Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Supercharged 400 - installing Adaptronic!

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-10, 06:01 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Supercharged 400 - installing Adaptronic!

So after running 12 psi on the stock ECU for so long I have decided to install an Adaptronic e420c.

I am going with the Adaptronic because it’s cheap, will do everything I need it to and has a good track record with the V8 people over on Lextreme and Soarercentral.

I have attached a mostly complete wiring diagram and a few pics. One pic is of my harness which was made from a flying lead ECU header connector bought from here - http://www.autosportwiring.com/ I soldered and shrink wrapped all connections. I have tested and re tested all of the connections. The other picture is of the circuit I need to build to use the ABS wheel speed sensors. Speed inputs to the e420c need to be digital and the wheel speed sensors are reluctor sensors which put out an ac signal. This circuit will convert it to digital and allow me to hook up multiple speed inputs so that I can use the traction control and launch control features of the ECU.

Other installs notes:

I not 100% sure how the AC works with the factory setup. I think that the ac control assembly controls the ground for the magnetic clutch relay and that the circuit goes through the ECU (in terminal ACMG and out terminal AC) for control purposes only. In other words so that the ECU knows when the AC is on and when it is off. If this is the case I will simply need to connect the ACMG and AC terminals together and tap a line for an input to the e420c for idle up. If I'm wrong and this does not work, the e420c is capable of controlling the relay.

I may re-arrange the factory injector wiring. The factory setup is what Lexus calls “multi-port fuel injection”. I may pair them 1&8, 4&3, 6&5 and 7&2 which would make it a semi-sequential fuel injection. I am also installing 7mgte 440cc injectors and getting rid of my Bell Engineering FMU and the 7mge 315cc injectors.

The e420c is capable of having 4 ignition outputs. I could run coil on plug wasted spark if I wanted. For now I am going to stick with the stock setup.

Outputs – I will be using the e420c to run the fuel pump. I will be using it to control my water / meth injection through a solid state relay using pulse width modulation. I will be using it to control my electric fans. 4 outputs will be used to control the factory idle stepper motor. This leaves me with a spare output.

Inputs – I will be using the factory TPS, knock, ECT, crank angle and cam angle sensors. I will be using a GM 3bar map sensor and a GM IAT sensor. I will be wiring the MAP sensor to the 420 using the factory EGR wires. I will be using the factory IAT sensor wiring for the GM sensor. Also plan to use at least one front and one rear wheel speed sensor so that I can use the traction and launch control. There will be an input for the AC. I will be using the seat heater switches to enable /disable traction and launch control. I will be using an Innovative wideband which plugs directly into the 420 via a serial port.

I have a few base maps to start with. A couple of them are setups very similar to mine. I plan on using the 420’s self-tuning abilities and will fine tune from there.

Well thats enough for now, let me know what you all think.

I plan on starting this install next Friday the 3rd. I will be on vacaton for a week so I'll have plenty of time to sort out any problems that might come up.

KC
Attached Thumbnails Supercharged 400 - installing Adaptronic!-img_1585.jpg   Supercharged 400 - installing Adaptronic!-inductivetodigvss.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Wiring Diagram.zip (48.1 KB, 182 views)

Last edited by KC95SC400; 11-25-10 at 06:11 AM.
Old 11-25-10, 07:24 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Good man good! We are all doing big things on these V8's now! I bet there is some untapped power waiting to come out.
Old 11-27-10, 07:22 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
Good man good! We are all doing big things on these V8's now! I bet there is some untapped power waiting to come out.
I'm hoping for some untapped power, this is something I really should have done along time ago.

I'm definately excited, can't wait until next Friday. I have everything about ready to go just need the time.

Here's my to do list. Probably some things missing although I'm doing my best to think of everything in order to not have too many surprises.

1. Install 440cc injectors
2. Remove FMU
3. Re-wire injectors under hood
4. Remove MaftPro wiring
5. Re-wire Map sensor
6. Re-wire cooling fans
7. Re-wire water meth pump
8. Remove and re-wire Suparstick
9. Remove stock ECU
10. Re-wire for injectors at ECU
11. Wire seat heater switches
12. Wire speed sensors
13. Re-wire for fuel pump
14. Move AEM sensor
15. Install Innovative sensor
16. Speed senosr circuits
17. Confirm AC operation

I'm still missing my solid state relay for the water / meth. I have decided to re-wire the injectors. I'm going to pair them as noted in the first post to make it semi-sequential.

