Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Universal Intercooler and piping for 1jzgte in sc300 HELP PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-13, 07:33 PM
SupraDremr
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Universal Intercooler and piping for 1jzgte in sc300 HELP PLEASE!

I am looking to purchase an intercooler kit in the next day or two for my 1jz swap into my 1992 sc300. Although I would like to be able to buy one of the name brand kits, I can't afford nor justify that at the moment. Even the ebay direct fit kit for the sc300 is too pricy at 450-550 depending on whether the auction states its for a vvti or non vvti 1jzgte. Of course the oneI would need for the non vvti is the most expensive at 550. The vvti 1jz i/c kit and supra kit are 450. All of which are out of my current budget.

I have read where people have mentioned using the ebay generic intercoolers and universal piping kits but no one really gives specifics. Does anyone know of a link to a thread I may have missed where someone breaks down what pipes are needed and where to make the cuts etc???Or have one of youdone this and used one of these kits and have some pics or remeber what you needed to make it work? Please I really would appreciate your help guys. I have done my research and a trying to find specifics on what I need to purchase and how and what needs modification to make this work. Most posts I have read just say you can mmake it work with one of the piping kits for around 100 on ebay and an intercooler or something along those lines...I know I read that Onejay used a ebay universal piping kit on his build and said it took him a day of figureing out how to run it and where to make the cuts but nobody ever shows pictures of what pies they cut and what not.

I have tried to put the prefabbed bolt on picture up next to the generic universal kit pic and can't seem to see how I would make the same design with what they give you.

Here is a link to a kit I am considering purchasing.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOV-TURBO-IN...e668&vxp=mtr:D

Thanks!!
Old 03-01-13, 09:45 PM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I would stay away from Ebay kits and buy a better setup from Driftmotion. They have better clamps and piping. Ask for Aaron or Mary, they will help you. 1 JZ or 2JZ for around 155 plus shipping.
Old 03-02-13, 12:23 PM
Toyboxx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SupraDremr
I am looking to purchase an intercooler kit in the next day or two for my 1jz swap into my 1992 sc300. Although I would like to be able to buy one of the name brand kits, I can't afford nor justify that at the moment. Even the ebay direct fit kit for the sc300 is too pricy at 450-550 depending on whether the auction states its for a vvti or non vvti 1jzgte. Of course the oneI would need for the non vvti is the most expensive at 550. The vvti 1jz i/c kit and supra kit are 450. All of which are out of my current budget.

I have read where people have mentioned using the ebay generic intercoolers and universal piping kits but no one really gives specifics. Does anyone know of a link to a thread I may have missed where someone breaks down what pipes are needed and where to make the cuts etc???Or have one of youdone this and used one of these kits and have some pics or remeber what you needed to make it work? Please I really would appreciate your help guys. I have done my research and a trying to find specifics on what I need to purchase and how and what needs modification to make this work. Most posts I have read just say you can mmake it work with one of the piping kits for around 100 on ebay and an intercooler or something along those lines...I know I read that Onejay used a ebay universal piping kit on his build and said it took him a day of figureing out how to run it and where to make the cuts but nobody ever shows pictures of what pies they cut and what not.

I have tried to put the prefabbed bolt on picture up next to the generic universal kit pic and can't seem to see how I would make the same design with what they give you.

Here is a link to a kit I am considering purchasing.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOV-TURBO-IN...e668&vxp=mtr:D

Thanks!!
I purchased the Driftmotion universal kit myself. TBH you'll probably need/want a shop or someone to cut & weld it for you. The universal kit is exactly that, it's universal and will need to be cut & modified. You probably won't find anyone with specifics as to where to cut & weld it as each person runs their piping differently (i.e. people running electric fans route their piping differently compared to people with the stock clutch fan) My opinion, buy the universal kit from DM. Take all the piping and the intercooler to your local shop that can cut & weld, and pay to have them do the work, unless of course you have a tig welder and know how to weld aluminum.
Old 03-02-13, 12:33 PM
92blacktt
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would stay away from kits altogether, just buy a large intercooler from driftmotion and peice together your own piping, t-bolt clamps and silicon couplers (its cheap enough, even on ebay).

You will need to buy a couple of 180 degrees, and a couple straights (probably find it locally for cheap at a truck parts dealer). Then cut the pieces to fit, get a welder (or someone who can weld), done.
Old 03-02-13, 02:57 PM
6SOARER
Lexus Test Driver

those ebay kits are just as good as the ones from DM. Clamps and couplings are the same. I visit DM quit a bit, last week I was there to pickup parts and asked to see their couplings and piping. Guess what? They are very similar if not the same but it will run a little cheaper from Ebay.

