Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

transmission problems for 92 sc400

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-13, 12:49 PM
k9unit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission problems for 92 sc400

Ok hi everyone, i knew to the site and new to lexus period lol, but i'm buying a lexus today and its already coming with small issues but i feel the car is still worth it. I've always been a fan of the sc body style. Any the guy thats selling the car tells me that the car has tranny problems. He states that the silenoids in the tranny are bad and that when he puts it in reverse the car goes forward. i'm going to check the car out at 6 and go through it to make sure everything else is ok. But i was wondering if the sileniods would cause that particular symptom. Reguardless i'm going to buy the car. But am i looking at buying a another tranny or simply replace the bad silenoids. Also is ther any test i can peform to narrow down the problem with the tranny?
Sorry for all the question but like i said i'm new to lexus. I'm acutally coming from honda so i think i have a lot to learn.
Old 04-17-13, 12:52 PM
92blacktt
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like your in luck!!! lowball the crap out of the car and swap in an r154 (5 speed manual)
Old 04-17-13, 01:32 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

If you do indeed end up with this car, those trannies are cheap and people have them ready and available. If you want to swap it out, use an R154 or W58. JMO.
Old 04-17-13, 02:05 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Could be caused by a faulty shifter, but, I would recommend just replacing the trans with an W58 or equivalent.
Old 04-17-13, 02:26 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

And if its really just the solenoids you can buy the entire set for as cheap as $350+.

Usually you can tell its the solenoids when the O/D light is on even when it's turned on or in drive. Or when the TRAC light blinks. But to really find out you have to test the resistance of the solenoids, which is accessible through the tranny oil pan. Check if the tranny fluid is dirty as well, that would be a common sign.
Old 04-17-13, 10:31 PM
k9unit
Driver School Candidate

So i bought it, and damn I love it. The car is great but like i said before it has a small problems here and there, like the sunroof doesn't work and neither does the dome lights and sun visor lights. Anyway I checked the transmission and it was actually as he said. Going through all the gears and it just wants to pull forward even in nuetral. Can someone fill me in on what is the cause of this
Old 04-18-13, 05:53 AM
k9unit
Driver School Candidate

Ok I was messing around with the car this morning while checking out the site, and ran across a post back in 2012 sharing the same symptoms as me. The car drives foward in Reverse and neutral, but one guy suggested that it could be the shift linkage on the transmission. I went to move the shifter and there was a lot of side to side play. Now I'm may be new to Lexus but is that common and could this be the solution to my problem
Old 04-18-13, 10:33 AM
k9unit
Driver School Candidate

I have some more clues. I checked the trans fluid and it was a light brown color is that a sign for me to change the fluid and the filter? Also I decided to take it for a little drive around the block and it didn't really want to shift. I had to come off the gas in order for it to shift. Also seems as if its stuck in first. Eventually I will swap in a 5sp but for the mean time I would like to salvage this tranny while I'm getting familiar with this new platform. Anybody have advice or experience with these symptoms?