Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-02, 11:01 PM
Triton1515
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust

I'm looking to buy a new exhaust system and I was wondering, who's experimented with them enough to be able to give me a good sinopsis on which to buy? Thanks guys
Old 09-26-02, 11:24 PM
Lvangundy

I remember reading this big chart in an import magazine about which exhausts produced the most power...

Genercially speaking (no hard evidence in numbers because I don't have the magazine) if I recall, on an average most aftermarket cat-back exhausts yielded about 5-10HP. I forgot the torque readings.

Most of the tests were done on compact sport import cars, so the numbers you may get on a big Lexus engine will be different. There are also other conditions like the piping size you use, and if you choose to remove the resonators.

Quite a few members here have modified exhausts, and they they might be able to provide more information, but I don't think anyone here has any hard printed dyno numbers of before and after. (If anyone does please post!)

I personally have removed all 3 of the stock resonators and put in 2.5" piping in place, but I don't notice any difference besides more V8 growl ;-) I heard removing the catalytic convertors makes a noticeable difference in power. (illegal of course)
Old 09-28-02, 05:28 PM
Triton1515
Driver School Candidate

Default new exhaust

thanks for the info- now what about people who make exhausts. Whose is the best for the buck as far as who to buy one from
Old 09-28-02, 05:58 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well there's been the Veilside Titanium, Greddy MX, Blitz Nur-Spec, Magnaflow Race Series, Magnaflow Street Series, DoLuck, Weapon-R, Rod Millen, G-tech, and Dynomax Ultraflows used on these cars. As to which one performs best, it doesn't really matter unless you're turbocharging your car. As to which sounds the best? I have no idea. I've heard most of these mufflers, but most were on SC300s while others were on SC400s.

Last edited by lex400sc; 09-28-02 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-28-02, 11:30 PM
verylost
Lexus Test Driver

the do luck on an sc400 sounds like im driving a boat.
Old 09-29-02, 01:06 AM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

Don't forget phenix target exhaust loud but will be quite under boost price was not bad .
Old 09-29-02, 01:22 PM
g_lex_6
Driver School Candidate

Default JIC

what about the jic twin spartan? does anyone run that set up?
Old 09-29-02, 02:29 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

anyone sc owners tried fujitsubo exhaust from japan? the co makes nothing but exhaust and is one of the oem maker for many jdm tunder brands...

i am thinkink of getting one for my GS, and was wondering if anyhere has experience of them....

thanks
Old 09-30-02, 12:18 AM
undefeatedsc3
Pole Position

Originally posted by gs4will
anyone sc owners tried fujitsubo exhaust from japan? the co makes nothing but exhaust and is one of the oem maker for many jdm tunder brands...

i am thinkink of getting one for my GS, and was wondering if anyhere has experience of them....

thanks
never heard of the company, have a link to their site gs4?? sounds interesting , quite possibly there may be other options besides the Greddy MX??

-Buck
Old 09-30-02, 01:49 AM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

When you go on ther site you can listen to the exhaust so you will have a idea of what it will sound like,we just ordered for my friend turbo gs300.

Last edited by Dew23; 09-30-02 at 01:49 AM.
Old 09-30-02, 01:55 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

take(or test hear) at their site:

www.fujitsubo.co.jp

the co makes nothing but exhaust, and their clients actually include NETZ Toyota of japan, like an in-house tuner of yotota in japan..you know toyota would only ask quality co to make stuff for them...

not sure which model would fit the SC; but i am looking at the New Legalis R for my gs

Drew, which one did you guys ordered for the turbogs300?

Last edited by GS4Will; 09-30-02 at 01:56 AM.
Old 11-30-02, 07:14 PM
007lexus
Driver

hey there,
did u change the mufflers? are they still stock? Did you do anything to the orginal cats?

thanks,

Originally posted by Lvangundy
I remember reading this big chart in an import magazine about which exhausts produced the most power...

Genercially speaking (no hard evidence in numbers because I don't have the magazine) if I recall, on an average most aftermarket cat-back exhausts yielded about 5-10HP. I forgot the torque readings.

Most of the tests were done on compact sport import cars, so the numbers you may get on a big Lexus engine will be different. There are also other conditions like the piping size you use, and if you choose to remove the resonators.

Quite a few members here have modified exhausts, and they they might be able to provide more information, but I don't think anyone here has any hard printed dyno numbers of before and after. (If anyone does please post!)

I personally have removed all 3 of the stock resonators and put in 2.5" piping in place, but I don't notice any difference besides more V8 growl ;-) I heard removing the catalytic convertors makes a noticeable difference in power. (illegal of course)
Old 11-30-02, 08:36 PM
kylesc400
Lead Lap

does anybody know what the RMM mufflers sound like? theres a set for 600 on lexuspros.com that im curious about...i wrote in another thread that im looking for kinda of a raspier sound like on lex400sc's car (im just replacing the mufflers for now, no piping). the borla mufflers create a low rumble but are still fairly quiet, right? and when you guys talk about quiet aftermarket mufflers, do you mean in comparison to riced out civics or in comparison to the stock mufflers?
Old 11-30-02, 08:45 PM
AzLex
Lead Lap

I want to get a custom exhaust made. Anyone know of some good mufflers to use?
Old 12-01-02, 01:51 AM
machinegt
Pole Position

I wish there was a system where you could have a nice regular exhaust for regular use, but if someone wanted to race you, you could flip a switch and it would redirect the exhaust straight out to the sides without going to the mufflers and cats and make big big sound!

Quick Reply: Exhaust