Measuring and all, I do not know any specific specs. What I read in the build threads, guys are mocking these things up themselves, some have the saws to cut and they are done. I guess you can call around your local muffler shops to see if they can weld aluminum and have them cut and weld if thats what u are looking for.

check out Brandon(Halons) build, he is NA-T but it gives you a general idea where he got his kit and how he did it.
Old 03-02-13, 04:11 PM
SupraDremr
Driver

AWESOME GUYS!!!! Thanks for much for the posts. I went ahead and got a cxracing intercooler lastnight. It is a Bar and plate and measures 31x12x3 (24x9x3 core). I will check into the driftmotion piping kits and compare them to the ebay prices and quality the best I can tell...I have bought a few things from driftmotion in the past and they have always done me right though so I might be partial to order from them anyways..Now I have a few pieces of 2 1/2 inch piping that I bought with some misc car stuff awhile back that has been sitting around so I think with what I have in that pile and a universal kit of equal caliber I should be good to go into a local shop and have it all cut, fitted and welded together. Shouldn't cost too awfully much if I already have the intercooler mounted and bumper removed right? Performance shops kinda scare me with shop rates lol. I will get a few pics of what pieces I have laying around for kicks if nothing else. ANy input on whether I should implement a blow off valve in the intercooler piping? I know that I have a stock one on my 1jz but I see and read about people having an aftermarket one also...Or should I just run straight pipe and i/c?
Old 03-02-13, 04:15 PM
92blacktt
Intermediate

Do not bother with the bov until you change out the stock twins, leave it as is. I recommend fitting the piping yourself or with some friends, instead of the using the kits. Just cut and weld.

Ebay, Driftmotion, chinastuff...its all the same quality stuff so it doesn't matter where you buy from, just go with cheapest or good customer service. I use driftmotion since I am across the border and they can help me with the shipping issues.
Old 03-02-13, 04:23 PM
SupraDremr
Driver

Originally Posted by 92blacktt
Do not bother with the bov until you change out the stock twins, leave it as is. I recommend fitting the piping yourself or with some friends, instead of the using the kits. Just cut and weld.

Ebay, Driftmotion, chinastuff...its all the same quality stuff so it doesn't matter where you buy from, just go with cheapest or good customer service. I use driftmotion since I am across the border and they can help me with the shipping issues.
Sweet man...good to know about the blow off valve...One less thing on my list now...lol

So is there any reason I couldn't just install my intercooler and take my car down to a muffler shop and have them fabricate what I need and weld it and what not with stainless 3 inch exhaust? Or Aluminum exhaust piping? Shouldnt be any different than making a custom exhaust. And they should have the materials too right? Or should I buy ebay or dm piping to take in to be cut and welded? Course it seems like more people would have done this in the past if it was that easy or as cheap as buying the univerSal cut and weld/couple kits.

Hmmm. What to do What to do...
Old 03-02-13, 05:01 PM
Lokz
Driver

Yes muffler shop should be able to do it w/o any problems. You might or might not get a chrome finish like those pipes on ebay. You cant save money either ways, muffler shop will charge you as much as ebay pipes will cost you. If i were you, i would just throw my car at the muffler shop and let them tackle this problem since it will cost you almost the same or a little more than your ebay pipes. Just saying 2.5" pipes will be cheaper than 3" pipes and give you less turbo lag too. But again, its a 1J on stock twins, i don't think the you'll ever feel a lag haha
Cheers!
Old 03-02-13, 06:36 PM
SupraDremr
Driver

Originally Posted by Lokz
Yes muffler shop should be able to do it w/o any problems. You might or might not get a chrome finish like those pipes on ebay. You cant save money either ways, muffler shop will charge you as much as ebay pipes will cost you. If i were you, i would just throw my car at the muffler shop and let them tackle this problem since it will cost you almost the same or a little more than your ebay pipes. Just saying 2.5" pipes will be cheaper than 3" pipes and give you less turbo lag too. But again, its a 1J on stock twins, i don't think the you'll ever feel a lag haha
Cheers!
Sounds like I will just install the intercooler and then take my car into a shop that does custom exhaust or a tuning or performance shop...there are quite a few in my area that I am sure could fab up the piping...I just was thinking I would be spending bug bucks having something like this fabbed up and done but there really isnt that much to be done to justify it costing that much..besides materials. Can't take a shop that long ...lol Guess I should give a few shops a call and see what they say... Thanks for all your help guys... I will be sure and post a pic once I get it all in a figured out.