Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Blowing smoke under boost

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-13, 06:23 PM
Mr.Gs_GTE
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blowing smoke under boost

First of all I apologize for posting this in the sc section. I figured there's a lots of Sc turbo guys out here then in the first gen Gs section and I figured I'd get help quicker.

I need some help figuring out what's going on with my car. I heard from somebody that I was coming out with some blue smoke while driving In the parking lot day before yesterday. That same day on my way home from work the smoke got worse and worse and bad that I couldn't keep driving the car. I pulled over and opened my hood and everything seemed okay. At first I thought it was because I had a breather on the outer left pcv valve. I took it out and connected a hose to the intake pipe. Ran the car for ten mins and the smoke wouldn't stop, when I hit the throttle I noticed small oil drips flashing out of the v band clamp that connects the DP to the turbo.. Anyways I some how managed to get it home, it was late so I Waited till today to look at it. I found my turbo oil drain kinked and at a bad angle and I believe the oil wasn't going through from what I saw. So I replaced the hose and repositioned it and started the car. I let it run for 20 mins just to burn the old oil out of the turbo. After seeing the idle cleare I took it for a drive and the smoke came right back. If I'm easing off the gas it's not as bad but if I hit the throttle I come out with clouds of smoke. Idk if I'm supposed to be using a restrictor with this turbo cuz I wasn't told I needed one. I wanna believe I blew the oil seal on the hot side but I'm not positive. Idk where to start from so I'm waiting to get a hold of the boost lab to find out more. In the main time I thought I ask you guys for some inputs.
Vehicle:
93 Lexus Gs300
2jgte single turbo
Borg Warner S362 turbo
Engine was recently built (June of 2012) and valve seals were replaced then
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Old 05-26-13, 07:41 PM
Raijin978
Driver School Candidate

headgasket?
Old 05-26-13, 07:46 PM
Mr.Gs_GTE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Raijin978
headgasket?
Na bro. With Overheating and white smoke I'd consider that. But my symptoms at the moment is far from that.
Old 05-26-13, 08:52 PM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My oil seals went bad in my turbo and I began to get smoke thru exhaust
Old 05-26-13, 09:23 PM
thm8d
Pole Position

Sounds like your turbo gasket is blown
Old 05-26-13, 09:54 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

yep its blown just watch your oil levels until you rebuild the turbo or get a new one. my ebay turbo did the same and i just dealt with the smoke till i saved up for my precision. Just feel bad for everyone behind you lol
Old 05-27-13, 06:16 AM
ishootstuf
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your return hose was kinked, your turbo seal is definitely blown. They are really easy to rebuild though. Every turbo I have taken apart (including my awesome factory turbo '82 Honda motorcycle) has lines scribed on the shaft, nut, and compressor, so you don't need to have it rebalanced. I rebuilt my ebay turbo.

Generally you don't need a restrictor if it's a journal bearing turbo. Also, I run copper for feed and return lines. They never kink, never leak, never collapse, and never wear out. I don't understand why more people don't do it.
Old 05-27-13, 08:15 AM
Mr.Gs_GTE
Pole Position

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by ishootstuf
If your return hose was kinked, your turbo seal is definitely blown. They are really easy to rebuild though. Every turbo I have taken apart (including my awesome factory turbo '82 Honda motorcycle) has lines scribed on the shaft, nut, and compressor, so you don't need to have it rebalanced. I rebuilt my ebay turbo.

Generally you don't need a restrictor if it's a journal bearing turbo. Also, I run copper for feed and return lines. They never kink, never leak, never collapse, and never wear out. I don't understand why more people don't do it.
Thanks a lot for the inputs guys I kinda figured the problem was with the seal but I wasn't sure of myself cuz this is my first experience on this problem. My only worry here is that it doesn't get complicated taking it apart:/. I'm sure it will come together when I'm started on it but there's always that first time fear. I'll keep you guys posted when I get the parts.
Old 05-27-13, 10:45 AM
NixusSC
Driver

There are many DIY videos on rebuilding turbos on youtube, first turbo I did I used the video and it made things much easier...cept the damn giant c-rings on Nissan turbos >.<
Old 05-27-13, 11:55 AM
Mr.Gs_GTE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NixusSC
There are many DIY videos on rebuilding turbos on youtube, first turbo I did I used the video and it made things much easier...cept the damn giant c-rings on Nissan turbos >.<
Aight thanks bro, I guess I got some studies to do
Old 05-27-13, 01:19 PM
Mr.Gs_GTE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mr.Gs_GTE
Aight thanks bro, I guess I got some studies to do
Quick questions guys, is it necessary to get a repair kit from the boost lab or a T3/T4 repair kit from eBay will do the job?
Old 05-28-13, 07:19 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

sounds like the turbo seal, and I would vent both passenger and pcv side (remove pcv valve and then vent) to prevent blow by but that won't help with the turbo seal.
if its journal most repair kits will do the job, if you can get the turbine housing off (they tend to stick on after long periods of use), then you should be able to get it done. sometimes a dead blow hammer and a torch can help if its stuck.
Old 05-28-13, 07:42 AM
Mr.Gs_GTE
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
sounds like the turbo seal, and I would vent both passenger and pcv side (remove pcv valve and then vent) to prevent blow by but that won't help with the turbo seal.
if its journal most repair kits will do the job, if you can get the turbine housing off (they tend to stick on after long periods of use), then you should be able to get it done. sometimes a dead blow hammer and a torch can help if its stuck.
Thanks for the inputs bro. The turbo is new, that drain hose just messed me up. Basically all I need is that seal and I'm waiting on parts to modify the pcv system. But I'll find out more when I have it taken apart
Old 06-01-13, 12:08 PM
Mr.Gs_GTE
Pole Position

Got my parts in about 4 days ago and had the turbo rebuilt. I mounted it yesterday and took the car out for a drive around the neighborhood. Came out with some smoke that was very minor. Got the freeway for about 20 miles. By the time I got back home it was a wrap!! All the smoke went away. Th turbo service actually came very easy it's a straight forward process. But yea guys that was my problem. I've been trying to post pictures but my phone isn't allowing me neither is my computer. I'll keep trying tho. Thanks again to everybody that for your options I really appreciate it.