Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

radiator light comes on and off mid drive?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-10, 07:24 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts
Default radiator light comes on and off mid drive?

Guys my radiator light comes on intermitenly --has been since i bought the car almost a year ago---the fluid is full and always has been---what can be causing this?

Does the rad just need a flush or is this something else--thermostat or some other gadget?

Also Can worn brake pads cause the e-brake light to stay on?

My pads are quite thin and are do for a change but today i noticed the light on the dash for the e-brake is starting to come on and off mid drive-----im assuming it is due to the pads?

Thanks in advance guys
Old 10-30-10, 03:03 AM
cactusmole
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the over folw tank. Does it come on when you turn?
Old 10-30-10, 03:26 AM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think i've seen the radiator light before. Is it for that or for the windshield wiper reservoir saying the level is low?

As far as the e-brake. There is no sensor for the pads. The sensor would be for the brake master cylinder fluid level. As your pads get worn out, the fluid level goes down. Also an indication that it is about time to replace the pads. If you just plain don't want to see the light then just add more brake fluid. I'd change the pads tho.
Old 10-30-10, 02:24 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cactusmole
Check the over folw tank. Does it come on when you turn?
no the light ussually comes on when i first start the car and it is warming up ---once i get driving it ussually goes away-----it goes away sometimes for weeks or months on end --im not sure what it means exactly

Originally Posted by masagsxr
I don't think i've seen the radiator light before. Is it for that or for the windshield wiper reservoir saying the level is low?

As far as the e-brake. There is no sensor for the pads. The sensor would be for the brake master cylinder fluid level. As your pads get worn out, the fluid level goes down. Also an indication that it is about time to replace the pads. If you just plain don't want to see the light then just add more brake fluid. I'd change the pads tho.

yes my pads definitely need to be swapped out ---------but in the meantime ill just top up my fluid ----thanks guys much appreciated----i realize these are not serious matters

and in terms of filling up the fluid------can any dot 3 fluid work ? or is dot 3 for power steering i forget.

Last edited by 1WILLY1; 10-30-10 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-30-10, 04:21 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by masagsxr

oh and no the windshieldf fluid light is not the one---the radiator light actually looks like a radiator----like a rectangle shaped light with a few notches in the middle------turn your key to the on position u should see all your lights come on
Old 10-30-10, 06:10 PM
aEO 37
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone mention it before in another thread but it looks like the "white house"
Old 10-30-10, 06:20 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

lol yes it does look like the white house lol
Old 10-30-10, 06:23 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe the water level sensor is mess up or going bad since you say your rad and coolant are full.