Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

r-154 soarer tranny problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-10, 01:42 PM
rfinnie91
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default r-154 soarer tranny problems

so i got a sc300 with a 2jzgte in it with the r154 soarer transmission... when just starting to go it makes like a squealing noise and some times shutters quite hard.. any help will help thanks.. the transmission fluid is good. what could it be?
Old 08-04-10, 02:41 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

maybe a little more info, is this a new motor/tranny setup, just the tranny? stock diff?
clutch/PP combo?

sounds like the break in period on my act 6 puck sprung clutch kit with the extreme PP on my w58.
It sounds like a "wwweeeeeeeeeeeeeee thud thud thud" and then "bam" you are in gear.
The wee went away for the most part after break in and the shuddering when I got new motor mounts. the open diff can also shudder, for me its from a stop when I give it too much gas without spinning tires, the insides of the diff just go crazy for a second.
Old 08-04-10, 02:46 PM
rfinnie91
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah its a new tranny engine setup done in the last 5k miles or so.. it sounds like just the tranny.. its a stock diff and apparentley its got a stage 1 clutch in it.. its like a weee/whining noise only when your taking off in first or reverse.. then when downshifting it makes a little erjghh noise.. mostly only shutters when starting to reverse..
Old 08-04-10, 03:01 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

yup alot of members have that happen with various clutch setups.
I still get it on some mornings for one or 2 slips and then the wee is gone.
I never found a straight answer, but I read it has something to do with the different materials in the harder clutch setups that make noise when they contact the flywheel, especially when they are cold. always resurface/replace the flywheel for best results.
the more mileage you put on the clutch/flywheel their surfaces will actually change and make less noise. you should also notice a decrease in noise once they warm up.

I'm not saying this is 100% your issue, but its almost identical to what i went through, I was so upset i thought i blew all the money on my clutch setup to have it squeal everywhere, then I found out it was "normal" and I ragged on it till it started to go away. if you blow your trans ragging on it I am not responsible =)
Old 08-05-10, 08:26 AM
shonuff53
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

this might be nothing at all but it depends... I say you make a video of it and post it on here, also note if the noise changes when clutch pedal is depressed or not.