Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Need help with rack&pinion actuator/solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-10, 07:16 PM
clentonz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with rack&pinion actuator/solenoid

Hello all,
To keep this as short as possible...I replaced the alternator, PS pump, and rack and pinion on my 95' SC400. I used autozone(...) for the parts using my old cores to keep the price as low as possible. I actually got everything in and started it up to put fluid back in....I hear a 'pop' and ATF fluid starts gushing out of this part..... The bottom picture(from D3AN's write up) is the part that I'm missing(with the 2 red wires coming out of the cylinder/solenoid.

The problem is the rack and pinion I got from autozone didn't come with this part and my core with this part "is already shipped off"....autozone said they doubt they could find it and my best luck was to take it to the dealer this is mostly my fault, I didn't know what all came on/with the core. I didn't have the core with me at the time of pick up to compare the two.

They couldn't even tell me what the part was that was missing/etc. I think its the Power Control Valve? Either way I have a few questions...

1. When I started it up without this solenoid attached, could I have damaged anything? I turned the car off as soon as it started gushing fluid.

2. Where can I find this part? Can I just 'block off' the hole and run w/o the solenoid?(I read somewhere that you can do this using a 14mmX1.5mm fuel sump...and that your steering will just be at full tilt/pressure all the time)

Either way, thank you for the help! I know it was really dumb of me to forget something like this, but this is my first time working on this car(using the write-up's from CL )
Attached Thumbnails Need help with rack&pinion actuator/solenoid-dscn0608...2.jpg   Need help with rack&pinion actuator/solenoid-dscn0610....2.jpg   Need help with rack&pinion actuator/solenoid-11.jpg  
Old 05-19-10, 04:40 AM
Johnny3
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try car-part.com or a auto salvage
Don't think you damaged anything in that short length of time.
Really think you would want to use the solenoid, you don't want full assist at hiway
speed, too sensitive.
Ebay has a few rebuilders you might contact to pick one up, do a search "rack & pinion" on ebay & google.
Old 05-19-10, 05:30 AM
RyanV
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im sure Aliga in the for sale forum has this part.
Old 05-19-10, 02:20 PM
clentonz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I'll contact Aliga about the part.

Can I 'seal/block' it off temporarily until I find another power assist solenoid? What can I use to cap it?