Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

downpipe question

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-12, 11:56 PM
hihopes
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default downpipe question

So my exhaust is rotting out pretty bad. I just purchased a Blitz single catback, now i need a midpipe/downpipe. I need to keep my cat because of NY inspections.
I saw in a couple posts that a single turbo supra downpipe fits on the sc300. searched some more and came across a few on ebay that say 2JZGE, which is what i have.
So my questions are:
-will these bolt right on?
-will they bolt on to my cat? cannot have a cat delete.
-are these ebay ones even worth looking at? dont want to spend my money on something that will rot out shortly.
-my cat is working fine, but would there be any point in getting a new cat?

Thanks in advance.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Downpipe-Dum...#ht_4565wt_883

and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-DUMP-INL...#ht_1703wt_883
Old 04-11-12, 12:41 AM
NaturalJZ
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im not too sure of ebay quality, but i know i was in your shoes a while ago, i didnt find nothing good and went custom. dont regret it a bit, got a very nice system now. I think u should do the same for the down pipe system.. if ny only does a visual check on cats, might wanna consider getting a high flow cat or a dummy cat/resonator
Old 04-11-12, 09:31 AM
hihopes
Pole Position

Originally Posted by NaturalJZ
im not too sure of ebay quality, but i know i was in your shoes a while ago, i didnt find nothing good and went custom. dont regret it a bit, got a very nice system now. I think u should do the same for the down pipe system.. if ny only does a visual check on cats, might wanna consider getting a high flow cat or a dummy cat/resonator
ive thought about going to a shop to ask around but its almost pointless for me. im a 21 year old kid who looks like im 17, i walk in and they see dollar signs and try to rape me price-wise. they assume "oh its just a stupid kid" and who knows what theyll try to charge me or half-***. its happened before with my old car.

also, does anyone know if NY does only a visual on the cats?
and any perks in getting a high flow cat?
Old 04-11-12, 09:43 AM
spoolxexo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Stainless steel is stainless steel. I get all my piping off them.

What does your setup look like? Ebay T4 manifold? Then yes the Downpipes will work.

Keep your cat, unless it smells like eggs obviously.

Hi-flow stainless cats on the bay in 3" are like $60, cheap money!

So yes, the ebay stuff is good, especially if you are young, and can't afford OEM or Up-charging.
Old 04-11-12, 09:55 AM
hihopes
Pole Position

Originally Posted by spoolxexo
Stainless steel is stainless steel. I get all my piping off them.

What does your setup look like? Ebay T4 manifold? Then yes the Downpipes will work.

Keep your cat, unless it smells like eggs obviously.

Hi-flow stainless cats on the bay in 3" are like $60, cheap money!

So yes, the ebay stuff is good, especially if you are young, and can't afford OEM or Up-charging.
my setup right now is completely stock and rotted haha. blitz single catback on the way here.
i have no problem with money as i would just save up for something nicer, im not trying to cut ends on this car to have something break. but its hard to find a downpipe for the sc300. which is why i was making sure the mkiv supra downpipe fit.

but will those that i posted bolt right up to the stock header/cat?
thanks
Old 04-11-12, 10:03 AM
hihopes
Pole Position

also- is there any difference between the obx downpipe and getting one with a flex pipe on it?
Old 04-11-12, 10:09 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It sounds to me like you have a stock 2JZGE and no turbo? If so, those downpipes will not work for you. They are for turbo cars

Post a pic of the catback you bought. If it starts where the stock midpipe leaves off, you may be ok. If it deletes the midpipe, you will also be deleting the 3rd cat.
Old 04-11-12, 10:23 AM
hihopes
Pole Position

yup, stock 2jzge no turbo. hopefully after the summer.
so if these downpipes wont work, what are my options?
i was under the assumption that it was from the cat, going all the way back. meaning the cat stayed, right?
this is the catback:
Old 04-11-12, 10:43 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

It looks to me like that exhaust replaces the stock midpipe as well. There are 2 or 3 cats on the SC300 depending on the year. Maybe more for Cali models. Two cats or a single cat are built into the header, and one cat is in the midpipe, just before the catback section. That Blitz exhaust should bolt up where your header comes down, but will delete the midpipe cat. The inspection guys may or may not catch that and ding you for it.
Old 04-11-12, 10:47 AM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Here is the stock exhaust. That Blitz should replace parts 6-9. Notice the cats built into the header collector (part 5), and midpipe(part 6).

EDIT: Looking at it more, the Blitz may not replace the midpipe. It's hard to tell how long it is exactly from the pic. You will just have to try bolting it up and see
Old 04-11-12, 11:02 AM
hihopes
Pole Position

im almost positive, just from that diagram that its from the 2nd cat back. you can see the axle back part from the middle flange to the muffler, and then the upper part is the resonator and where the Y pipe would be.

so the midpipe and 2nd cat are one piece? this would mean that those ebay downpipes delete the 2nd cat, which is a no go for me (inspection-wise).. correct?
so then is my only option to get something custom made? or is there anything else im missing?
Old 04-11-12, 12:27 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Those ebay downpipes are COMPLETELY different than what you have and wont even come close to fitting. They are made to replace pieces 1-5 in the diagram above on a single turbo car. Is your midpipe rusted out too? If so, you may have no choice but to source a used OEM midpipe, or fab a custom midpipe and add an aftermarket cat to it.
Old 04-11-12, 01:01 PM
hihopes
Pole Position

yes, right now i just want to replace piece number 6 in that diagram because it is rusted to crap. thats all im doing right now. i will get to 1-5 at a later time

so, piece number 6 is just one piece? guess im gunna have to find an aftermarket cat and go to a shop.
what is a decent aftermarket cat then?
Old 04-11-12, 01:12 PM
stockhatch
Lexus Champion

Yes, number 6 is a single piece.

I bought one used from a member on here for a pretty good deal, so you could always look into a used one. If you are going to put that Blitz on though, you may as well have a 3" midpipe fabbed up with a nice high flow cat. That way you do it once and never have to do it again, even if you go turbo later on.

Random Tech makes a really good high flow cat. Magnaflow does too. They won't be cheap.
Old 04-11-12, 03:24 PM
hihopes
Pole Position

Yeah i plan on going turbo in the future so i dont want a stock midpipe. Gunna see if i can order a nice cat to get this midpipe going..

Quick Reply: downpipe question