com/pgscott/

Check here for a specific link to the DIY 'big intake'
http://www.users.bigpond.com/pgscott/BFIDIY/BFIDIY.html

Equopment list for Big intake
http://www.users.bigpond.com/pgscott...IHardware.html

Also use the search function. there has been MANY discussions about this.