Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Repeated Power Steering Failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-13, 07:23 AM
Smashtoad
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repeated Power Steering Failure

Hi All,

My power steering started whining and leaking slowly over a month ago, and over the course of a week or so, went out completely. During that time, the resevoir was full (I checked it often) and the level did not go down, according to the dipstick. I was driving a tractor...and it sucked.

I took it to the garage, and they fixed it...however...afterwards, I noticed the leak was still there. Again, not long after this (maybe two weeks), it started whining again and slowly went out...again. I was pretty pissed and wondered if they really changed the pump out at all.

So...I took it back to them, and they fixed it...again. Sidebar: During this second repair, I was called and told that it was going to take an extra couple of days because they had put a SECOND BAD PUMP on my car, and had to wait on another. The guy said, "If the next one doesn't work, I guess I'll have to buy one from Lexus." He openly questioned his supplier's quality to me.

It has driven great now for over a week, but is now whining again when turned, and is obviously going out again...for the third time.

What in the hell is going on? Could it really be that their supplier is selling them such junk pumps that every single one of them is too weak to handle the ingrained studliness that is the SC300?

I love this freakin car.
Old 01-29-13, 07:35 AM
Knuckleup
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you look to see if a new pump had been put on, and that they didn't just rebuild your old one?
Old 01-29-13, 08:20 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If there is still a leak then you are getting air in the high pressure side which is what takes out these pumps as air does not lubricate as we all know so check your fluid for cavitation after a drive and report back or better yet a pic...
Old 01-29-13, 08:09 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't mean to hijack your thread but I have a relative question. I just bought my car, and the guy who sold it to me said there was air in the power steering lines.... Now I'm not retarded, but I've never done this before. How easy/hard is it to flush the power steering fluid out completely and put all new fluid in?

I was going to go to a shop and get a tune up and flush everything out of the car and get all new liquids in there, but my pockets are kind of hurting right now, and at the same time I have a few days off so I wouldn't mind learning a few things about my car in the process. Hell if I could do a tune up on my own it would save some cash right now..

For the record I drove it the first day and power steering felt fine for a good 30 minutes, then I noticed it got a bit louder, then it wen't away. The car still turns very smooth, previous cars I've driven with power steering problems were very rough.