Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Anyone ever use the Transgo 340-HD2 shift kit? Just bought one going to install.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-13, 08:38 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OmgSc400
Time to get myself one of these! how much did it cost for them to install it?
The install is about 2 hours of work. My tuner charges $70 an hour so it was $140. I guess it could take up to 3 hours for some mechanics.
Old 01-07-13, 08:58 PM
trdsc400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes I need one too, how much was install, 2 hrs?? Was that with modding the valvebody? I have a dragon torque converter installed but did next to nothing. Maybe a little lighter to spin freerrrrrr, but my stall is like 1800 still. Whats this suprastick im hearing about?? Couple people i see have them but what does it do?? Thanks
Old 01-08-13, 07:11 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by trdsc400
Yes I need one too, how much was install, 2 hrs?? Was that with modding the valvebody? I have a dragon torque converter installed but did next to nothing. Maybe a little lighter to spin freerrrrrr, but my stall is like 1800 still. Whats this suprastick im hearing about?? Couple people i see have them but what does it do?? Thanks
Yeah 2-3 hours with modifying the valvebody if you're a skilled mechanic. The suprastick is an aftermarket ECU that let's you control the shift points of your automatic transmission. You can also manually shift the transmission with the suprastick with either buttons or a paddle shift setup. The suprastick is not 100% necessary as the stock computer shifts great on it's own. The suprastick is also made for people who want to install an aftermarket ECU and want to maintain their automatic transmission. A controller like the suprastick is necessary if you go full stand alone (there are some stand alones that can control the automatic transmission but not many). Basically you buy a suprastick for three reasons

1. Change shift points
2. Need a computer to control your Autobox after installing an aftermarket ECU
3. Manually shift gears (with paddles or buttons).

Again it's not 100% necessary. I bought one but sold it before installing it. I was planning to go aftermarket ECU (Megasquirt MS3x) but decided to put a stop to my modding. At some point, especially with these cars you have to draw a line in the sand when enough is enough. Not that I might not go down this route in the future but I just want to enjoy my car for while with the mods that I'll have. And I need to stop spending all my money on my car!

Did you ever try brake torquing with your dragon torque converter? Try holding down the brake, your car should be able to rev higher without lurching forward with the new torque converter. You'll be able to launch at a higher RPM than the stock converter.

You'll definitely notice a difference if you do this mod.
Old 03-29-13, 08:54 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

I think it's about time to bump up this thread. I've had my car out since Sunday and put some new wheels on it. The shift kit with the light weight wheels is fantastic. I honestly feel like I'm driving some whole new car now. I was driving my othe stock SC all winter with 16" stock wheels... now my summer beast is out of storage. I'm on light 18s with the shift kit and it's a whole different animal. I'm chirping the tires and getting thrown back in my seat when the damn car shifts lol it's amazing!! I'll post another video, I'll film something tomorrow and upload it on youtube.

Best bang for your buck mod for the SC hands down. Well BFI is free but anyways. Video coming soon!
Old 04-05-13, 04:20 PM
NixusSC
Driver

excellent thread, gonna bookmark this product for a later project

you say it still shifts pretty smooth, so would the 'truck' drill sizes have even been worth it?? I wonder how much different it is compared to the 'hot rod' setting
Old 04-05-13, 05:20 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by NixusSC
excellent thread, gonna bookmark this product for a later project

you say it still shifts pretty smooth, so would the 'truck' drill sizes have even been worth it?? I wonder how much different it is compared to the 'hot rod' setting
Well smooth is a relative term. What might my smooth for me isn't the same for my mother. She borrowed my car one day and she thought something was wrong with the car haha. I told her I modified it to drive like that. It's really not bad at all though, it's still pretty smooth to my standards but I'm in my 20s.

On Hot Rod setting when you put your car from PWR mode to normal mode it doesn't change anything with how smooth the transmission shifts anymore. I know PWR mode increases transmission line pressure for firmer shifts, and normal mode gives you more smoother shifters. With Hot Rod setting it doesn't make a difference whether you are in PWR or normal though lol, it shifts firm everytime.

Depending on what you're looking for you can drill smaller sizes in the valvebody. I wanted all out performance so I went with Hot Rod. Driving around town it's still decently smooth but not Lexus like at all anymore. I'm sure if you went with Truck I'm sure it would be smoother. Maybe with Truck changing from PWR mode to normal would make a difference too. I still have to make another video that I promised, I'll get on that.

Honestly I would recommend doing the Transgo Kit on any SC400 because we all know what happens when these transmissions get old. They start to slip and get ****ty. I'm going to be putting the basic SK-340 kit on my other Lexus SC400 so that transmission will last. The basic SK340 doesn't modify the valvebody and would keep that Lexus like shifting.

