Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

PS, Speedo, Radio all went out. ABS light on. What just happened?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-11, 08:37 AM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question PS, Speedo, Radio all went out. ABS light on. What just happened?

So i just got back from getting gas, and i did a little highway stint. Sometime on the highway, the speedo and power steering cut out. Everything else on the gauge cluster is working normally, its just the speedo thats sitting at zero. Also, the ABS light came on. And, my amp and carpc shut off, which i'm assuming has something to do with the ACC signal, but i still can't put all the pieces together as to what the heck just happened. I don't even know where to start with this one because so many random things just stopped working. Any help would be really appreciated guys.

Carlo
Old 12-12-11, 08:48 AM
kez
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This just happened to me this morning to but speedo was working but battery indicator came, on
Old 12-12-11, 08:49 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Makes no sense the PS would cut out that is mechanical, the rest is electrical.
Old 12-12-11, 09:20 AM
tuterz
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kez
This just happened to me this morning to but speedo was working but battery indicator came, on
alternator going out? ..

and i agree with OLT .. doesnt make sense the ps going out.. unless you had a pulley seize up.. and causing the serpentine belt to slow.. down causing the battery light to come on.. and powersteering pump to stop pumping too.. but if that was the case.. you would have some over heating issues too.. so i dont know.. =/
Old 12-12-11, 09:39 AM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Just a quick update. Couldn't find any problem fuses. But, the memory seat function doesn't work, and the shift lock solenoid thing isn't cooperating. So in order for me to get it into drive, i'd have to push down on the override button. Ugh.....

Serp belt looks fine, everything runs smoothly. No battery light on, just ABS.
Old 12-12-11, 11:30 AM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Well, i hate bumping my own thread, but it's just so frustrating. I went to get the battery/alternator checked out, both were good. On my way i found out that my power windows/sunroof doesn't work either. But while we were checking the battery, we found out that the serpentine belt seemed way to easy to push on. So i think the tensioner is shot. That could be the solution to why my power steering sucks. Not sure if that's related to the electrical stuff.....
Old 12-14-11, 04:54 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a prev. thread along the same lines, but cant find it. I had noticed on my 93 SC4 that when I first turn the key on I heard a loud double click from under the hood. Then after a drive I didnt here the double click and had to use shift lock override, my power window didnt work and the power steering was week. I got in the kick panel and pulled fuses and put dielectric grease on them and tapped on a couple of relays. All started working again at the same time. Today I had driven the car several diff. places and its been working great for 30 days. The last stop I had the same power failure and the ABS light was on. I got in the kick panel wiggeled some wires and tapped a couple relays and the ABS light is off and all is working. Im assuming our power steering is also elec. assisted.
Old 12-14-11, 06:01 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

BTW did not affect my radio or speedo.

Last edited by over40driv; 12-14-11 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-15-11, 11:48 AM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Hmmmmm. So you just pulled out all the fuses and relays in the kick panel? I'll do that as well as check all the harness plugs and what not. Thanks for the help dude, i hope i get some of this sorted out.
Old 12-15-11, 05:31 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

The 2nd time it happened all I did was tap on the relays and wiggle wires. I got in the kick panel and was going to unplug more plugs and pull a relay and start replacing them one at a time. I work in the auto. electric business and have some excpearience with plastic plugs and these are almost impossible to unplug grease and replug. I saw approx. 6 diff. relays in the drivers side kick panel and my panel cover is gone to tell me what each one is for. I looked at another thread of a 94 SC3 which didnt seem to have the same amount of relays. So still in the dark. The relays are really hard to unplug as well.
Old 12-16-11, 03:00 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Had some more time at work to get back into the kick panel to work on the relays today. There are 3 black square ones that are the same, one big brown one that is the flasher relay, a red one and a small gray one. I broke the red one getting it out, then realized I should have unplugged one at a time until I duplicated the shift lock failure. $25.00 for the red one from Toyota, not bad. There must be a tool like a screwdriver with a bent tip on it to pull the relays. Very tight on the first removal.
Old 12-16-11, 06:53 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Does anyone have a schematic showing the purpose of the 6 relays in the drivers kick panel of a 93 SC400?
Old 12-16-11, 07:54 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rather than replacing parts without testing them grab a volt meter. You'll save your self money down the road.

ABS relies on wheel sensors speed etc. Power steering module is on the same side as ABS Module. There is a shift sensor over there too.

My advice...check the grounds on that side.
Old 12-16-11, 08:01 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

What made me think of a bad relay, is that it all worked good for 50 stop/starts. Then all at once my three items would not work or reset by taking the battery cable off.

Last edited by over40driv; 12-16-11 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-16-11, 08:29 PM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It could be a relay, but you could easily check those with a volt meter and eliminate them as a possible cause.

But here you go anyway

Quick Reply: PS, Speedo, Radio all went out. ABS light on. What just happened?