Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

MAF Translator Pro..

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-10, 08:08 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default MAF Translator Pro..

Ok before we get into this too much, I know its another piggy back, but its going to be some time before I can get my hands on an AEM unit, and Im selling my current setup soon, but need my car back on the road..

So I have been looking in the MAF Translator Pro or GEN2 (http://www.maftpro.com/) mainly cause it seems to have more features than the Greddy EMU, SAFC (2 or NEO), and I can still go to a map setup, and not spend $600 for a black chrome box and CD and still need to make the harness

Does anyone have experience with the MAFT-Pro on an na-t SC/Supra. If so how did you like it (not comparing to a standalone), ease of use, data loggin, AFR tracking, etc..

any input on it would be great, cause if its worth it, it may be ordered at the end of the week and be ready for the rest of the new parts.
Old 02-08-10, 02:41 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

no one has experience with them? I know the DSM and GNX guys love them, and seen a couple on USDM TT Supra's, but thats it.
Old 02-09-10, 08:44 PM
SC51
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive used the first Maf translator listed on my built GSX with Safc2 also, the adjustments were pretty basic didnt seem to do much, wanted it for the gm blow threw Maf mainly.. but id also like to kno bout the pro as well.
Old 02-10-10, 11:27 AM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

All I have heard so far is is that its basically an advanced SAFC controller that has the option to convert to map, the Gen2 and Pro allows and "auto tuning" function similar to the Greddy EMU which will basically set itself when paired with a wideband o2. But I dont think the Gen2 allows a speed density conversion.

So I am going to give it a shot, and order the MAFT Pro and convert to MAP using a 3 bar map sensor and hopefully all goes well
Old 02-12-10, 08:17 PM
sc-driver
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let us know how it goes, from what I've been reading, it seems very promising. Good Luck!
Old 02-12-10, 08:36 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

oh yeah, I will keep everyone posted and try and post up a full review of it and the pros/cons when using it to convert to MAP..but its going to be a little while before the car is ready to be started, and driving again.
Old 02-14-10, 10:45 AM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

I've been using it for two + years now on my supercharged SC400. Haven't blown anything up yet!

About 12psi, stock motor, stock timing running speed density with a GM 3bar and IAT (NO MAF).

Tuning is pretty easy. You can make custom VE tables if you want. The auto AFR works well for boost, never really got it to work well for normal driving.

KC
Old 02-14-10, 12:35 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KC95SC400
I've been using it for two + years now on my supercharged SC400. Haven't blown anything up yet!

About 12psi, stock motor, stock timing running speed density with a GM 3bar and IAT (NO MAF).

Tuning is pretty easy. You can make custom VE tables if you want. The auto AFR works well for boost, never really got it to work well for normal driving.

KC

Absolutely wonderful, thank you! How hard was it to convert the wiring from MAF to map?
Old 02-14-10, 01:04 PM
KC95SC400
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by turbodremz
Absolutely wonderful, thank you! How hard was it to convert the wiring from MAF to map?
No converting needed. The MAFTPro has a "MAF IN" wire and a MAF OUT" wire. The in comes from the sensor if connected and the out goes to the ECU. When it is set to speed density, only the out to the ECU is used. The MAP sensor reading is converted to a MAF sensor reading (which is fed to the ECU). If the MAF in is connected while using speed density, the signal can be logged but it isn't actually used for the MAF out calculation.

It can also be used to modify the MAF signal like any other piggy back. Changes the MAF out signal based on the MAF in signal and your settings.

There is also a "hybrid" mode which I've never played with. I assume it somehow uses the MAF signal along with the MAP signal.

KC
Old 02-14-10, 01:37 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

that makes thing much easier and clearer to understand. Thanks a million for the info.
Old 02-27-10, 03:52 PM
turbodremz
Lexus Champion

Ok still a little more messing with setting to get it 100% correct, but I started the car up today with the MAFT Pro installed, and the MAF removed, and all I can say is wow, what a difference.

The build is still in the first stages, but a video should be up in a few weeks once everything is set and running 100%