I also need to verify I have the right cables to plug the thing into my laptop, that would suck.

I'm very excited, can hardly wait.

KC
Old 11-27-10, 07:51 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Good good. Yeah standalone off the bat is a great idea.... I just dont like how the stock ECU corrects for everything with a simple piggyback (ie safc2).

Last edited by RedPhoenix; 11-27-10 at 07:56 AM.
Old 11-27-10, 08:09 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
Good good. Yeah standalone off the bat is a great idea.... I just dont like how the stock ECU corrects for everything with a simple piggyback (ie safc2).
Well I can't really say anything bad about the stock ECU. The biggest problem I ever had with it is that the transmission shift points don't keep up with increased power levels which is why I got the Suprastick. But I've put about 50,000 miles + or - supercharged with the stock ECU and quite allot of runs down the track.

I do think that this will be better though.

Something else I hadn't mentioned yet. Plan to up the rev limiter a little bit to 7000-7200. At what RPM the transmission shifts at WOT will really be more dependant on where I set the shift points.

KC
Old 11-28-10, 08:17 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

So a couple of pictures attatched.

One is of course the Adaptronic. It is way smaller than I imagined it would be for some reason. Amazing to me, all the ability in such a small package.

The other is of my 4-channel ABS speed sensor convertor. Will in theory convert the signals from the speed sensors into digital pulses that the Adpatronic can use. This is so that traction control and launch control can be used. Still need to add some ground wires and find something to put it in. I am considering coating the whole board in epoxy.

KC
Attached Thumbnails Supercharged 400 - installing Adaptronic!-img_1700.jpg   Supercharged 400 - installing Adaptronic!-img_1702.jpg  
Old 11-28-10, 09:56 PM
SC400TT
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Awesome KC!! I am glad to see that you are stepping up to the next level. Great work on the traction and launch control...

Ryan
Old 11-28-10, 10:18 PM
1uzDreamSC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that adaptronics is real small lol
Old 11-29-10, 11:29 AM
1JZPWRD
1JZ Single SC400

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Cant wait to see it running and installed. Subscribed!
Old 11-29-10, 03:58 PM
spdrcr771
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Subscribed too. Good luck.
Old 11-29-10, 05:50 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks guys.

Still working a bit on the harness stuff. The install will start Thursday night or Friday.

KC
Old 12-04-10, 05:27 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Hey guys,

I think I'm just about done with the "inside" wiring. I still need to wire the switches to the Suprastick. Auto/manual select, shift table select and the manual shifter. I still need to wire my seat heater switches to the Adaptronic and wire the fuel pump. I also still need to un-wire a few things from the MAFTPro.

I do not consider myself good at wiring but this is by far the best job I've ever done. 98% of the connections are soldered and shrink wraped. There's only going to be a few t-tapped connections. I am about 99.9% sure all of the wiring is right. I had double checked my harness about 5 times, making sure that the right Adaptronic terminals are connected to the right ECU plug terminals using an ohmmeter. I'm slightly worried about the speed sensor conversion deal, not sure why. I did find a mistake in the factory wiring diagram on one of the speed sensors, the wire colors are different on the plug than the wiring diagram shows. I put it the way which makes more sence logically.

At this point, I can probably plug in the 8-way and power up the Adaptronic to load my ECU file and make sure it powers up and talks to my computer.

Would also be a good idea to check the Suprastick to make sure it works like its supposed to. I have yet to connect it to my new laptop. It uses Hyperterminal to change the settings and I haven't tried the new Windows 7 (not free) version.

I haven't touched anything under the hood yet. Still have re-wiring to do and injectors to install. Still need to install the Innovative unit and move around some sensors.

The kids are all home today so I'm not sure how much time I'll have to do anything with it.

KC
Old 12-04-10, 11:52 AM
ScottURnot
Super Moderator

I am excited to see you get this thing installed and running.
Old 12-04-10, 12:07 PM
speedaddic
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice...I am subscribing as well. I'm running the Haltech 2k on mine.
Old 12-04-10, 12:16 PM
v8soarer91
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mentioned soarercentral

reving any higher than stock limit i suggest to put on an engine oil cooler.

bullet cars / lextreme make an adaptor to run the cooler without hitting the swaybar

http://www.bulletcars.com/parts/engi...ine-parts.html
http://www.lextreme.com/oil-relocation-plate.html

Quick Reply: Supercharged 400 - installing Adaptronic!