Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Let's just pretend I touched the inside of the MAF...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-10, 01:38 PM
Allaretake
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let's just pretend I touched the inside of the MAF...

I inadvertently touched the inside of the MAF (the back end) a few time with really dirty hands.

What course of action do I take now?
Old 05-30-10, 02:47 PM
masagsxr
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

theres a MAF sensor cleaner you can buy. Not Throttle body cleaner but specifically MAF sensor cleaner.
Old 05-30-10, 03:17 PM
kanukem
Rookie

be very very careful with maf sensor cleaners.....i **** you not, those things are finicky. research heavily before you actually do it. there's a couple of people who tried spraying cleaner before putting on their piggyback fuel controllers and killed their maf. karmen-vortex sensors i believe is what we use. correct me if im wrong. i may not be right but at least itll get you out there thinking
Old 05-30-10, 03:45 PM
Allaretake
Driver

Are Q-tips ok?
Old 05-30-10, 05:59 PM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...er-or-not.html
Old 06-01-10, 01:11 PM
Klaus
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Our MAFs are karman vortex MAFs. DO NOT clean them with MAF cleaner, most MAF cleaners actually say that specifically on the can. Use a cue tip and compressed air if you need to
Old 06-01-10, 01:33 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

if you are 92-95 you have a karman vortex maf. you generally do not need to clean these because you can't actually touch the mirrors inside with your bare hands. If you touched the plastic part in the middle it doesnt matter at all, just gently wipe it clean, the sensors are inside the base of that unit. I started a thread on cleaning these, it can be done but its not the same as a hotwire maf, the goal in cleaning here is to make sure there is no debri or smudges on the little mirrors inside, which involves a nerve-wrecking edge of a paper towel assault at various angles to get the mirrors super clean, electrical or maf cleaner is not needed in this situation although it could help clean the mirrors i guess (i think in the end i used a drop of windex, can't remember).
when these mirrors get dirty or smudged they can affect the frequency the sensor picks up off of them. either way, its not recommended unless your karman vortex maf is already bad and you have nothing to loose. you have a very strong possibility of breaking it if you just shoot it with maf cleaner and call it a day.

if you have a 96+ then you have a hotwire maf and its really easy you just shoot the resistor looking things with a bunch of maf cleaner (you will see the dirt literally fall off of it) and let it dry out for a while and you are good to go. there is no need to use a Q-tip at all. using a Q tip is the only way you can break the resistor off which is not good. (im not saying you cannot use a q-tip, but its a use at your own risk sort of thing).

I was following your thread for the bfi, you probably don't have to do anything, reinstall it first especially if you have a 92-95. i've touched the outside parts a million times with really dirty hands. it wont do a thing.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 06-01-10 at 05:57 PM. Reason: wrong year range
Old 06-01-10, 04:52 PM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
if you are 92-96 you have a karman vortex maf. you generally do not need to clean these because you can't actually touch the mirrors inside with your bare hands. If you touched the plastic part in the middle it doesnt matter at all, just gently wipe it clean, the sensors are inside the base of that unit. I started a thread on cleaning these, it can be done but its not the same as a hotwire maf, the goal in cleaning here is to make sure there is no debri or smudges on the little mirrors inside, which involves a nerve-wrecking edge of a paper towel assault at various angles to get the mirrors super clean, electrical or maf cleaner is not needed in this situation although it could help clean the mirrors i guess (i think in the end i used a drop of windex, can't remember).
when these mirrors get dirty or smudged they can affect the frequency the sensor picks up off of them. either way, its not recommended unless your karman vortex maf is already bad and you have nothing to loose. you have a very strong possibility of breaking it if you just shoot it with maf cleaner and call it a day.

if you have a 97+ then you have a hotwire maf and its really easy you just shoot the resistor looking things with a bunch of maf cleaner (you will see the dirt literally fall off of it) and let it dry out for a while and you are good to go. there is no need to use a Q-tip at all. using a Q tip is the only way you can break the resistor off which is not good. (im not saying you cannot use a q-tip, but its a use at your own risk sort of thing).

I was following your thread for the bfi, you probably don't have to do anything, reinstall it first especially if you have a 92-96. i've touched the outside parts a million times with really dirty hands. it wont do a thing.

^^^just a clarification. 92-95 are karman vortex. 96+ are hotwire.

I noticed on your profile that you have a 96 sc300. Go ahead and buy the maf cleaner. It will work no problem on your hotwire maf.
Old 06-01-10, 05:57 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

good catch, thanks. ill edit it. it is 92-95, 96 is odb2 hence the switch.
Old 06-01-10, 06:34 PM
turbopwr
Driver

so are us 92-95 guys **** out of luck when it comes to cleaning it ?
Old 06-01-10, 08:48 PM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by turbopwr
so are us 92-95 guys **** out of luck when it comes to cleaning it ?
not necessarily. You can use compressed air, a cotton swab with alcohol (very gently!), or an electronic parts cleaner (best for karman maf's)
Old 06-03-10, 02:36 PM
Eul_SC300
Driver School Candidate

Don't use the Maf Cleaner!!! It messed mine up(karmen vortex) and my car would start afterward...I had to by another maf.