Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

is dark gunk/oil normal under valve covers of jdm aristo motorset?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-12, 05:54 PM
2jzinsider
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is dark gunk/oil normal under valve covers of jdm aristo motorset?

UPDATE 9-17-12: PLEASE READ POST 9/10

so i started tearing apart my aristo motor set today to get some stuff dropped off to a shop to get shiny and notice that the cams has a lot of gunk and is really dark like old oil. is this normal? will i have any problems? thanks

also I'm going to be using a t67 with a .70 hotside will usdm tt cams make any noticeable difference in performance?

Last edited by 2jzinsider; 09-17-12 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-16-12, 07:02 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

prime example of why i advise my customers to go with a fresh build , most coming out of japan is picking from the bottom of the barrel .. some get lucky but most of what ive seen is in horrible shape ..
Old 09-16-12, 07:08 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They never change their oil over there it seems plus the notorious Toyota valve stem seal problems don't help any but you need to pull that head and rebuild it and clean it.
Old 09-16-12, 07:52 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think I've seen any decent mileage 2JZ motors without sludge. Maybe it's head temps, valve stem seals, or who knows, but they all seem to do it. I wouldn't freak out over it too much since these motors easily survive the 300,000 mile mark without a rebuild anyway.
Old 09-16-12, 08:05 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by INTIMAZY
I don't think I've seen any decent mileage 2JZ motors without sludge. Maybe it's head temps, valve stem seals, or who knows, but they all seem to do it. I wouldn't freak out over it too much since these motors easily survive the 300,000 mile mark without a rebuild anyway.
huh?

I've pulled my fair share apart and not a single one has what I would describe as sludge...

that is not sludge in the pic either - that is simply burnt oil that has attached to the metal parts - caused by using inferior oil, extended oil change intervals and potentially hard running...

I'm with lexforlife - rebuilds are way better than sourcing JDM motors, I used to think the other way, but having done both now, I'd build a motor before I'd do a swap...
Old 09-16-12, 09:22 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

When I buy a jdm motor set I assume it needs a complete refresh becaus just like the pictures shown this is what happens when the valve stem seals go to hell and harden up which allows exhaust gases in to the crank case and the oil absorbs most of it which in turn causes the color deposits, It is going to for sure smoke if yo do not change them out now.

Pull the head tape off the deck surface so it does not get scratched then rinse the head down with simple green and pressure at the car wash then get some foamy oven cleaner allow to sit for 10 mns then hose it down again and it should come back looking clean like bare metal but then you need to take it to a machine shop and have the vss replaced which is usually 50.00 in labor and the cost of the seals.

Take this time to do ARP headsstuds as well since you are there.

Wear eye protection as well!!
Old 09-16-12, 09:32 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

This is what a properly maintained toyota engine should look like
Old 09-17-12, 08:29 AM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea that sludge is bad, hopefully the bottom end of the motor is ok (can you check the bearings?). Also, you can do the valve stem seals yourself, its not too bad just need the Toyotools VSS tool...or take it to a shop haha and have them machine it while youre at it. Good luck!
Old 09-17-12, 09:55 AM
2jzinsider
Rookie

oic thanks for everyone for the honest inputs... to be honest this engine was out of a friends running 92 sc300. i drove the car about a year ago and seemed fine. i pulled the engine out my self last week it started right up but could only rev and not drive. due to the rear end almost gone " wide body chopped off" and no intercooler but got a super good deal for it almost free if you can say did some labor for him at his shop.

some things i should bring up about the engine that the last owner told me. it made a high pitch squeal noise only in boost so I'm thinking the jdm turbo's was bad? also reason why I'm going single. he also told me that once in a while the car would stumble/buck/die " he said he thinks its because of a bad walbro fuel pump because it only did it when he was low on gas but started getting worst and started happening on random days.

what do you guys think else could be the problem for the stumble/buck/die randomly?

as of now i will not pull the head out because of budget/scared lol but i will replace the valve seals. when i remove the oil pan to clean it up/reseal it ill check the bearings and any advice how to check the bearings?

Last edited by 2jzinsider; 09-17-12 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-17-12, 09:58 AM
2jzinsider
Rookie

as you guys can tell my buddy did not even try to fix the problems and just drove it once in a while and stayed out of boost to not make the squeal noise and hoped the car does not die/stumble. so makes me think now i know why the engine has grime all over

Last edited by 2jzinsider; 09-17-12 at 10:02 AM.
Old 09-17-12, 09:03 PM
2jzinsider
Rookie

any say anyone?
Old 09-17-12, 11:12 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

sounds like a bad crank pulley aka harmonic damper.
Old 09-18-12, 07:48 AM
/Aerostar\
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Honestly I wish I knew more about this, but I haven't done any bottom end stuff myself. The following link applies for checking clearances, but you still have to remove the crankshaft, so I don't know if you want to get into all that. I guess, don't let my uneducated comment above scare you, if the car was running pretty well, it may not need too much work. When you do the oil pan gasket, I guess just check to see if there is a lot of sludge there?

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...+main+bearings

Good luck man, hopefully somebody who knows what they're talking about can help. Also check out supraforums
Old 09-18-12, 08:13 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

No need to tear the engine down that far and for the record that is not sludge it's exhaust gas(valve stem seals) which burnt the oil and caused it to stick to all the parts, Sludge is looks more like grease.
Old 09-19-12, 06:28 PM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by xspsi6
No need to tear the engine down that far and for the record that is not sludge it's exhaust gas(valve stem seals) which burnt the oil and caused it to stick to all the parts, Sludge is looks more like grease.
this.......