Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Rebuilding SC300 accessory belt tensioner

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-11, 04:29 AM
bruin532
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding SC300 accessory belt tensioner

First of all I've got a 1994 sc300 2JZGE.

OK my first thead on sc300 tensioner bearing PN's didn't receive any responses, so I'll try again.

To any sc300 owners who have had this problem (tensioner replacement) please respond with your solution!

I know the idler pully as long as its made of metal and not plastic (as some later one's are) is rebuildable by pressing in (or hammering should you perfer) a new bearing. Have any of you been able to rebuild dismantle and press in a new bearing into the serpentine belt tensioner body itself. I've seen pictures of them in pieces and a bearing exposed but that MAY BE from simple catistrafic failure and not part of the re-building process. Is this housing able to be opened for rebuild.

From what I've read none of the after market idler belt tensioners GATES GOODYEAR HAYDEN ETC are NOT exact fits. Either the pulley is oversized or the belt does not properly fit. Hence I would perfer to rebuild my tensioner or buy a used one verses an aftermarket part, or worse yet pay the stealership $200.

I've stethiscoped the engine for a cold start rattle/grind it sounds like the upper part of the tensioner is the problem. I'm looking to replace the bearing (s) vs whole part. In any event I'll get a used one and put it in if a rebuild for the failed part is not possible.

I understand the 92-96's are an exact match and that the 97's on are not. Is this correct?

I haven't taken it apart yet as I'm waiting to have parts in hand so I can get it back together immediately or have the machine shop turn the part around proto.

Anyone been here? Thanks Pete
Old 11-06-11, 05:31 AM
bruin532
Driver School Candidate

Well the problems solved w/o the help pf CLUBLEXUS seems all this site is good for is reading about royalpurple and getting cookies.

Last edited by bruin532; 11-06-11 at 05:34 AM.
Old 11-07-11, 04:21 AM
bruin532
Driver School Candidate

Default Removed tensioner

Removed tensioner and found that only the pulley had failed (badly) so simple fix rebuild is planned. The bearing found within TNT 6302LH is to be replace with NACHI 6302-2RS Amazon $6.

Serpentine belt to be replaced with BANDO 6PK1930 mid-west auto parts $16

Without the accessory belt installed engine runs smooth and quiet. Now I will be able to get a better read on the condition of the other takeoffs (waterpump) etc when serpentine is reinstalled.

Replaced the trunk struts with a new set of SACHS struts ebay $24.99 they work well installed easily and would recommend.

Next: I plan to swap out Denso PK20r11 with the hotter Denso PK16r11 OEM Lexus recommended. I assume the cooler PK20's were installed to help reduce high engine temp that was corrected at 99K with a new head gasket.

One oddity toyota recommends a choice of either the PK20 or PK16 to 2JZGE Supra owners. Where as Lexus recommends ONLY the PK16. Go figure???

I feel the TB heavy carbon buildup was caused by both the spark plug valley being swamped with coolant and oil (plugs 5-6) as well as the colder plugs.

Problem is the exhaust gas seems to have a slight gasoline odor during cold start up. That will only lead back to TB and EGR problems. I will need to monitor engine temp and swap back if I see a noticable rise in temp and possible reoccurance of head gasket overheating problems.

The list gets shorter and only a door seal leak is outstanding and will require immediate attention. All else is ongoing maintenance issues.

Pete