Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

1997 SC400 transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-10, 09:29 AM
bullfrogll
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 SC400 transmission

I have a sc400 issue. I was driving the car and the tranmission was going in and out. Now when I crank the car it will not go forward, backward, anything the car just revs up however does not go anywhere.

Is there a fuse or a other problem or has the tranmission just failed completly?

Thanks for your feedback
Old 10-02-10, 11:27 AM
lslade
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like what happened to mine, it may be toast. Mine was also making some odd noises when i put it in gear. I was driving on a road trip (200 miles from home of course) and it just started slipping, then nothing at all. Reverse would engage sometimes though.

You can get a pretty good scope of the condition of the transmission by pulling the pan off the bottom and inspecting the fluid, mine had TONS of metal and sludge and a good burny smell.

Maybe you'll be luckier than me though, there are some things that could possibly cause this but you'd probably need to go to a good shop to figure it out. I just did a boneyard transmission for 350 bucks and installed it myself...it's a big job but it's doable in the garage with nice jackstands and a trans jack. Tons of tutorials online to help you out.
Old 10-02-10, 10:28 PM
Photon440
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm assuming that you've checked for the proper fluid levels, and the colour of the ATF is normal?
Old 10-02-10, 11:21 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 194 Likes on 138 Posts

Im not a mechanic but it sounds like your tranny is shot.

I am not sure but I know sometimes when an ECU is acting up it can cause all sorts of issues with these cars---------look into whether or not an ECU can be the culprit-----its not likely but it is a much easier fix than a tranny swap or rebuild---

And how many miles do u have on your car?

The fact that u put it into drive and reverse and nothing happens seems to be a electrical issue rather than mecanical---even a damaged tranny should stil have some grip and be able to move the car at least a little---maybe your car isnt even going into gear at all---not getting proper signal or something---------

Hope you figure it out --good luck
Old 10-03-10, 12:24 AM
TechGreek
Lexus Test Driver

Either the clutch pack is fried or the torque converter's internal pump has gone out (unlikely). You need a rebuild sir!

If the clutch pack is fried, you could floor it in D/R and it not make a difference; it would be like dumping the clutch in a manual with a burnt clutch.
Old 10-03-10, 07:29 PM
JakeBreyck
Pole Position

Time for a manual ;-)
Old 10-03-10, 08:12 PM
mtnrat
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JakeBreyck
Time for a manual ;-)
x2
Old 10-03-10, 08:13 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Change your transmission fluid, it happened to me sometimes it would engage and go but sometimes when i gas it it jumps gears first gear to 4th and sometimes it'll be like neutral revving. I drained it and filled it up the fluid was black suppose to be bright red

Fluid is like 3-4 bucks a pop, just grab 2 and drain and refill. 8 dollar fix is better than $500!