Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

SC400 Transmission Dipstick - Do I have the Wrong One?

Old 08-20-14, 03:34 PM
DanielDD
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default SC400 Transmission Dipstick - Do I have the Wrong One?

Guys,

Need your help! When I bought this car last month, the transmission was whining pretty bad in 1st and 2nd gear, but otherwise drove normally. I took it to a reputable transmission shop and they told me the planetary gears were getting ready to go and I was looking at a $2400.00 repair bill.

On a whim, I decided to drop the pan and see what kind of damage was in there. Now, this car has 155K miles on it. I dropped the pan and was surprised to find absolutely NO debris in the pan. The 3 magnets were clean!

So, I pulled the strainer, cleaned it up (it was pretty clean as well) and put everything back together. Everything I've read says to put back 2 quarts of Toyota T-IV transmission fluid, which I dutifully did.

I do have to mention that I took out a gallon (4 quarts) when I drained the pan. I then took it for a drive….

The whine was completely gone!

It drives beautifully!

I think the transmission was overfilled!

Now, here is where I need your assistance please. This is an SC400. My dipstick is orange (maybe red) at the top and if you read the cap on the dipstick and the dipstick itself, it says to use T-II transmission fluid, not Type IV. Also, my fluid level is extremely low on the dipstick. I'm wondering if I have the right dipstick. Would you please check your SC400 dipstick and tell me what it says?? Is the dipstick cap orange? And what type transmission fluid does it say to use?

Here is mine:

Last edited by DanielDD; 08-20-14 at 03:39 PM.
Old 08-20-14, 07:17 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

My dipstick looks the same. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Type T-IV a newer version of the T-II used when these cars were made?

I would try filling it back up to the proper level and see if that affects the whine. Maybe it just needed bad fluid drained and the level is coincidental, in which case you don't want to risk running low.