Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Free Toyota Pre-OBD Datalogger Found!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-13, 05:54 PM
RetroMania
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow great thread, and would definitely like to thank the OP, and the intellectuals that contributed to this thread, along with the original makers of the program (Russian car enthusiasts)!

I'm going to try and build the connector also and see if this will work on the 1jz ecu!
Old 05-13-13, 10:07 AM
Tam4511
Driver

Ok, i think ive figured out the perfect cable that requires minimal custom work.

the order of this will be starting from the cabin dtc 17 pin port

First you will use this lexus 17 pin to OBD2 16 pin
http://www.obd2-diagnostic.com/for-t...-adapter-cable

then you will get a 17 Pin OBD2 to com port/db9/rs232 9 pin adapter

then you will ise a com/db9/r232 9 pin jumper box (you will jup the three wires and resiistor here)

and then you will use a com/db9/rs232 9 pin to usb emulator

now the only part about this in question is the switch of wiring to the obd2 port, im not sure if thats going to keep the same wiring setup we need, worst case we can cut it and hard wire it to the com/db9/rs232 9 pin cable.

Last edited by Tam4511; 05-13-13 at 12:37 PM.
Old 05-13-13, 10:45 PM
CaliTRDSC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by s1984
I finally got my cable and yesterday evening i was on the road to test the whole thing.
But i think i got some wrong settings, because i checked the cable and it was okay but the programm didn´t log.

At first: When i´m clicking on "MORE" --> "CHECK THE CABLE ON THE INVERSION"

The number jumps from 1 to 0 all the time... 1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0,1,0 etc....

And i got a screenshot from the options here:

Can someone please tell me/ us what setting we need for a 1JZ/ 2JZ engine please?

And what value do i need in "PERFORNAMCE OF INJECTORS" ?
I´m running JDM 440cc injectors in my 1J.

Thanks for your help guys.

So as seen on the screen. in doing this on a 1993 2jzge auto. what would i put my settings at ? any advice ? please need some help. i got knock problems. thanks in advance. great since of community here
Old 05-21-13, 06:16 PM
fried_rice
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks OP. My diagnostic ports didn't work for this on my 1JZ swap so I wired directly to the ECU. One wire to the VF and one to the TE2 on the ecu. The other ground wire or E1 is manually triggered by a button, so I can still get check engine lights. I have gauges in my glovebox mounted with ABS plastic. I'm in the process of making the two com port connections in the plate- One for the MAP-ECU 2 and one for the data logger. It should be pretty cool.

In my opinion this setup is way better than a standalone for my power needs >800hp. Easy tuning, great drivability and cheap. Now all we need is someone to figure out how to easily mod the stock ecu rev limit. I'll post pics later when I'm finished.

Here's a pic
http://imageshack.us/a/img259/8325/2...2165816384.jpg

Last edited by fried_rice; 05-22-13 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-24-13, 04:59 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fried_rice
Thanks OP.
You are very welcome. I only join automotive forums to actually contribute to the community.
After some DSM club shunned me out, I have tried to be a positive part of enthusiast communities.

My diagnostic ports didn't work for this on my 1JZ swap so I wired directly to the ECU. One wire to the VF and one to the TE2 on the ecu. The other ground wire or E1 is manually triggered by a button, so I can still get check engine lights.
This is a great idea about switching the ground and also swaps that have broken Diag plugs!

I was gunna run a small row of switches for Diag functions, like the Rocker switch ABS warning light reset, and a switch for grounding E1 for logging function near the fusebox.

I have gauges in my glovebox mounted with ABS plastic. I'm in the process of making the two com port connections in the plate- One for the MAP-ECU 2 and one for the data logger. It should be pretty cool.
Again, very cool idea for consolidating one's tuning tools.

In my opinion this setup is way better than a standalone for my power needs >800hp. Easy tuning, great drivability and cheap. Now all we need is someone to figure out how to easily mod the stock ecu rev limit. I'll post pics later when I'm finished.
Thanks! I agree, the resolution is kinda slow, but it will pick up knock where it happens, so if you start off slow on low boost and timing you can knock a little, see where it was, make the change and turn the boost up progressively without worrying about the slow res not capturing a violent detonation spike.

So far the now extinct company Techtom Or TechnoSquare owns the proprietary ECU code, and has not been released. Stock rev limit for now It looks like..

