Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Overheated; turns over, but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-11, 10:45 AM
InLyneTrbo
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheated; turns over, but won't start

So when I picked up my SC from LA, about 60 miles later something blew and I had my temp. gauge shoot all the way to the red, so when I noticed it right away, i pulled over immediately and shut it off, but there was already tons of steam coming from the engine.

Looked underneath the car, sure enough, a bunch of coolant including a whole trail was to be found. I poured water into the radiator to see if i could find where the broken hose was, and it was coming from the right side underneath the intake manifold. I felt underneath the manifold, and sure enough, a torn hose, it's the smaller hose that comes off the side of the top main radiator hose. I'm going to get the hose replaced, but for temp. fix, i wrapped the hose in duct tape and filled the car back up w/ coolant just to see if it would start. It turns over, but it won't start... I was thinking a head gasket, but even if the compression was lower in 1 cylinder, it should still be able to start w/ a miss at idle. Maybe the head is warped horribly enough to lose compression in a few cylinders... Any thoughts?? I'm going to run a compression test on friday.. Just wanted to get an idea from any members with previous experiences..
Old 07-25-11, 08:16 AM
InLyneTrbo
Pole Position

Ok anyways I found the culprit. The car wouldn't turn over because there was a build up of water in the cylinders, which was probably caused by a blown headgasket and a warped head from when it overheated, so the water would not allow spark and fuel to ignite and cause combustion. Spark plugs #5 and #6 were cracked right down the middle of the plug, and the other plugs had an orange residue (probably oxidation) occur from the water in those cylinders. So now I need a new head, new headgasket, new head bolts, spark plugs, and the coil wires for spark plugs (they were melted to the spark plug). Also, when I went to take the plugs off the injectors, when I pushed the little clips down, each one slowly snapped off.. lol so i need some new injector wire clips as well.
Old 07-27-11, 05:55 AM
DuWerke
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn man...not to mention you'll need to get the head machined to get it level again.

The money that you are possibly going to drop it get it fixed...you might as well upgrade to a GTE now.

That's what I'm doing. My 1JZ took a **** and lost compression only to find out that head is wrapped, the HG is blown...and the one of the turbos is shot.
Old 07-27-11, 07:41 AM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am assuming a 2jz-ge? where are you located? I might be able to help if you happen to be near by. Have some extra stuff laying around we can use to test before you buying new.
Old 07-27-11, 07:54 AM
unknown159
Pole Position

man that sucks
Old 07-27-11, 08:37 AM
InLyneTrbo
Pole Position

I am in the Inland Empire, in Murrieta. You have a PM
Old 07-27-11, 08:42 AM
InLyneTrbo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DuWerke
Damn man...not to mention you'll need to get the head machined to get it level again.

The money that you are possibly going to drop it get it fixed...you might as well upgrade to a GTE now.

That's what I'm doing. My 1JZ took a **** and lost compression only to find out that head is wrapped, the HG is blown...and the one of the turbos is shot.
haha naw, I want to stay 2jz-GE, i hate wiring conversions or custom wire harnesses, what a mess lol

Well at least your block is a-ok
Old 07-27-11, 01:50 PM
DuWerke
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by InLyneTrbo
haha naw, I want to stay 2jz-GE, i hate wiring conversions or custom wire harnesses, what a mess lol

Well at least your block is a-ok
Just gave me a reason to upgrade and possibly sell the busted motor for a small bit of cash to fund the rest of the project.
Old 08-03-11, 10:27 AM
InLyneTrbo
Pole Position

So this is what an your block will look like if you don't change your HG or change your coolant lines + hoses after 200,000k miles. lol

so I was wondering if I bent a rod in the process of trying to start my engine when i first overheated w/ it trying to compress the piston w/ all that water. Well, I turned the crankshaft and analyzed each piston as it came to deck @ TDC and it seemed like every single one made it to the correct position and alignment.. But so many other things could've been damaged, like piston rings, slipped bearings, etc. So I'm just going to go for a full replacement of the block and head, and hopefully buy a combo w/ the intake manifold installed, because that thing is a b**** to take apart. lol my 5 speed swap will be here in a few weeks as well