SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

SC400 Burning oil on start up mostly

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-11, 01:31 PM
lexsc400bl
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question SC400 Burning oil on start up mostly

Ive got a 96 sc400 thats burning alot of oil when you first start it up and then seems to go away. but then then next time you crank it over bam tons of smoke out the tailpipe. not sure what it could be?
Old 09-15-11, 05:55 PM
UR2klose
Pole Position

valve seals maybe?.. are you sure its oil though? what color is the smoke coming out of the exhaust?
Old 09-15-11, 06:55 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by UR2klose
valve seals maybe?.. are you sure its oil though? what color is the smoke coming out of the exhaust?
I agree with valve seals.
Old 09-15-11, 09:44 PM
chnk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

check your coolant to see if its mixing with oil
Old 09-15-11, 10:42 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

agree with the valve seals as the source for the following reason.

when u shut your car off there is still residual oil throught the engine, including on the head (above the valve seals). if the seals are bad and the car sits long enough the oil will drip down to the seal where it would normally stay, but if the seals are bad they will continue on down the valve stem, and sit on top of the valve or depending on where the engine is in its timing, an open intake valve will allow oil to drip onto the top of the piston. upon startup you will see a puff of smoke and the engine will smoke until it heats up enough were the seals start to do their job and smoking condition seases. hope that was easy enough to understand and i hope it helps
Old 09-16-11, 06:50 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Nova
agree with the valve seals as the source for the following reason.

when u shut your car off there is still residual oil throught the engine, including on the head (above the valve seals). if the seals are bad and the car sits long enough the oil will drip down to the seal where it would normally stay, but if the seals are bad they will continue on down the valve stem, and sit on top of the valve or depending on where the engine is in its timing, an open intake valve will allow oil to drip onto the top of the piston. upon startup you will see a puff of smoke and the engine will smoke until it heats up enough were the seals start to do their job and smoking condition seases. hope that was easy enough to understand and i hope it helps
would this cause significant loss of oil too? I found that I have no oil leaks as I've replaced every gasket in my SC and I lose a quart of oil every month. Just as the OP explained, I get a small amount of smoke at start up. I replaced the ECU and just had the 90k service.
Old 09-17-11, 01:52 PM
lexsc400bl
Driver School Candidate

cause was from ANOTHER leaky head gasket, has 193k miles on it, smoke was white after all. dont have time to replace the head gasket again and decided since i dont use the car a whole lot to test out these "guarenteed" head gasket fix fluid. about a 4 hour process and 12 hour cure time. never tried it before lets see how it does
Old 09-17-11, 02:51 PM
na4now
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexsc400bl
cause was from ANOTHER leaky head gasket, has 193k miles on it, smoke was white after all. dont have time to replace the head gasket again and decided since i dont use the car a whole lot to test out these "guarenteed" head gasket fix fluid. about a 4 hour process and 12 hour cure time. never tried it before lets see how it does
DON'T pour that stuff in your engine! You either didnt install the head gasket correctly, ...didnt get the head machined, ...or something. A puff of smoke on start up, is not a big deal. IF it is a head gasket, ..thats easy to test for. If so, ..you'll be losing coolant over time. Please fix it right!
Old 09-18-11, 07:40 PM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexsc400bl
am i missing something?? does anyone else see where in the original post he said he just had a head gasket done. might i suggest MORE information next time, we cant help u over the net without knowing what u know...in terms of the cars issues that is

Originally Posted by Tabaka
would this cause significant loss of oil too? I found that I have no oil leaks as I've replaced every gasket in my SC and I lose a quart of oil every month. Just as the OP explained, I get a small amount of smoke at start up. I replaced the ECU and just had the 90k service.
as i have seen your posts around here im sure you are familiar with these engines, so i wont ask if you know what the hell ur doing well if you are having a smoke issue where you are burning oil every month i would suspect the valve seals ONLY if you are experiencing it on cold start ups like i said in my above posts. as for a way to know for sure, im sure your a DIY kinda guy and even if you arent now is the time to learn. the simplest way is to get the car to operating temp as you normally do and then let the car sit over night. then you can remove one, two, or however many spark plugs you feel like to check for oil in the cylinder, to be done with a boroscope or any means you find suitable for your applications. DO NOT USE A SCREWDRIVER OR ANYTHING THAT WILL DAMAGE THE PISTON OR CYLINDER WALL SURFACES.

i hope that help and post back here or PM me if you have any more questions that i might be able to answer
Old 09-19-11, 03:53 PM
hyhflo
Driver School Candidate

call your local pharmacy and tell him u need a quart of sodium silicate .
thats what the doctor orderd
Old 09-20-11, 06:52 AM
Nova
Lexus Test Driver

Cool

Originally Posted by hyhflo
call your local pharmacy and tell him u need a quart of sodium silicate .
thats what the doctor orderd
Why would you put that s#!+ in your engine?!?!??!
Old 09-20-11, 01:46 PM
V8xTurbo
Driver School Candidate

Happens to me too, if I let it sit over 3-4 days, smokes for 10 seconds not bad though. I'm considering changing my oil to pure synthetic. That should make it harder to burn the oil because it has start up additives in it for extreme friction.
Old 09-20-11, 07:15 PM
captainsc
Lexus Test Driver

I have recently been having this issue too. The ECU is crapping out on me too tho. But like most say, once at operating temp its fine.
Old 09-21-11, 05:37 PM
hyhflo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nova
Why would you put that s#!+ in your engine?!?!??!
u dont put it in ur engine it goes in the coolant.....