Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Auto shifting BOV-like noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-13, 11:10 AM
96shox
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto shifting BOV-like noise

Searched extensively online and on CL with no similar issue.

1)I just got a '99 SC300, 86k miles, automatic. Well maintained, fluid flushed at dealer ~60k (even though i found it to be overfilled by about 2inches on the dipstick when hot). I noticed that ONLY under hard acceleration when it shifts 1-2 and 2-3, right as it shifts there is a faint noise, almost like a BOV (no turbo jokes ); or like a chain rattle. No physical rattle or shake, but just a very faint noise. Any idea how to diagnose?

Might as well throw this out too so i dont make a another thread
2) Power Steering was done at dealer too about 20k miles ago, but the fluid looks like motor oil color (clean) instead of ATF red. What should I top it off with? ATF or PS Fluid?

Last edited by 96shox; 07-12-13 at 10:39 AM.
Old 07-11-13, 12:21 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

1) get under the car and look for loose things and hope is not the trans.
2) should be red technically the best is to drain and refill with ATF, but some people do just use power steering fluid not really sure of the long term effects of that if your power steering is working fine just top it off if you have issues I would drain + refill with atf.
3) are you talking about an HID, thats the only time I have ever noticed it and not much you can do about it but trim the tabs on the bulb so you can fit it in at a different angle. some of the tabs are long and short, if you make them all short you can probably get it in there at 3 different angles total, but not sure how well it will stay in place after that, maybe try with an old test bulb I wouldn't attempt it the first time on an nice bulb.
Old 07-12-13, 10:41 AM
96shox
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
1) get under the car and look for loose things and hope is not the trans.
2) should be red technically the best is to drain and refill with ATF, but some people do just use power steering fluid not really sure of the long term effects of that if your power steering is working fine just top it off if you have issues I would drain + refill with atf.
3) are you talking about an HID, thats the only time I have ever noticed it and not much you can do about it but trim the tabs on the bulb so you can fit it in at a different angle. some of the tabs are long and short, if you make them all short you can probably get it in there at 3 different angles total, but not sure how well it will stay in place after that, maybe try with an old test bulb I wouldn't attempt it the first time on an nice bulb.
Thanks,
I didnt find anything loose under the car; from what I can tell, the sound comes from the tranny. Im just wondering if thats a sign of slipage or whatever, because I cant find anyone else talking about that type of noise on an upshift.
Old 07-13-13, 12:26 PM
96shox
Driver School Candidate

Bump,
So no one has ever heard of a auto tranny making a noise on upshift?