Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Calling all LSx conversion folks

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-12, 03:10 PM
Chevyguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling all LSx conversion folks

I'd like a little information on installing a Chevy LSx engine in a 1995 SC400. My son has one, and he's tired of just looking fast. He's no mechanic, and as a Chevy guy I'm more comfortable with GM engines. So...

I read a little on the LSx conversion, but what I'm seeing is peopl are ripping out the auxilliary systems to put these engines in. I'd like to keep these systems, like the ABS, installed in the car. And, I'd like to retain the factory instrument cluster. Has anyone addressed keeping these systems in the car, and have they been successful? I have a full set of the factory manuals so I can do the research if need be, but if somene else has already jumped the hoops I'd appreciate a little info. If we do this I'll be sticking a 5.7L LS1 crate with a 4L80E transmission in the car. The actual swap part won't be a problem, just the stuff like ABS.

Also, how does the rest of the drivetrain handle the load? I can get a new driveshaft no problem, but will the rear diff and axles handle it? We'll be starting NA but at some point we may boost it. Thanks.
Old 02-28-12, 12:55 AM
SpecialK47
Driver

I don't think you'll find a lot of help here. Most of the guys here seem to be JDM purists and loathe American ingenuity and the marvel of the LS series of motors. The name escapes me, its bookmarked at home, but its a whole board dedicated to different LSx swaps.
Old 02-28-12, 09:15 AM
lookEVO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SpecialK47
I don't think you'll find a lot of help here. Most of the guys here seem to be JDM purists and loathe American ingenuity and the marvel of the LS series of motors. The name escapes me, its bookmarked at home, but its a whole board dedicated to different LSx swaps.
Now youre just being a troll. If you arent gonna contribute to this mans thread keep your opinion to yourself. What you said is fairly far from the truth and downright ignorant.

Its kinda cool to see LSx swaps, not my cup of tea nor my area of expertise as far as the SC goes but its not looked down on here. Get over it.
Old 02-28-12, 09:45 AM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the rear end will handle the power you throw at it with a stock LS. The only issue is that the rear end gearing is at 4.26 (i think) and it's an open diff, 1 wheel spinning. You can always fix that with a welded diff, with a lower gear gear diff from 3.26-4.10 or the Mk4 Supra auto TT diff with the 3.76 LSD. The axles will handle it and they are interchangeable from the SC and the Mk4 Auto Supra TT diff.
Old 02-28-12, 02:47 PM
SpecialK47
Driver

Originally Posted by lookEVO
Now youre just being a troll. If you arent gonna contribute to this mans thread keep your opinion to yourself. What you said is fairly far from the truth and downright ignorant.

Its kinda cool to see LSx swaps, not my cup of tea nor my area of expertise as far as the SC goes but its not looked down on here. Get over it.

Far from the truth?

I'm a newer member, haven't even been here a month. I've already seen guys trashed for talking about an LSx swap, I was flamed for defending the LS series, and members were hating on the series in general.

Everything I've said comes from what I've witnessed.
Old 02-28-12, 02:56 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

specialK47... really?

OP, why don't you all just put a 100 wet shot and a fuel pump on the 1UZ? the earlier 1UZ has big rowdy rods and 6 bolt mains you know... they can handle quite a bit.

a LS swap would be a LOT of work, and you'd be doing it fresh because no one on here has done one (as far as i know). it would be wayyy easier and wayyy cheaper to swap in a 2jzGTE/auto and make the same power on the stock turbos.
Old 02-28-12, 05:47 PM
LunaVyohr
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SpecialK47
Far from the truth?

I'm a newer member, haven't even been here a month. I've already seen guys trashed for talking about an LSx swap, I was flamed for defending the LS series, and members were hating on the series in general.

Everything I've said comes from what I've witnessed.
Well, everyone's entitled to their opinion about a certain engine. Some people on here don't like the 1UZ, some don't like the 2JZ, some don't like LSX series. But for the most part, the members on CL have respect for all the engines and a good build.

Originally Posted by cartmill
specialK47... really?

OP, why don't you all just put a 100 wet shot and a fuel pump on the 1UZ? the earlier 1UZ has big rowdy rods and 6 bolt mains you know... they can handle quite a bit.

a LS swap would be a LOT of work, and you'd be doing it fresh because no one on here has done one (as far as i know). it would be wayyy easier and wayyy cheaper to swap in a 2jzGTE/auto and make the same power on the stock turbos.
Millertime, turbodremz, and boosted4.6 all have LSX swaps. The LS engine swap is still a relatively alien swap to the SC platform, but the 2JZ-GTE swap is not 'cheap'. It may be cheaper for an auto swap, but it's still expensive.

OP, the 1UZ can be woken up by getting rid of the automatic slushbox in favor of a W58 or R154 manual (there are multiple adapter kits available), with an LSD. It also gains a fair amount of power from basic bolt-ons: exhaust, intake, headers. The 1UZ is also receptive to a good tune (although, that's still expensive), and a stand-alone fuel system.

An LS swap will give you a lot of potential for high power, but right now, there still isn't a wealth of info on the subject, so it will be easy to get lost. The 1UZ is a great motor, and can make a lot of power if you're willing to spend the money and time on it.
Old 02-28-12, 07:46 PM
cartmill
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

2jz swap has still gotta be cheaper than an LS swap...
Old 02-28-12, 09:04 PM
Chevyguy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks folks. I'd posted this here because I'd read some swap information on this site. The main reason I want to do an LS is I have direct experience with these engines. The manual trans idea isn't even on the table. If it were my car I'd look at it, but it isn't. There is a shop that says they can do the wiring harness so everything works, but it would require that I take the car to them, and would require that both the Lexus computer and the LS computer be used.

I dunno, we'll just have to see what happens.
Old 02-28-12, 09:05 PM
xHypnofish
Driver

Originally Posted by cartmill
2jz swap has still gotta be cheaper than an LS swap...
That all depends on how much work the OP is willing to do himself. An LS1, here in GM town, can easily be had for $800 or less with a little looking. I have yet to find a 2JZ this cheap around where I'm from. And lets not even start on how expensive some of the R154 and V160 transmissions can be. And if the OP can do all of the fabricating that this project requires than I wouldn't put the cost of both swaps too far apart. The 2JZ would certainly be the easier of the two swaps with all of the information floating about.

But, in my opinion, the OP should just keep the original motor already in the car. They seem to be great motors and with some money can make some extra power.
Old 03-06-12, 06:10 PM
Chevyguy
Driver School Candidate

Thanks folks. I can do the work, just wanted to know if anyone else that had completed the conversion had also made the ABS and everything work. If so, would like to know how.