Here's a pic
Old 05-24-13, 07:06 PM
fried_rice
Pole Position

^ My Map-ECU 2 has knock monitoring so the lower resolution isn't a big deal. What is great is to be able to see what the stock ecu is doing for timing and all the other stuff. For instance my speedometer hasn't worked since before the swap and today I fixed it. I hooked my speed sensor up with a new connector since the harness came with a broken connector. I could see the ecu reading the speed so I knew the speed sensor was working and wiring to the ecu was good. I ended up hard wiring from a body plug to the cluster to get it to work. Also I have cheap water temp, oil temp and pressure gauges and didn't know how accurate they were. The ecu shows within 2 degrees of my water gauge so I know they're fairly accurate.

My harness also came with a broken knock sensor connector for the NO.1 sensor and was running in limp mode throwing code 52. I only made one pull and was getting about 12 degrees timing in limp mode. I installed the new connector and it seemed to peak at 15-17 degrees, my laptop ran out of batteries mid run unfortunately.

I see suprasonic did the stock ecu upgrades, using techtom, but not sure if that's available anymore. Making a check engine button would be a cool idea, I didn't think of before. I found 4 paperclips on the ground in my garage when I swept up the other day, lol

Last edited by fried_rice; 05-26-13 at 09:35 AM.
Old 08-19-13, 02:20 PM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

my 1j vvti daily is now on stock turbo and injectors, no more emanage, so I built a cable today to see how/if this system works for the jzx100/soarer vvti. About to go run and pick up the usb adapter, so I guess we'll see. Also, only found a capacitor with a 50v rating and went with that per spool saying anything over 12v will work.
Old 08-20-13, 04:59 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

this exists as well.. walmart has the best price.. usually its way more from other places.. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Equus-3120...anner/14644658
sometimes its nice to not have a laptop on you all the time.. plug in and read and you can do all the neighbors cars too and make some money.. fix one or two major problems and it will pay for itsself.

DONT GET ME WRONG i love something free. and some people might spend 150 bucks on a old laptop and materials for making a wire and getting a laptop thats cheap for the car.. for that price i would by the innova and that way you can do alot of obd1 and all obd2 cars..
Old 08-20-13, 09:28 PM
mickesanda
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by Cleanshots
this exists as well.. walmart has the best price.. usually its way more from other places.. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Equus-3120...anner/14644658
Hi Clean, what does this tool do? count blinks and give you the code on the display? Does it have a connector that fits our rectangular shaped connector in the engine room?
Does it do any additional diagnostic on our cars? I have a 1992 SC400 1UZ-FE.
/Mike
Old 08-21-13, 07:47 AM
LexusLove1
Driver School Candidate

So do any of you use a laptop to use this with or could it be a laptop... if so do you have to download a palm pilot emulator
Old 08-21-13, 10:00 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

I think most people use it with a laptop unless you have a desktop in your car
Old 08-26-13, 11:21 AM
Fubari33t
Driver School Candidate

Bump, anyone tried this on 1UZFE?
Old 09-20-13, 06:05 PM
deazndude
Driver School Candidate

I seem to be having trouble making this thing work properly. I think my settings parameters are wrong. I have a jdm 2jz-gte obd 1 engine in an mk3 shell. It has 550 cc injectors with USDM turbos though. I made a 3 wire plug. After plugging everything in I put it into invert test mode and no 1's popped up. Any help would be much appreciated. I've got it plugged from a com plug, into a midi gender changer adapter, to a com 2 usb converter. I installed the proper driver running on windows 7 32 bit.

Free Toyota Pre-OBD Datalogger Found!!-4bltn31.jpg
Free Toyota Pre-OBD Datalogger Found!!-xomzmjz.jpg
Free Toyota Pre-OBD Datalogger Found!!-qxzeeti.jpg
Free Toyota Pre-OBD Datalogger Found!!-ukyat1x.jpg
Old 01-28-14, 08:54 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It seems there is a usb to com malfunction for your windows 7 os.

Perhaps a driver update can be sourced?

That also seems like a hell of a lot of converters in series, that's probably the issue.

This was my problem for running my ancient laptop, as soon as the com function worked, I got the inversion screen to flash the 0s and 1s.

Screen shots yet anyone?
Old 01-28-14, 10:09 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

thanks for reminding me about this, I just finished up my cable tonight. Time to see if I have any knock and see what the ecu is doing in boost.

Quick Reply: Free Toyota Pre-OBD Datalogger Found!!