Hot Rod mode basically makes your SC a friggen Hot Rod sports car and changes the whole dynamic of the car lol. The slow shifting and kickdown on the SC really holds the 1UZ back! If you don't want tire chirping under WOT don't do hotrod though. Go maybe one size smaller.
Old 04-06-13, 07:46 AM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Video video video! I'm next on this mod. About to buy it from summit, where did you buy yours?
Old 04-06-13, 11:50 AM
NixusSC
Driver

Originally Posted by Clean400
Honestly I would recommend doing the Transgo Kit on any SC400 because we all know what happens when these transmissions get old. They start to slip and get ****ty. I'm going to be putting the basic SK-340 kit on my other Lexus SC400 so that transmission will last. The basic SK340 doesn't modify the valvebody and would keep that Lexus like shifting.

Hot Rod mode basically makes your SC a friggen Hot Rod sports car and changes the whole dynamic of the car lol. The slow shifting and kickdown on the SC really holds the 1UZ back! If you don't want tire chirping under WOT don't do hotrod though. Go maybe one size smaller.
Now i'm completely undecided on which version

I will have to keep an eye for your review on the sk340 in your other sc.
Old 04-06-13, 03:15 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MMCtuner
Video video video! I'm next on this mod. About to buy it from summit, where did you buy yours?
I bought mine from a random Ebay seller. I was driving around today and there was too much traffic and cars to film a video. Maybe tonight

Now i'm completely undecided on which version

I will have to keep an eye for your review on the sk340 in your other sc.
You could always do something in between. HD2 340 kit and just drill the valvebody for Truck settings.

I won't have the SK340 installed for a while in my other. It's my winter SC ... so It's stored until' November.

The HD2 on hotrod settings is only not smooth when in traffic. When your driving around the transmission is smooth.
Old 04-07-13, 01:21 AM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Took the time tonight to film some videos!

Transgo 340 HD2 Lexus SC400 - Kickdown & 200km/h

Really tried to show the kickdown since some people were interested in that. Did some highway pulls with the good old 1UZ up to 200.

Lexus SC400 - Kickdown from 100km/h Transgo HD2

Kickdown from 100km/h. Basically the speed that kickdown will mostly be used. Cruising on the highway at 60mph then the auto will kickdown for passing power. Kickdown lag eliminated.

SC400 Hotrod setting Transgo & Traction Control, Brake Torque Launch. Traffic Shift

This video is pretty funny, the first launch is slow because I use traction control. The hotrod setting is too much under WOT for the Traction control. I get a TRAC light that stays solid on the dash after a launch under WOT and accelerating. I filmed this to show that TRAC comes on every time the car shifts under brisk acceleration. I never went full WOT with traction control on, and guess what it trips the TRAC light on the dash. Reconnecting the battery removed my TRAC light. Hotrod setting and traction control don't mix under WOT haha. I'm sure Truck setting wouldn't trip the traction control. Either way I never use traction control when driving the car hard. The car is faster with TRAC off.

After that I did a crappy brake torque launch with the stock torque converter. I've launched better just mashing the throttle before lol.

I also showed what the shift kit is like in traffic and tried to explain what it felt like. Under regular driving the car feels smooth. It's only in start-stop traffic that the hotrod setting feels non-Lexus like. If you want the HD2 kit but want smoother shifting in traffic do a drill size closer to Truck setting, or just get the less performance oriented SK340. Besides start/stop traffic the Hotrod setting drives real nice, like a much sportier version of the AUTO.

Last edited by Clean400; 04-07-13 at 02:01 AM.
Old 04-07-13, 11:01 AM
NixusSC
Driver

Great videos, on my list for sure now.

So from your video, the only thing with in traffic driving is mostly the downshift? Don't have a problem with the shifting, I just drive in a lot of traffic on base on a daily basis

Only difference between the two settings is the drill size, I could always just start with 'truck' drill size, and then bump up to 'hot rod' if i want a little more.

Last edited by NixusSC; 04-07-13 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-07-13, 03:01 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Great videos, on my list for sure now.

So from your video, the only thing with in traffic driving is mostly the downshift? Don't have a problem with the shifting, I just drive in a lot of traffic on base on a daily basis

Only difference between the two settings is the drill size, I could always just start with 'truck' drill size, and then bump up to 'hot rod' if i want a little more.
It's the upshfit at very low speed that gives you a slight jerk on hotrod setting. You don't really feel the downshift at all.

Yeah start with Truck drill size and then go up from there. That would be the best way to see what you like best.

Last edited by Clean400; 04-07-13 at 10:05 PM.
Old 05-02-13, 06:37 PM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

ok, my turn. I´ve installed this today. I spent more than the two hours stated, but checked everything three times at the least.
Results you ask? It´s...AWESOME! Sadly today it is raining so no WOT (almost flipped once)
It´s an incredible improvement. Fast fast fast! I know now that my car can step up with some supercars, no doubt about it.
And I thought the stock auto was fast...

Last edited by MMCtuner; 05-02-13 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-06-13, 10:34 AM
MMCtuner
Intermediate

Short clip of mine. You can hear at 1:17 chirping the tires.
Old 05-06-13, 08:23 PM
Clean400
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MMCtuner
Short clip of mine. You can hear at 1:17 chirping the tires.
Sick! I have to go forced induction soon. Definitely chirping the tires more than me haha!

Quick Reply: Anyone ever use the Transgo 340-HD2 shift kit? Just bought one going to install.