Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1JZ running issues!!!!!!! Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-11, 12:16 PM
4urxtc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1JZ running issues!!!!!!! Please help!

So today I went to the gas station and filled up with 93 octane. Went in the toughless car wash to get the car all clean. Well while waiting a just before it got to the drying portion of the wash my car died! It has never done that nor has it ever felt like it was going to do so. So I proceeded to try to start it but it wouldn't start. Well after about 2-3 mins of just sitting and waiting with the key in the off position I tried again which it starts. It immediately drops RPM and just dies. So I try again with giving it a little gas and same thing. So I wait another couple minutes and try again. This time it starts and I am able to keep the RPM's up. So I keep it rev'd at like 2000 rpm or so for a couple minutes. Then I let off and it wants to die but stays just barely at idle. So I get the revs up again and I shift into "D" so I can go home which is all of a block away luckily. So I start down the road and it wil get to about 3000 rpm and drop then 3000 rpm then stop, etc......... until I pull in the garage. I stop get out and it idles fine. I pop the hood look every where to see if anything is loose or leaking or just not right. I see and hear nothing wrong. I grab the throttle body and rev it up and it does the same thing as before revs up then drops revs up then drops..

The only thing I noticed was where the wires are extended I saw water there and figured maybe some got on the contacts or something.. I unplugged the battery and have since just let it sit. This was about 20-25 mins ago I do not have FMIC, Intake, Or anything aftermarket expcept my boost gauge and boost control which the controller is not connected at all. Oh and apexi BOV.

The other thing my car does is it take like 15-20mins of drive time for it to allow O/D to kick in. I havent run the codes but I need to know if I am right in assuming the TC - E1 Connect to read it when it is in the on position and if there is any other procedures I need to be aware of?

How do I read error codes for the ECU?

Any help would be appreciated and also I will be very greatful about any advice. Thanks
Old 01-08-11, 12:26 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

jUMP E1 to T1 and the check engine light should blink and go from there.

I think it's your ECU but go ahead and pull the codes first and go from there.
Old 01-08-11, 12:29 PM
4urxtc
Lead Lap

Do you have a link for what the codes mean when I pull them?
Old 01-08-11, 12:32 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

dag i don't have it right now but if you get me the code i can't tell you you what it is.
You search on here and you should be able to find it, i am getting ready to go home getting off from work.
Old 01-08-11, 12:34 PM
4urxtc
Lead Lap

I found a link to Soarercentral.com about the codes I believe and how to do this procedure. So I will go from here and see what it says.

Thanks tho and if you think of anything else let me know.
Old 01-08-11, 01:28 PM
99SC42
gte & na-t

there a couple members on here that are local to you worst case try to find someone and try their ecu , I am almost positive its your ecu.
Old 01-08-11, 01:38 PM
4urxtc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by quickGS300
there a couple members on here that are local to you worst case try to find someone and try their ecu , I am almost positive its your ecu.
I went back to the car and pulled the ECU... Well on the plug I saw water drip off not much but enough I am sure it was messing with it. So I brought it inside to see if there was any internal water damage. I saw now water or water stains.. I took a few pics and noticed that one of I guess the capacitors was leaky!? Who knows.. Anyway I will post them.

This is the one in question?

Does that look like a leaky capacitor to anyone?

The rest of the board looked really good! here's the rest:

The harness plugged into the ecu looked like a plug and play unit made from all white wires and looked really new unless thats how the Lexus harness looks. Anyway I will take a pic of it too in a bit.

Also, I will look for those members and see if they can help too.
Old 01-08-11, 03:59 PM
4urxtc
Lead Lap

Here's an update... waited for my car to dry completely. Then I kept the ECU out of the car for about 1-2 hrs. just to let it dry or whatever. After waiting I went down to the car hooked the ECU up and connected the positive battery terminal. I started the car and let it get to normal temps. I watched and listened for anything abnormal and nothing happened. So I backed it out of the garage and test drove it down the street. I have no more o/d flashing, It boosts well and drives well. I drove it in o/d and also manual shifted it. I seems to be driving quite well right now. So, I guess I will see what happens in the next few days if it throws a code or if the o/d light flashes again. I just think because some how water came thru the firewall and dripped on the ECU it went into safe mode and caused all the issues. I have to say I think the car needed a reset because it seems to drive like a bat out of hell and I love it. So I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will wait a while to have any issues so I can do maintenence and upgrades after I get my tax return..... Anyway, Thanks quickgs300 for your responses atleast and If you have any other thoughts let me know. thanks